• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Darkest Before The Dawn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac's Russian accent though... Laughing

Why has Funimation not hired him for any broadcast dubs yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Your Name yet, so while I can't say whether I really hope it gets a nomination or not, I don't think it has a solid chance for getting a nomination. I wouldn't say it's that wide-open of a year either simply due to Disney/Pixar having three films instead of one or two.

There's usually only one or two spots for foreign films in that category, and I could easily see The Red Turtle taking one of those dark horse spots. I think Sony can simply get more eyes on it than Funimation would be able to.

I think the nominees will be Zootopia, Kubo and the Two Strings, Moana, Finding Dory (even if it was just ok, it's still Pixar), and The Red Turtle.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for another show! It is reassuring to know that Viktor's Russian accent was chosen for the purpose of conveying the limitations in his fluency to English-speaking audiences, as opposed to that of merely reinforcing his national background. Such a character trait merits the risk of a vocal imitation; the performance's imperfections can work to its favour in principle.

Regarding the upshot of the "three episode rule", it is noteworthy that what I deemed to be the most stirring scenes in Your Lie in April and Non Non Biyori, to use two unrelated examples, both occurred in their fourth episodes. This being so, I still have a certain amount of faith that a fourth episode can deliver despite its customary unimportance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Under the radar series, three that I enjoy are Bernard-jou Iwaku mostly because it reminds of what I was like in High School (bookish and awkward) and it's nice to see a series that's passionate about books. Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku mostly because it's cute and funny and Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari wich is getting reviewed but feels kind of lost in the shuffle of other series.

Also nice to hear something good about Magical Girl Raising Project as I had hope for it and for me that hope has not been betrayed by the four episodes it's only gotten stronger as the series goes on. I was not impressed last two episodes of Yuri on Ice and while I still think it's nice to watch from an animation standpoint but feels soulless.

Sound Euphonium has been really disappointing I only moderately liked the first season and season two so far has been really dull but good to see that will be discussed next week.

The Shelter "controversy" feels like it ties into those kind of arguments in Anime fandom that don't ever go away. like the questions about Subs vs.. dubs is Anime a genre or medium? Are Shonen, Seinen, Shojo, and Josei Manga genres or demographics? People have sometimes hard and fast positions on them and they often generate more heat than light.

I've learned a lot of time it isn't even worth arguing over because someone convinced of the rightness of their own position you cant unconvinced them because they will just find some way to reconfirm what they all ready believe.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
A very fun podcast episode. Thanks for taking the time to record it.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just going crazy, but I didn't hear them bring up Flip Flappers at all during the podcast. And yeah, the Shelter "controversy" is extremely stupid and narrow-minded.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Regarding the upshot of the "three episode rule", it is noteworthy that what I deemed to be the most stirring scenes in Your Lie in April and Non Non Biyori, to use two unrelated examples, both occurred in their fourth episodes. This being so, I still have a certain amount of faith that a fourth episode can deliver despite its customary unimportance.

The "three episode rule" is pretty arbitrary. I usually give up on an anime if the first episode, the episode that's supposed to sell me on watching the rest of the show, doesn't grab me, although, for the majority of new anime, I have a "zero episode rule", re: I don't watch them at all because I read the descriptions and/or preview guide reviews and decided they probably wouldn't interest me.

On the subject of anime that get "much better" in episode 4, though, I gotta submit Strawberry Marshmallow where the fourth episode has one of the standout sequences of the entire series: Nobue's short-lived job as a waitress at whatever the bland-name version of Denny's was on that show spoiler[and Miu's attempts to sabotage her employment].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This is was the first time I've heard about production companies supposedly knowing about the "three episode rule" and gearing episodes towards it. Makes sense. It kind of reminds of how, after a certain time, most horror movies had a kill scene right off the top of the movie. There was actually no creative reason for it other than the fact that producers knew that buyers rarely watched more 20 minutes of a movie before walking out (this is at festivals and trade shows) so you needed to grab their attention right off the bat.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The Urusei Yatsura disks from AnimEigo were not that hard to obtain. I bought the first DVD box set when it came out and then forgot the series for a decade or so. I was still able to get all of the disks direct from AnimEigo at sale prices when I decided to. They announced at least six months in advance that the license was expiring, and that was only 5 1/2 years ago.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
While I understand the reasoning behind the three episode rule, I don't agree with it. That is a lot of time for a person to invest into something they HOPE they're going to like. Maybe for younger audience, it's fine, but I got work and bills, man :p And, a story really is supposed to get you from the beginning. Sure, there are certainly a great number of stories that get better later one (maybe even amazing). But if it doesn't get you from the beginning, it sort of failed it's job. I can't imagine every book having a sticker on the cover saying "Read until the end! The end is the best part!"

The Shelter video I thought was neat. Music was bouncy and the animation was interesting. Don't know where people are getting an emotional impact from - unless the emotional impact is thinking "Wow, that's a pretty depressing state to be in" when you see the last shot of Rin. I think people are more excited about what the video means (anime growing as a medium) than the actual story the video tells :p Not bad, though.

Also, finally a podcast where MGRP was mentioned! I have a few podcasts running in the background throughout the week and none have mentioned it at all. I'm guessing most people aren't giving even the first episode a chance.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I was totally unaware that the Eva TV series is unlicensed. Glad I still have my platinum box set, which happens to be the first anime DVDs I ever bought.

I agree that MGRP is actually quite decent. Certainly it looks like a Madoka ripoff, but it pulls off some of the scenes with more grace and subtlety than some shows in that have tried to do dark magical girl. There is a lot of variety in both the designs of the magical girls but also the people behind them. In addition to the office worker, the young adult, and the boy mentioned on the podcast, there is a girl who can't be older than 10 or so. A significant age range in addition to having a boy be one of them. spoiler[Kinda problematic that said little girl sets up the office worker lady to die (she wasn't the greatest person but still), but in ways that will be interesting to see play out.]

At first I didn't get the Cathy reference, but after Zac acted it out I remembered. Do people even read newspaper comics anymore?

Sucks that traffic has gone down on Sound Euphonium 2. Sure not as much is going on right now. It still beat Yuri and everyone else in the rankings for its third episode, and its fourth looks like it will do well in the rankings too. It was only the second best fourth episode though, after Bungou's second season's fourth episode, easily the best in that series so far (hopefully only so far). Both of those shows fourth episodes show that fourth episodes can actually be very good, both production wise and story wise, though of course KyoAni is usually fairly consistent on the production front anyways.

@Treeborn The way I see the three episode rule is not that you give three episodes to every show (though I'll admit I watch most anyhow), but just the ones you are interested at all. I usually don't apply it to all shows as some I know I won't watch even before I watch it and others I know I will watch from the first episode (or even before). And actually nowadays I barely use it. Last time I gave a show three episodes and said no was back in winter to Divine Gate. I was going to put ClassicaLoid on three episodes, but I just lost interest after the second. Most of the time I know before I watch it or after one episode so I don't really get to three unless I'm going to watch it anyways.

And the Shelter thing, if you watched it and came away saying that's not anime, frankly you're just a silly person because it is clearly anime. I could care less about the nationality of the writer. It walked and talked like anime so it's anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

The Shelter video I thought was neat. Music was bouncy and the animation was interesting. Don't know where people are getting an emotional impact from - unless the emotional impact is thinking "Wow, that's a pretty depressing state to be in" when you see the last shot of Rin. I think people are more excited about what the video means (anime growing as a medium) than the actual story the video tells :p Not bad, though.

I think people are getting the emotional impact from the way that it portrays the father daughter relationship. It is an incredibly touching example of the ultimate sacrifice for a precious loved one. It is pretty overt and clear to me, not sure how you missed it, honestly. Different things will effect people in different ways though, of course. For me, sacrifice and familial love are pretty much instant water works. *sniffle*
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
For me, Shelter came completely out of nowhere, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. That whole reddit thing reminds me why I don't bother with reddit. It also puts me in mind of all those 'gatekeeper' idiots who plague every fandom.

Three episode thing doesn't always work, some shows I'll watch the first episode and think "Oh yes! I am totally watching this", and some shows I really struggle to get through the first episode because they're not the kind of thing I like, or because the characters are too annoying, or some other reason that makes me think "Nope. Sod this" and hit stop.

Sometimes I'll go as far as four or five episodes in before making a decision.

It all depends on the show. Not every show can set out its stall on the first episode. You don't need to know everything about the characters and situation by the end of episode one, as finding out about those is a part of the story itself.
(The way there are people out there who positively DEMAND to be told absolutely everything about the character and setting by the end of episode 1 dismays me.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
Shelter is fantastic. To each their own, but for me it did have an impact. Her father gave her a final gift, but it is the saddest, but best gift that a father could give. Make you wonder what you would do for your young son or daughter, in that same situation.

But that final scene is the starkest picture of her future. Quite brutal.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

(The way there are people out there who positively DEMAND to be told absolutely everything about the character and setting by the end of episode 1 dismays me.)

Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous. Good thing no one on this thread here has said that is a requirement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2