• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Dragon Ball Super's Toyotarou

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
"In the upcoming Trunks storyline, there's a part where Trunks' tutor explains a certain important part of the story…and I can't go into more detail. So keep an eye out for that!"

...?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's amusing that Toriyama is more concerned with correcting/guiding Toyotarou on the gags. I knew he would, Toriyama is a gag manga author before anything, but it still brings a smile to my face that he's putting so much effort in ensuring humor stays in the franchise, despite it being a mostly action/sci-fi joint by now. Toyotarou seems to understand and respect what Toriyama is about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Enturax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's amusing that Toriyama is more concerned with correcting/guiding Toyotarou on the gags. I knew he would, Toriyama is a gag manga author before anything, but it still brings a smile to my face that he's putting so much effort in ensuring humor stays in the franchise, despite it being a mostly action/sci-fi joint by now. Toyotarou seems to understand and respect what Toriyama is about.

Yeah, but humor in the Anime version of Super feels forced as hell. Not always, but since the Black Arc. started, mostly. Thanks to the Pilaf's gang and Beerus/Whiss constantly eating something, ofc.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Awesome interview. Always great to learn about the behind the scenes stuff.

Quote:
It sounds like you have a pretty close working relationship with Akira Toriyama. He gives you the outline and you make changes. What is the most interesting thing about working with him?

Every month, I'll create a storyboard for him to review, and then he'll give me input and suggest changes. When I'm working with Toriyama, there are many portions he gives me props for coming up with, but he is very particular about other things and always points them out for me to correct. And when he corrects me, I think “Wow, I guess I don't completely understand the way he looks at things,” so his corrections and feedback are incredibly accurate and helpful. It's a lot of fun to be able to get closer to his way of thinking.

Toyataro: Hey, Toriyama. I brought back Launch as a main character in this arc. She's going to do this and that.

Toriyama: Whoa. Slow down there. You're remembering her too much. You're suppose to forget her. Just throw her in with a cameo appearance in one panel.

Toyotaro: Wow, I guess I don't completely understand the way he looks at things.

Sorry. I had to.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Man, it would be awesome to write some manga for an author you're a fan of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1