• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' is #1 in 13th Week as Gundam the Origin IV Debuts at #9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Keep supportinf "your name"! Well, support the others too while you at it.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Don't pass Mononoke. Please.
Deynard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

So you want it to fail? Mononoke is relict of past, it should be passed.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film is the seventh highest-grossing film of all time in Japan, the fourth highest-grossing Japanese film in Japan, and the fourth highest-grossing anime film in Japan.

An interesting statistic. Despite the fact we are told that anime is almost as insular and secluded in Japan as it is elsewhere, it is nonetheless the case that Japan's biggest commercial successes are the product of its anime industry. Admittedly, this is mainly the doing of a director of whom I am not especially fond, but the point still stands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
Impressive, although if those box office numbers are accurate it suggests that Japan's cinemas are having a quiet month, since it's "only" earned about 1billion yen in November. Not to take away from the films success, but a lack of big foreign films at this time of year & a sickly domestic film industry is helping it keep its place.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:56 am Reply with quote
I reckon next week, we have a new #2 Japan's all-time highest grossing film.

I still can't believe this movie broke records. I mean, back week #1, I was saying its expectation is too high but heck, so far it tripled it's project 6 billion yen profit.

Talk about amazing!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
KH91 wrote:

So you want it to fail? Mononoke is relict of past, it should be passed.

Psh, "relic of the past?" Don't make me laugh. Mononoke is a timeless masterpiece. That being said, I don't really care if Your Name passes its grosses either. Titanic surpassed it as well and that movie is garbage, imo. Also, the film is currently the seventh highest grossing film in Japan and the fourth highest grossing Japanese film. Of all time. That's hardly what I'd call a failure.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The film is the seventh highest-grossing film of all time in Japan, the fourth highest-grossing Japanese film in Japan, and the fourth highest-grossing anime film in Japan.

An interesting statistic. Despite the fact we are told that anime is almost as insular and secluded in Japan as it is elsewhere, it is nonetheless the case that Japan's biggest commercial successes are the product of its anime industry. Admittedly, this is mainly the doing of a director of whom I am not especially fond, but the point still stands.

Disregarding how irrelevant your feelings on the director are to your actual comment, I think a lot of those claims are pretty exaggerated and baseless for the most part. Anime is certainly substantially more popular and "mainstream" in Japan compared to elsewhere in the world, regardless of how ardently self-proclaimed cultural experts claim otherwise.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Anime is certainly substantially more popular and "mainstream" in Japan compared to elsewhere in the world, regardless of how ardently self-proclaimed cultural experts claim otherwise.

Well... it depends on what you mean by "anime." Ghibli movies do pretty well, because they're the equivalent of Disney/Pixar--(mostly) family-friendly mainstream films. But they're not overwhelmingly popular; that list linked in the article does put Spirited Away at #1, but the next 10 entries are Titanic, Frozen, first Harry Potter movie, Howl's Moving Castle, Mononoke, Your Name, a live-action police comedy, second Harry Potter movie, Avatar (the giant blue aliens one), and Ponyo. Then there's several American live-action movies, and The Wind Rises at #18. After that the anime are few and far between. Next one is Borrower Arrietty ("Borrower of the Borrower..." silly google), of all things, at #41, below several Disney/Pixar movies.

Your Name is a major anomaly, since it appears to be the only non-Ghibli anime movie that's even remotely mainstream in Japan. It's even crossed over into the "more popular than any Japanese live-action movie" club. But that gives you some idea of how invisible most anime is... you may have seen ANN's animation TV rankings, which are downright comical in their consistency. Everyone watches Sazae-san and Maruko-chan--shows most non-Japanese will never encounter--religiously, and the standard assortment of kid shows takes up all the remaining slots. What we think of as "anime" is way off the radar of most people in its home country.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think what most people think of when they're referring to anime's popularity in Japan is the "late-night" variety. i.e. most of the stuff us people watch and comment about on forums and all that jazz.

I hope Your Name is more than just an anomaly, and that it actually paves the way for more successes with Japanese animation in its home country. I believe the demographics that go to see movies in theaters in Japan is gradually changing, so we shall see.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting to see it beat the "Spirited Away" box-office figures.If it does, the 2 highest-grossing anime films in Japan would both be Toho titles. I say this because, though the Godzilla studio wasn't the animation producer, I still consider it a Toho film as Toho distributed the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1