• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Video Introduces Japan's Mini Famicom, 30 Classic Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
You can only save in up to four games at a time? So that means if you want to play through all of these games, you'll have to eventually lose your high scores and, in games like the Zelda titles, your collection progress?

It's still a step up from the arcade era experience, but surely they could provide game saves for all of them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Needs some Goonies. [Both the arcade game and the NES sequel.] Cool
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
That's cheap of them. 1GB is enough to hold the entire NES library, let alone save states,...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You can only save in up to four games at a time? So that means if you want to play through all of these games, you'll have to eventually lose your high scores and, in games like the Zelda titles, your collection progress?

It's still a step up from the arcade era experience, but surely they could provide game saves for all of them.

My understanding is you get 4 save states for each game, as opposed to four for all of them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You can only save in up to four games at a time?

That is not the greatest shortcoming. Something would suggest that the appeal of those thirty games will diminish quite rapidly, especially when played by those who never grew up having to savour limited content. As this is a first-party device though, adding ROM-playing capabilities was presumably not an option to which Nintendo could turn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
As a junior high school kid back in the late eighties, I'd have killed someone back then if I knew there'd be a Nintendo console with thirty classic games for less than 60$, – to get the cash – so instead of being in the camp of the chronic nay-sayers and complainers, I'll say this Mini Famicon is a great idea and a nice present for general audiences who aren't video games savy and don't know what emulators are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
That's cheap of them. 1GB is enough to hold the entire NES library, let alone save states,...

A portion of the NES/Famicom library consists of licensed games so no Ducktales, TMNT, Battletoads, or Batman.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, outside of Japan we still don't get retro final fantasy 3....
Dark_Saiyajin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Are the controllers for this also the ones that plug in to wii remotes?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
NES mini exposed, it's got FFIII for god's sake and it's better than the DS version, that version is too hard for it's own good at the end while the Famicom version is just right save for Garuda which is MUCH harder than in the DS version..
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Dark_Saiyajin wrote:
Are the controllers for this also the ones that plug in to wii remotes?

Nope. The original Famicom had hard-wired controllers, so the mini Famicom does too.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
My understanding is you get 4 save states for each game, as opposed to four for all of them.

If that's true, then the case for this device becomes a lot more compelling to me.

Felicity dash wrote:
Damn, outside of Japan we still don't get retro final fantasy 3....

I'd say the blame for that one goes to Squaresoft, considering that game never got an official international release for the NES. The Anglosphere had to wait until the remake on the Nintendo DS. Since an official English translation for the original NES version never existed, it'd mean the removal of Final Fantasy III overseas for the NES Mini.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Well it's great to see Nintendo go back to their roots in gaming since they used to be the best. However they could have put a little more effort into this like more memory and downloadable classic games because there are a lot of classic games that aren't included. Sad
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Since the power cord is different from a US one, I kinda want one of these just for decoration. Planning to get the US one to actually play (mostly for the controller).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1