• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lord Marksman and Vanadis BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikramit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sigh ,their was 10 volumes of the light novel out by the time the anime was out their are now 13 with volume 14 coming out soon. One of a very large array of story threads the anime skips over is then made the main focus of the series in arc 2 so no sequel and based on how utterly terrible this adaptation (badly told summary ) was I'm fine with that this series had a lot of potential but it was completely wasted here. I agree that the anime is a mess the only reason its getting even a bit of a pass is because of the strength of the source material, the staff did a an incredibly bad job with this even given the 13 eps limit there is such a difference in terms of quality between source material and anime here
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I was apparently looking at the manga adaptation listing with the "all that was published at the time" comment. Will correct the review to reflect that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikramit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Honest mistake, honestly I've haven't read a review for this series online that hasn't at least got 1 thing wrong (from a factual perspective ) .... which is appropriate I guess.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
It still amazes me that Caitlin Glass is able to record her lines and direct the series at the same time. I know she did it with Ouran as well, but dam that can't be easy for anyone to do.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
^
She did have help in this case. She mentioned in one of the audio commentaries that Tia Ballard and Apphia Yu both did some of the directing while she was attending to some unspecified obligation. That's probably why they are listed in the credits as "Assistant ADR Directors."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The anime did get me to read the novels, but the novels really made me wish it was 24-26 unrushed episodes or that they only covered 3 volumes.

It isn't that I hate the anime, but it is so far below the books that I really have no interest in seeing it again. Usually when a series gets me interested in its source it also means I liked the series enough to purchase the disc version.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought the premise was a mess. If you want to complete the European analogy, you have Russian generals capturing and ransoming German barons- fine, makes sense at least- but instead they invade Germany on the Barons behalf while the Tzar hems and haws; A foreign military force is either part of an invasion or occupation, they can't be neutral unless they're given land. And then some people from Arabia tries to conquer Germany and the Russian generals aid the rest of the Barons because they're too busy fighting each other or something.

And I probably should mention those generals are all women who choose their own successors but are still higher in society than the usual feudal lords, not only in Russia but the rest of the world apparently. And add they're "one woman army magic weapons", oh and the world has battle dragons for some reason. I don't know why, maybe the Vanadis were there to fight dragons originally and things got out of hand.

I have so many issues with this premise- not the show but the LNs- but I'll just ask one question: Elly has a castle and her own followers, army and peasantry like any other lordly medieval fantasy setting. Are they given to her along with the Sacred Weapon or are they property of the weapon and she's just borrowing them as well? The series makes it clear she's a former bandit, both her and her second, so it's all kind of questionable to me. It's not just the trouble imagining a nation run by a series of chosen conquerors that works but that it's a system of seven of them just under a standard monarchy. But wouldn't such a nation be run by a council of the seven?

The series kind of implies that it's a responsibility but that doesn't make any sense either because they're all petty and flighty. And then there's schooling and experience necessary for the position- military or political, take your pick, so people can have the knowledge to run such things.

"Here's your holy magic weapon. You fiefdom's over there, you need taxes to pay for an army but don't overtax them or they'll rebel. That's the basics, I guess. And now I'm dead."

I really think this whole series was doomed from the start as the basics weren't well planned out- one idea, make all the factions part of one nation but separate military from nobility-, though I haven't finished it. Does it get better after episode 11?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
You seem to be confused on quite a bit of stuff.

- Tigre essentially just hired Elen's army as a PMC. Elen doesn't enter the country to fight the Kingdom of Brune. She is hired to fight in a squabble between vassals. Now Elen does end up fighting for Brune eventually for which the king of Brune grants her land (which she already agreed to give to the king of Zhcted).

- The Vanadis don't choose their own successors. The weapons do. When the weapon chooses them, it tells them to go to the capital. Then the king then gives them the territory which includes all the people, soldiers, and castles.

- Vanadis aren't necessarily higher than feudal lords from other countries in status. Ganelon and Thernadier were negotiating with them on equal ground.

- Zhcted isn't run by a council of Vanadis because the weapons choose Vanadis to support the king. A weapon can choose another Vanadis whenever it wants. You may also have noticed that they don't all get along.

- You're acting like they build up their territory from nothing... There were already trained and educated officials running the place. Now a Vanadis can certainly replace them as they want, but the weapons wait until they find someone qualified. It isn't like you'd end up with a total idiot somehow. It does seem they often lack specific knowledge about that kind of stuff, but as long as they know who does have it, they don't necessarily need it themselves to start with.

- The 'Barons' weren't too busy fighting themselves to go fight 'Arabia'. Thernadier's forces fought them and won when they were trying to take hold of a port. Tigre's forces fought them in the south. It is just that only Tigre (and some of the knights) cared about saving the area in the south. The two other major groups were just concerned with keeping their own territories safe from 'Arabia'. Well, actually, Thernadier was going to fight in the south afterwards, but he was going to let them overrun it while he secured the port and gathered enough troops.

- The biggest threat to 'Russia' is 'Arabia'. Now saving Tigre was just the whim of a Vanadis and convenient for the plot, but stepping in to stop 'Arabia' from getting more land makes sense. Ludmilla's territory borders 'Arabia' and is actively hostile so letting them expand isn't exactly great for her. The king of 'Russia' values stability over everything else. He would have offered support eventually anyway even if Ludmila hadn't intervened.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
It still amazes me that Caitlin Glass is able to record her lines and direct the series at the same time. I know she did it with Ouran as well, but dam that can't be easy for anyone to do.

I was wondering about that too. however she's not the only VA to do that. Liam O Brien both voice as well as the head writer and did ADR Direction for The Girl with the Third Eye back when Right Stuff/Nozumi Animation was doing English dub releases even though they only did two (2x2 Shinobuden / Ninja Nonsense was the other). And Tony Oliver have done the same for Bang Zoom , mainly ADR and head writer positions for the English dub scripts when that studio was commissioned to voice series that were licensed by Manga Ent and Bandai Ent.

but yea, it sure as hell cant be easy ,especially for the average fan who doesn't understand the VA world. and none of the VAs have particularly have said on how do they keep that balance when they could have back when Bang Zoom was doing the Adventures in Voice Acting series and Funi was doing their interviews with the voice actors online series as well. its definitely would make some of us that aren't in that deep with the industry to at least get a know how on some are able to do both if not multiple positions at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
In volume 13, spoiler[Tigre sleeps with Eleonora and has his first kiss]. I wonder what Joel would think of that.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
nothing but head shakes and eye rolls throughout the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1