• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Monster Musume Creator Goes to Comiket to Buy Dōjinshi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha, that's great. Nice to see mangaka who appreciate fanart and doujinshi.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Very true and tells fans go ahead make fan art of my characters I will support you myself
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I guess he went in disguise, but the fact that he revealed himself to do it afterwards at all shows a difference in law between Japan and the United States--well, the culture, at least.

Creators in the United States (and Canada, and many European countries) are not allowed to even look at fan-works (or if they do, keep it a complete secret), as there have been cases where they have been sued for plagiarism by said fans claiming that the official work derived story ideas, character designs, or other creative elements from the fan-works, demanding monetary compensation. By having no evidence that the creators have seen, read, or heard the fan-works, they remain immune to these kinds of legal attacks. (Not that the fans don't try--someone tried to sue SEGA over the designs of the Babylon Rogues in Sonic Riders, claiming they look too similar to his original characters, but the staff was saved because of said lack of evidence. On the other hand, there was conclusive evidence of background artwork of characters from DeviantArt used in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, but it was settled out of court, to my memory.)

In other words, fanartists and fanfiction writers outside of Japan take "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" extremely seriously; they will take the creators to court over it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't this guy make hentai doujinshi before Monster Musume? It's not like this is some new territory.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this guy taking it with humour and joy. I had a real laugh when he went "fufufu" (a laughter I often use) Razz
AnimeAngel327

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Shout Out to Okayado! He will never cease to amaze me! Anime hyper

"I always wanted to see a Lala Hentai Dojinshi but, why did it have to be tentacles?!" ><

#MonsterGirls4Life #LalaBestGirl
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I guess he went in disguise, but the fact that he revealed himself to do it afterwards at all shows a difference in law between Japan and the United States--well, the culture, at least.

Creators in the United States (and Canada, and many European countries) are not allowed to even look at fan-works (or if they do, keep it a complete secret), as there have been cases where they have been sued for plagiarism by said fans claiming that the official work derived story ideas, character designs, or other creative elements from the fan-works, demanding monetary compensation. By having no evidence that the creators have seen, read, or heard the fan-works, they remain immune to these kinds of legal attacks. (Not that the fans don't try--someone tried to sue SEGA over the designs of the Babylon Rogues in Sonic Riders, claiming they look too similar to his original characters, but the staff was saved because of said lack of evidence. On the other hand, there was conclusive evidence of background artwork of characters from DeviantArt used in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, but it was settled out of court, to my memory.)

In other words, fanartists and fanfiction writers outside of Japan take "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL" extremely seriously; they will take the creators to court over it.

Some people take it so seriously, i write a lot of fanfiction and if the author really did copy my idea i would be so honored, not upset and money grubbing.

Example, I write some Fairy Tail fanfics and recently some things i wrote actually happened a few months later in the manga spoiler[ Catgirl Carla was actually something I wrote in my story three or four months before it was canon, Also I wrote a spinoff in which Mira's daughter had access to a Seilah Take-Over, about four or five months later in the manga Mira used Seilah's soul as a take over]

Do I think MAshima copied my idea, of course not, he has better things to do then read my NSFW fanfictions. And even if he did why should I care, my stories are based off his work, it would only be fair.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love a mangaka trolling his own fans Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Got to respect one's roots. Good on-'im. Though I 'll hazard a guess he was also seeing just what H had been created as well. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Didn't this guy make hentai doujinshi before Monster Musume? It's not like this is some new territory.

He made such comics using characters from Monster Musume before he made Monster Musume a monthly series.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
By having no evidence that the creators have seen, read, or heard the fan-works, they remain immune to these kinds of legal attacks. (Not that the fans don't try--someone tried to sue SEGA over the designs of the Babylon Rogues in Sonic Riders, claiming they look too similar to his original characters, but the staff was saved because of said lack of evidence. On the other hand, there was conclusive evidence of background artwork of characters from DeviantArt used in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, but it was settled out of court, to my memory.)

I remember the DeviantArt/All Star Racing one, since (assuming I am thinking about the same thing) I had actually followed/watched the artist that it happened to when it all went down. IIRC, one of her fanarts of Sonia the hedgehog (Sonic's sister in the show Sonic Underground) was somehow used as BG art in one of the race tracks in the game (I think someone working on the game "didn't do their research" on where the image came from and thought it was official character art? Something like that .) I wanna say it was settled out of court, and I think even SEGA themselves apologized to her about it. I dont believe she was raging about it- just in a "...what?" reaction when told about it.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wouldn`t purchase hentai or want to see it, if I made a series. I can`t stop but I still would avoid it.
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
When people are making doujin works out of you stories, that's when you know you've made it Razz
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Happy Fapping, hope you go to the next Comiket.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well that got to be a little weird
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3