• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Surpasses 1st Harry Potter Film as Japan's #4 Film of All Time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rednimue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I know it'll be almost impossible, but please ... beat the S*** out of Frozen Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
I know it'll be almost impossible, but please ... beat the S*** out of Frozen Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Why not just imagine that it had already done so. Laughing
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
After my most favorite Ghibli movie, Howl, is down, I'm now all out rooting for this movie to be on top. Watched it few days ago when its finally enter local cinema and still hyping it now, planning to watch it again.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Neohybrid_kai wrote:
After my most favorite Ghibli movie, Howl, is down, I'm now all out rooting for this movie to be on top. Watched it few days ago when its finally enter local cinema and still hyping it now, planning to watch it again.

I have already watched this movie 3 times in a cinema (no online streaming).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hm. Not sure how accurate this calculator is, but I'm getting Harry Potter at over ¥20,800,000,000 when adjusting for inflation. Can't find ticket sales for it. But this puts it still slightly ahead. Either this inflation calculator is wrong, or they're not adjusting for inflation. I feel like they should ALWAYS adjust for inflation before making claims like this. Unfair otherwise.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I expected the Mega Shinkai Domination to surpass HP. I just don't see it surpassing SA.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hm. Not sure how accurate this calculator is, but I'm getting Harry Potter at over ¥20,800,000,000 when adjusting for inflation. Can't find ticket sales for it. But this puts it still slightly ahead. Either this inflation calculator is wrong, or they're not adjusting for inflation. I feel like they should ALWAYS adjust for inflation before making claims like this. Unfair otherwise.

I'm guessing you're American and used to constant inflation, but that's not the same for the Yen. If you look here: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/japan/inflation-cpi (go the chart and click on "10 Y" or MAX) you'll see that the Yen has stayed about the same and has bounced up and down over the past 10+ years. You're first number is probably accurate.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it got snubbed by the Golden Globes. Chances still seem high for an Oscar nom.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Looks like it got snubbed by the Golden Globes. Chances still seem high for an Oscar nom.

I wouldn't quite call it a snub when “Kubo and the Two Strings", "Moana”, “My Life as a Zucchini”, “Sing”, and “Zootopia” were the films nominated. Sing hasn't came out yet so I can't quite say concerning that but the other films are quite worth the nomination. Finding Dory did not get a nom, but I assume putting 3 Disney films in there would have been overkill.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
If it does get nominated for the Oscars, it'll be really painful if they play a clip of it from the cringey AF English dub. Compared to the competition, those performances sound so amateurish and forced. They should have given a film of this caliber the Ghibli treatment and hired more realistic actors (they wouldn't need to be Hollywood stars or anything), the "TV anime dub" style doesn't fit Shinkai's style nor this film in particular, it just cheapens the experience. I think Funimation really dropped the ball in that crucial area. Maybe I'm just a salty perfectionist, but I feel like they could have done a lot better.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I saw off with the dub trailer was Stephanie Sheh sounding less whiny. Since I haven't seen the film, I'm reserving judgment but I didn't see anything cringe-worthy in it either.

But then again, I find Ghibli dubs to generally be cringeworthy myself.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't claim to have seen the movie, however, I think the backlash against the dub is a bit too harsh. Even as someone who loves the Ghibli dubs and occasionally stumbled upon dubs that rubbed me the wrong way, I didn't find anything painful or amateurish about the dub trailer I saw. Both Stephanie Sheh and Michael Sinterniklaas are veterans, and they know what they're doing. NYAV Post has also produced some great dubs over the years: A Letter To Momo is extremely good, and I found Welcome to the Space Show, Jungle Emperor Leo, Patema Inverted, as well as the lesser known Phoenix to be good to solid dubs. Given that, I think they deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt. One cannot judge a dub in its entirety based on a trailer alone, and until I see the film, I stand by what I said: to my trained ears, your name. sounds fine to me; both Sinterniklaas and Sheh sound solid in their roles. I think they can pull it off. Sure, it would be nice to have a Ghibli-style dub, but as excellent as those dubs are, it doesn't mean that other studios can't turn in solid efforts either. Funimation has been doing great, but I've always loved NYAV Post's work.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Sinterniklaas sounds fine (he always does), it's Sheh that sounds incredibly forced to me. She has that "middle-aged lady on crack trying to sound like a teenage girl" annunciation and out-of-breath emoting that I can't stand in anime dubs. It reminds me of the terrible performance of Setsuko in the original Grave of the Fireflies dub. It turned one of the most emotional movies ever made into a comedy. I'll concede that I should hold off full judgement until I've seen the entire dub, but generally a few minutes of dialogue is more than enough for me to form a solid opinion on whether or not I'll like a performance. She sounds like she's playing two different characters in the trailer and it sounds really inconsistent, plus I think her pitch is only really appropriate when playing generic loli characters, and even those I find annoying. Her being a veteran doesn't really affect my opinion on her voice acting. Again, I don't wanna be too harsh, we'll see how my impressions do or don't change after I see it in full.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Sinterniklaas sounds fine (he always does), it's Sheh that sounds incredibly forced to me. She has that "middle-aged lady on crack trying to sound like a teenage girl" annunciation and out-of-breath emoting that I can't stand in anime dubs. It reminds me of the terrible performance of Setsuko in the original Grave of the Fireflies dub. It turned one of the most emotional movies ever made into a comedy. I'll concede that I should hold off full judgement until I've seen the entire dub, but generally a few minutes of dialogue is more than enough for me to form a solid opinion on whether or not I'll like a performance. She sounds like she's playing two different characters in the trailer and it sounds really inconsistent, plus I think her pitch is only really appropriate when playing generic loli characters, and even those I find annoying. Her being a veteran doesn't really affect my opinion on her voice acting. Again, I don't wanna be too harsh, we'll see how my impressions do or don't change after I see it in full.

I think you SHOULD give the dub a listen before passing judgment. I've heard Stephanie do other roles, notably Momo's mom in A LETTER TO MOMO, and she sounded great there. I do admit that there were times in WELCOME TO THE SPACE SHOW where I found her girly voice a little odd, but it was still fine.

Still, to compare her performance in YOUR NAME to Corrine Orr in CPM's GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES.... I think that's a bit much. Corrine was much, much older (and grossly miscast) when she did that role, and it was basically a rushed job. NYAV Post's timetables for their dubs can vary, but I've always found them to do consistently good work. Again, you should check out the dubs I listed they've done. Those dubs are good.

I am all too aware of what bad dubbing can sound like. I found the '80s dubs of AKIRA and LAPUTA to be absolutely detestable and easily prefer their Pioneer and Disney counterparts. Then there's the hilariously badly synched and acted Pioneer dubs of SWAN LAKE and ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP. M.D. GEIST, SHADOWSTAR NARUTARU, LOVE HINA, BUBBLEGUM CRISIS OVA, the JAL dub of PORCO ROSSO, DEMON CITY SHINJUKU, WICKED CITY (the Manga UK dub, not Streamline) -- all those were quite bad and grating.

I don't know where YOUR NAME falls in the spectrum just yet, but at least to my ears it sounds nowhere nearly as dire as those above. As I mentioned, there are worse dubs around. I only hope we don't have to wait too long for this movie.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sorry but so far, I had noticed that you posted similar concern about inflation on a lot of Kimi no Na Wa thread whenever the movie actually managed to climb the stair toward being a long lasting legend and people shortly would respond with the fact that inflation doesn't to apply to Japan with links given as well to prove so. Maybe you ought to check replies to your comment more often.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2