• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia API.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gudvinr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Related anime/manga? Hey, why not.

Wow, it's awesome. Glad to hear that.
Your dev support best of all I've ever seen.

Many thanks.
Dimitry Gosselin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Hey dormcat you hear that? All the effort you put on the releases is being noticed! Smile

But as far as making that info available through the API, I'm afraid that's not going to be possible. While the releases are nominally classified under Encyclopedia, in reality they are on a completely different backend, dating to before the Encyclopedia. Integrating the releases into the API would require development time which is just not available at the moment.

So for the moment if you really need release data I would recommend scraping. Please use a user-agent string with "bot" in it.

Hello, I made some test and it seems that I can have access to the release of some manga (ex: cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/api.xml?manga=1223) and for some not (ex: cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/api.xml?manga=11816).

It seems that for the second manga, the release data are in another page. I don't know if it's related.

I find the discussion above and I wanted to know if it always the case or if it's possible, now?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The second one hasn't been licensed in English so has no releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MoombaDS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Is there currently any way (or plans to implement a way) to access Light Novel information via the API in the same way as manga and anime?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Light novels are [generally] under manga. If you pull the data for all manga then you can filter it down by type/precision. Doesn't look like either of those are direct variables right now.
MoombaDS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Light novels are [generally] under manga. If you pull the data for all manga then you can filter it down by type/precision. Doesn't look like either of those are direct variables right now.

Are you certain that any light novels are listed under manga at all? I admit I haven't done any truly thorough checks, but running a few queries to look for any light novels that might be available through the data on manga, I only turn up manga adaptations for Spice & Wolf (only id=8538 no id=13639) and the same for both Sword Art Online and Rokka no Yuusha.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't try looking for specific examples. Odd that they would be listed as manga for all functions except the API.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Light Novels are stored as manga, but they are "quarantined" (like "Live Action" and "US TV") so they are treated differently.
They do appear to be excluded from the API for this reason; the Danmachimanga is a available, but the LN is not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MoombaDS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
They do appear to be excluded from the API for this reason; the Danmachimanga is a available, but the LN is not.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Any chance this might change in the future? It would be great to be able to grab info on light novels in addition to manga!
Lightzo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

I'm a novice programmer and I'm trying to improve my skills. I want to make an app where users can use the ANN database to look up animes by rating/alphabetically and genre.

So if I wanted to find some new fantasy animes to watch, I'd:
- Select the fantasy genre
- Sort the list by rating (or alphabetically if I wanted to)
- and then see the relevant animes in the report list

I've seen that this functionality is available at animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/search/genre, and was wondering if the API supports it.

Thanks,

Lightzo
rtheone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey there, quick question, are there any API calls available to retrieve the information in XML format used by /encyclopedia/people.php and /encyclopedia/company.php, particularly which works they've worked on and what their position was?

If not, is such a feature possible and are there any plans to implement such functionality? I would personally really appreciate not having to write or use a scraper. I've rather blindly tested a few query strings to no avail and searched the forums for a while but couldn't find any information on the subject, so thanks in advance for any responses.
KaitharVideo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, a few pages back it was mentioned that minor characters aren't returned in the XML output of the API, this still appears to be the case. Any chance the full cast list could be returned?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5