• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Western Foods Are Popular In Japan?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I think they have a Pizza Hut, too. Man, I would love to try Japanese pizza....

They're really creative with their toppings, but adds less cheese.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I think they have a Pizza Hut, too. Man, I would love to try Japanese pizza....

Pizza Hut supports the rebellion!

Quote:
"Hamburger Steak" (basically Salisbury Steak cut with panko bread crumbs),

I've always wondered about this, as when it's mention in anime they call it "hamburger" in English yet the subs would usually use "Salisbury steak." Was thinking maybe they thought western audiences were too dumb and would get confused by a hamburger with no bun.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
You know what they call a "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" in Japan?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone feel the slightest bit hungry after reading this???

I know, I would too...>.>

And although speaking of the McDonalds answer and effect, and in many anime I see that portray the restaurant, they have to change it to WcDonalds or something similar while stretching the name differently. I know, I know, copyright stuff (Unless they get the license to show it of course, The Boy and The Beast was one such example of many brand names actually being named, lol. And who can't forget Pizza Hut being sponsored by Code Geass of all series, lol. [Although, the overseas release wasn't lucky to have the ads on them, lol.])

Vaisaga wrote:
Pizza Hut supports the rebellion!

And well, before I replied, somebody got it and knows! Anime hyper

Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
You know what they call a "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" in Japan?

In Gorilla Monsoon voice

Will you stop? Wink

Memes aside I've seen so crazy things the Japanese have where food and drink are concerned and I've always been envious of the delicious stuff they have.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I've always wondered about this, as when it's mention in anime they call it "hamburger" in English yet the subs would usually use "Salisbury steak." Was thinking maybe they thought western audiences were too dumb and would get confused by a hamburger with no bun.

Actually they call it 'hamburg' in 'english' (actually german). A 'hamburger' does come with a bun. The two in Japanese are ハンバーグ and ハンバーガー respectively. Also it technically isn't the same as a salisbury steak according to wikipedia. The actual translation should be hamburg steak so yeah part of it does seem to be the thought audiences would be too dumb to know what it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_steak

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
We're just as good ( or bad ) about adapting Japanese foods to our use here. We don't have a cookout now that there isn't teriyaki chicken or beef skewers alongside the hot dogs, hamburgers or steaks. We even make our own teriyaki sauce. Not to mention having worn out a rice cooker and getting a new one that using it is like programming a VCR used to be.

Mark Gosdin
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Apparently even Japanese curry has some western influence in it at least in regards to how it was introduced, apparently it was introduced during the Meji Period by British people who imported curry from India which was under control of the British Raj at the time. Now Japanese curry is very different from Indian curry because it developed as it's own dish after that. However I have read that Indian curry houses are popular enough in big cities in Japan now.

Incidentally I do find it amusing that the image used whilst from an anime is of a Romanian (obstinately anyway) eating a burger in Boston in what is an adaptation of a Marvel comics title. I love the variety of life.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad I discovered this article in the middle of my lunch break Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the Teriyaki McBurger was never brought over to the states, considering the popularity of ramen and sushi as curiosity items.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Local chains MOS Burger, Loteria, First Kitchen, Beckers and Freshness Burger also compete in the market, alongside American exports like Burger King, Wendy's, and recently Shake Shack and Carls Jr.

I understand that First Kitchen's long-standing signature dish is a bacon-and-egg hambuger of some description.

GracieLizzy wrote:
However I have read that Indian curry houses are popular enough in big cities in Japan now.

This is certainly progress, but the cultural osmosis will not be complete until drunken revellers are seen wolfing down karahis on streets of Roppongi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

This is certainly progress, but the cultural osmosis will not be complete until drunken revellers are seen wolfing down karahis on streets of Roppongi.

Whilst singing "Vindaloo" by Fat Les?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Another fun fact is that Japan also has more 3-Star restaurants than any other country in the world. Seriously, it beats out France.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
McDonald's is actually quite well known for heavily adapting menus to local markets, although the Big Mac is sold in the same format everywhere but India (for obvious reasons).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
A friend and I spent a week in Japan last month, and we saw McDonald's and Denny's just about everywhere. Burger Kings were less common, but there was one practically right across from one of our hotels, so we tried it out. They definitely had some offerings that you won't see in the States, like a BBQ sandwich which used pork patties rather than beef patties. In addition to what Justin mentioned, the McDonald's we visited also had pineapple shakes, which I've never seen anywhere in the States. And yes, the drink sizes in particular are MUCH smaller; their small drink is what Americans would commonly call a kiddie size. Oh, and both of those places offered "sets" instead of "combo meals," which are equivalent terms. We did see places which offered pizza but didn't try any, as the pizzas they advertised all looked like what we would call gourmet pizzas here in the States.

Ah, yes, the crepe places. Those were very common to see; just about anywhere that had a large number of food vendors had at least a couple of those places. (In the main pop culture strip in Harajuku in Tokyo, there was at least one every block.) You could get some pretty bizarre food combos in them, too.

There were also some really weird places. We found a hot dog bar across the street from our hotel in Akihabara which offered something like 20 different kinds of hot dogs. (BTW, you can also find vending machines in Japan that sell hot dogs and French fries, amongst other hot options.) I got something they called a garlic hot dog, which turned out to be a hot dog on a garlic bread bun. In a mall in Kyoto we ate dinner at a restaurant which purported to be Texas-themed, though the music they played was all early '80s adult contemporary fare. That was the place which proudly advertised the 980 g hamburger but did, as a neat feature, have salt shakers which looked like miniature old-school Coca Cola bottles. I did get the burger which came with a fried egg on it, something that we saw on the menu in a few other places, too. We also tried a lot of more conventional Japanese food, and I still can't get over always seeing curry available on breakfast buffets. Those buffets also had strange notions about how to properly cook bacon compared to American standards.

While I found Japanese cuisine to be hit-or-miss (I had to spit out konnyaku no iridashi, for instance), it was definitely an interesting experience. One of my favorites was probably the peach sake cocktail at the sake museum in Kyoto, and I do not normally drink alcohol at all, so that's saying something. Being able to get things like peach juice out of vending machines was also great.

Also, I really liked how most restaurants had either pictures or models of what their meals looked like on their store fronts. I wish more American places did that.

Oh, and I can attest from personal experience that the images you see in anime of those ridiculously elaborate parfaits aren't actually exaggerated. The one on the left below is one that I actually had at a maid cafe, while the one on the right is the one my friend got. And yes, we got the melon soda, too (which doesn't actually taste as melon-y as the name suggests).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8