• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Short Story Contest Bans 'Traveling to an Alternate World' Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Pffft. Nothing will stop these authors from making "a harem in magical school" instead.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Pffft. Nothing will stop these authors from making "a harem in magical school" instead.

That would eliminate 75% of the stories and alienate most of the LN's buyers (mostly the teenagers and young adult males) because that is what most of them look for in a LN.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely nonsensical. The setting does not determine the story in any capacity. Not to mention, by doing this, you are effectively removing the possibility of a story that turns the genre on its head or does something completely different and unique with it.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
So fanservice and harem are still allowed? Nice. Very Happy
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I admit I laughed when I read the title of this article
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
While i'm fan of these reincarnated to another and teleported to another world stories, i do agree there are too many stories of this genre as they all have the same cliche of a young male or female who was a loser in life and is reincarnated/teleported to another world, has a "Cheat" ability that gives them huge advantages and acquires a harem.

The way i see the ban, it's a good challenge to convince authors to get creative and not rely on an overused premise.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:

This is what should've been banned, 80% of bad LN adaptations follow this type of plot.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
You know the situation is bad when companies have to enforce such a prohibition. Can't say I blame them.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I will admit: even if I love some of these series in particular (mostly Log Horizon), I'm happy to see companies finally try to stop this trend, because it's gotten annoying.

Likewise. I love the Log Horizon novels and I enjoyed the Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash anime, but enough is enough.
hack5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:

This!They should just banned harem{the cockroaches of anime}
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
One of the things about first-time authors is that the first thing they write will be a clone of their favorite trend existing story-phenomenon of the moment. (With or without the obvious Mary Sues.)

In our YA group, you could tell the ages just by girls who brought their latest crossbow-competition and secret-fallen-angel stories.
(And just try selling a vampire romance to an editor in the late 00's without seeing them beat their heads against large walls or furniture.)

In Japan, and the obvious anime-piloting Light Novels, the equivalent would be rewriting Log Horizon, No Game No Life and SAO.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty hilarious.

I agree that it means some great potential stories will be getting excluded, but on the other hand I'd feel bad for the judges having to read hundreds of submissions where some self insert goes to another world and gets a harem. Like, how many people do you think would enter with that sort of story because they think they can be the next Sword Art Online.

And agreed on the ban harem magic school stories. Please end this plague.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I do not like the suppression of freedom of choice and opportunity based on non-nuanced looks at works of a certain genre. But there's a catch here that we have to realize.

There are going to be tons and tons of submissions. And tons and tons of badly-written submissions. And someone is going to have to read them. As such, there are two big problems with what the trend of online-game-like stories would do:

1) Bore them with a ton of crap about the same exact thing.

...and/or 2) Cause them to read barely a few lines before no longer caring and tossing the story aside, regardless of the actual quality of the content, simply because they're sick of reading the same thing.

I the first case, it's torturous for the judges. Even when ignoring all the series that have been adapted into anime and manga and games, there are a CRAP TON of online-gaming light novel series in Japan right now. Flipping through the light novel section at the bookstore next to the station, I kept finding myself thinking, "Again...?" In the second case, it's a complete waste of their time, and your time, for you to write and submit something that will trigger the alarms in their head to discard your story without investing any actual time in it, even if what you write ends up good. It's unrealistic to think that they'll literally be able to read hundreds and hundreds of short stories in full, even if they have multiple judges, especially when the judges themselves have other work that also needs to get done for their job.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Now high school and fanservice need to be banned. Just for a little while.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ha! Can't say I'm surprised, though. SnN's already changed the site so that the default ranking page excludes these stories, body-travel and reincarnation both. So they obviously know it's gotten out of hand and basically been driven into the ground. Apparently they're not actually the majority of the site -- 異世界 gives about 56,000 search results, out of just over 400,000 stories -- but they dominate the rankings. When I checked the yearly rankings a month ago, 100 of the top 140 fit into those "person from our world lands in a fantasy world". (Specifically fantasy. Not counting sci-fi or "alternate version of our world" like Kenkyo Kenjitsu.)

harminia wrote:
And agreed on the ban harem magic school stories. Please end this plague.

Oh, that's the old plague. Anime-wise, this plague is just getting going. About one in five anime are based on light novels (and lately we've been getting about one webnovel per season), but they tended to be series that started two years ago or more, counting from dead-tree publication.

Re:Zero's original story started in April 2012. KonoSuba was removed from the site this year, but the Wayback Machine says it started December 2012, and whatever webnovel anime starts in fall will probably be something else from around that time period. I'm thinking Shield Hero, Death March, something like that. Maybe Riot Grasper? Probably not Mushoku Tensei; it takes too long to get moving.

The one big magic-high-school-harem webnovel series I know of is Mahouka, and that started way back in '08. And I don't know about any new straight-to-dead-tree series in the genre -- not that it says much, since I mostly just find out about them when they get anime, but I still suspect the trend's on its way out. It's not what you post to SnN if you want a hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4