• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toriyama Expresses Dissatisfaction With Dragon Ball Adaptations

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, Dragon Ball Super does have pretty lackluster production values most of the time. I actually like what they're doing with the story and characters, but it can be tough to watch when it alternates between good art and horrendous art every few seconds. And knowing Toei, those edits for the home release won't be too significant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Animation and perhaps pacing aside, there could be other things that he doesn't like about Super, like for example, the changes made to Beerus during the Battle of Gods arc or the changes made to most of the F arc.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Toei just doesn't seem to care about putting any budget into their shows no matter how valuable the ip is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
the changes made to Beerus

What changes? He's exactly the same as in the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Zodd: That's why my nickname for them is Toupee. Laughing
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super's production quality is kind of all over the place which is unfortunate. I really don't think Toei is that bad a studio, honestly, but when they're working on so many projects at once I guess it's inevitable. I can understand Toriyama's displeasure a bit.

I will say that I do love Super. I enjoy it a lot and I seriously thought the Ressurection F arc in Super was better than the Ressurection F movie.

One thing that does suck big time is the OST. It's really bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:

I think there are plenty of good tracks, actually. Most if it is just wallpaper sound, though. Not terrible, not great.

Sumitomo is still doing better with this than he did with the Buu arc of DBZ Kai.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It becomes pretty much a good question whether if Toriyama hates GT more than Super or perhaps the other way around.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
As expected. I would be, too.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Toei just doesn't seem to care about putting any budget into their shows no matter how valuable the ip is.

They shovel money into Precure every year. The sakuga and top crop of voice actors and sprinkled frequently inside. Though much of the main show could be considered 'on a budget' quality it never stoops down to the level of Sailor Moon Crystal of DB Super. The reason is quite simple, i'd say. Precure is an active, and profiting franchise that they can botch whole seasons with bad characters, have the lamest final boss, or whatever, and the goods still sell for the kids. Meanwhile these nostalgia focused shows might not command enough return. DB Super looks vastly better than Sailor Moon Crystal, and at least pulls in good ratings on a weekly basis, which translate into better sales. SMC, meanwhile, still sells goods with art stylings pulled from the original show, since no one cares about the new one.

Toei's been in this business for decades, they won't write a check that won't cash.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

I think there are plenty of good tracks, actually. Most if it is just wallpaper sound, though. Not terrible, not great.

Sumitomo is still doing better with this than he did with the Buu arc of DBZ Kai.

The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary. This is an extremely rare case where the localized BGM is better than the original. Seriously, if you type "bruce f" into youtube the first name that comes up is Faulconer.

Another example of a really good localized BGM was the Toonami cut of Immortal Grand Prix which featured music by Ninja Tune as well as narration by Peter Cullen. The uncut version has a different soundtrack which I like as well, so it's good news that the Discotek version will include both cuts:
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-04/igpx-dvd-set-delayed-again-due-to-misprint/.97196
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary. This is an extremely rare case where the localized BGM is better than the original. Seriously, if you type "bruce f" into youtube the first name that comes up is Faulconer.

That music is a complete insult to the franchise, both for being replacement music and for not getting the wuxia elements. Maybe there was a couple of good tunes, but they had no place in DBZ. It is deeply disrespectful for an American licensor/dub studio to take out the original music and put in other music, anyway. I'm glad they don't normally do that sort of thing anymore.

Faulconer's score was too busy trying to emphasize a feeling of a "badass" attitude rather than the natural emotions and power of the characters and scenarios the way an orchestral score like Shunsuke Kikuchi's did. It often was placed in scenes in a way that completely rewrote the context of a scene. Or in scenes that weren't even supposed to have music in them, in some occasions.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:

The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary.

Original English dub?....The Ocean Dub would be the original english dub with the funimation dub and all it's awful Bruce Faulconer music being the 2nd.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary. This is an extremely rare case where the localized BGM is better than the original.
Sorry but I have to disagree. I think the original japanese music is far superior. Faulconer is okay I guess but I once I switched to the japanese BGM, I didn't go back.

penguintruth wrote:

I'm personally not a fan of Sumitomo's style, or... multiple styles. It feels inconsistent, dull and kinda out of place for me... most of it.
I have yet to see Kai though so can't judge on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Desa wrote:

The BGM for the original English dub of DBZ by Bruce Faulconer was legendary.

Original English dub?....The Ocean Dub would be the original english dub with the funimation dub and all it's awful Bruce Faulconer music being the 2nd.

Na another company did the dub before them, called Harmony Gold.

but neither one finished, so the first completed dub would be by funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3