• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goro Miyazaki & Polygon Pictures' Ronja the Robber's Daughter Wins International Emmy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
Weirdly enough, Sweden might very well license this one (if they haven't already), so that's another venue I need to look into. Because I wouldn't mind seeing what Goro Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli will do to what was once a part of my childhood.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed this one. Although it was a bit childish in terms of humor at times, it was in the spirit of the Word Masterpiece Theater and other old anime based on western children's books. The show also surprised me in more than one way, and evoked strong emotions in me in some scenes.

I'm looking forward to whatever Goro is doing next, and I hope Satoshi Takabe will work with him again because his music is wonderful.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Weirdly enough, Sweden might very well license this one...

It's been on the air since end of January in Sweden. I don't think it is anything weird, Astrid Lindgren is one of their most loved authors.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Indeed. It's kinda ironic that Lindgren didn't allow Miyazaki, Takahata and Otsuka to make Pipi Longstockings, but now his son has made an anime of Ronja.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
It is indeed ironic, but also quite understandable.

At 1971 Miyazaki was no-name animator and Takahata just had quit Toei after he was demoted due to his debut movie bombing badly at box office. Both were working now in a company called cleverly "A Production" with only assistant role so far in anime projects, no own references.

So when these eager but credit-less tiny men from other side of the world who spoke no known language appeared at Lindgren lawn she may be excused of not being totally convinced about going forward with them.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
WHATTT?!?! LOL
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Did it have legal streaming anywhere during its airing? I watched it, but I recall it was a fansub version.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Northlander wrote:
Weirdly enough, Sweden might very well license this one...

It's been on the air since end of January in Sweden. I don't think it is anything weird, Astrid Lindgren is one of their most loved authors.

Well, maybe I coulda chosen a better word than "weirdly", but I do appreciate the irony anyway in that a show that might be... uninteresting.... to the US viewers is picked up by my neighbors. (Even when you take Panda Go Panda's interesting past into consideration.)

I also find it appropriate, since the first Ghibli movie I ever watched was My Neighbor Totoro with a Swedish dub. (And a pretty good one at that, as far as I remember.)

Then again, I was never really a huge fan of Pippi Langstømpe, but I liked the Ronja Røverdatter movie quite much.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
I don't know about this weight of this type of award, but i think it's well deserved that Ronja gets attention and receives something.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Did it have legal streaming anywhere during its airing? I watched it, but I recall it was a fansub version.

no,probably due to Ghibli being kinda hard to negotiate when it comes to streaming since they still have an old mindset...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
I don't know about this weight of this type of award, but i think it's well deserved that Ronja gets attention and receives something.

Yeah, it's cool. Now if it could just get a dual audio blu-ray release in the US, I'd definitely pick it up.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations for RtRD winning the Emmy! Smile It was quite remarkable in an awe-inspiring light.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1