• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Music Producer Porter Robinson Debuts 'Shelter' Anime Music Video by A-1 Pictures

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRSxIgnition

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Watch out, it's not an Anime according to Reddit.

https://twitter.com/porterrobinson/status/788476396171427840
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
BRSxIgnition wrote:
Watch out, it's not an Anime according to Reddit.

https://twitter.com/porterrobinson/status/788476396171427840

This would've been so cool if it was an anime.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This was freaking amazing and breathtaking to watch and listen to. Megumi Kouno and Akai freaking killed it like they always do together. Great key animation and directing aside, the idea is extremely interesting, I would've liked a 10 minute short to develop a little better, but nonetheless, very cool idea.

The backgrouds, though...
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Not much else to say except it was very nice!
Dylan21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The backgrounds, though...

Same Art Director as GITS: SAC and Guilty Crown, so that explains why the art in this is so excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, this was an amazing short anime music video. Loved the story and the creativity, it hit me much harder than I was expecting. The art was breathtaking and the song was excellent. Was not expecting it to be so good.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but who cares what Reddit thinks.

I had no foreknowledge of this, so it was a pleasant surprise, and for a pop video by someone i've never heard of was really good.
Would definitely be up for at least an OVA of this to tell the story and provide closure
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the Reddit logic makes perfect sense. They wouldn't allow an outsourced episode of spongebob. Great example.

As for the video itself...it was great. The music was extremely generic, repetitive, and headache inducing tho. The story was standard feels-bait and has been (mostly) done before. Maybe twitter and the youtube comments overhyped it for me, but it wasn't really anything special beyond the fact that they worked with someone outside Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
On the CR article, "Porter Robinson, A-1 Pictures and Crunchyroll Reveal Landmark Anime Music Video With SHELTER", it had a link to the short (for North American CR subscribers). The link to that short read "SHELTER - Porter Robinson presents Shelter the Animation".

"Anime" in Japanese, means "animation" but as a general term (same thing goes for manga and "comics"). t's us Westerners who corrupted to mean "Japanese animation". So, I do consider "anime".
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This is Japanese animation based on concepts created by a non-Japanese person. It would be equally silly to say Howl's Moving Castle is not anime because it's based on a British novel.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
At the beginning I was like 'eh, it's pretty but there's not much to it', but by the end I was teary-eyed and stuffy-nosed lol. I gotta say that I didn't think the video matched the music too well though.

And those glowing cubes reminded me of Tower of God haha
lucio542

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Really amazing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
This is Japanese animation based on concepts created by a non-Japanese person. It would be equally silly to say Howl's Moving Castle is not anime because it's based on a British novel.

^THIS. EXACTLY. Did people even look at the credits?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Makes one nostalgic for Interstalla 5555, though I suppose a lonely teenager scribbling on a tablet is a good analogy for both Porter Robinson's & A-1's production process.
NormanS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
To be honest my only interaction with Porter Robinson's music is Mikkas' remix of one of his tracks. So i was kinda expecting that kind of music. Anyways, technically it looks great, not sure about the music (it was not my thing), and the story was more or less spoiled by the title and premise as if you connect the lines you would get a "brain in the jar" scenario like Matrix, or something along the lines.
vampireknightgal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is the first song that I've heard from Robinson, but I am familiar with Madeons Work, mainly through the songs Technicolor and Finale. Still the video is definitely breathtaking in it's own way
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3