• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Will Not Be Compatible With Wii U Discs, 3DS Cards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
if the battery is anything like the Wii u pro controller ,I think many will be very satisfied with the battery power.
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This hasn't come out and I'm already feeling ripped off. The real kick in the pants will be when they announce all the digital games I've purchased from their store are not playable on the new system, either.

This news has totally burst my bubble. I think I will wait to buy this console and go for the PS4.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
if the battery is anything like the Wii u pro controller ,I think many will be very satisfied with the battery power.

My Wii U pad and 3DS (Original) battery last about 3 hrs. Rumor has it that at the moment The Switch Tablet undocked last about as long. I suppose Nintendo is still trying to fix that with a better battery or a battery pack of some kind. It could also just be a developer demo thing.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
This hasn't come out and I'm already feeling ripped off. The real kick in the pants will be when they announce all the digital games I've purchased from their store are not playable on the new system, either.

This news has totally burst my bubble. I think I will wait to buy this console and go for the PS4.

But.. you can't use PS3 game on a PS4 either... if playing old games it's so important then I highly recommend getting a PC.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
(Bison voice) YES, i never got a wii u but there where plenty of games i wanted to play now i can get them all Smile
Cetais

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:

... The article talk about Wii U discs and 3DS Cards, nothing is said about digital download.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Peebs wrote:

But.. you can't use PS3 game on a PS4 either... if playing old games it's so important then I highly recommend getting a PC.

I think he's talking about Wii and Wii U and how they had different stores so you have to redownload and rebuy the games you bought for the Wii on the Wii U.

Although given that the Wii U and 3DS work off the same eShop I don't think that will be an issue this time.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
That sucks, would have liked to be able to play my Wii U games and probably 3DS games.

I guess the Switch is a completely different console in that regard. :/
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and here I was thinking Nintendo wanted me to buy this. I guess they don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Could it be that the instruction set of the new processor prevents native execution of the previous systems' games? Even so though, some form of virtualisation could at least have been attempted for DS titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Could it be that the instruction set of the new processor prevents native execution of the previous systems' games? Even so though, some form of virtualisation could at least have been attempted for DS titles.
I mean, Wii U is kind of impossible due to the lack of a disc drive.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
All I want is for the Eshop stuff I got to be compatible, VC and otherwise.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
That's not really a deal-breaker for me. Sounds pretty par for the course when it comes to new consoles.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:

You could simply keep your old system if you desperately want to keep playing your digital games.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

That's fine if you want to play games from the 8, 16, & 32 bit era of consoles gets to be problematic for anything afterwards.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't own a Wii U, and I don't feel I would lose anything because my 3ds games can't be played on my next gen Nintendo console.

The only thing that would be breaking would be if a significant jump in game pricing or a ridiculously high hardware cost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4