• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IDW Publishing to Release Yo-Kai Watch Comic Book Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
You think they are planning to sell this in the toy isle eventually? I was at Target the other day and came across a Voltron: Legendary Defenders GN in the Voltron section of the toy area.

Side note: I bought the Voltron comic and it was okay, it had a little bit of the charm of the Netflix series did not as much as I would have liked, Good buy if you want to support the series.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Great Horny Toads! It must've became popular than Pokemon!
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Cool! Now I have a bigger incentive to visit my local comic book shop, Comic Logic, every month! Hopefully, this Yo-Kai Watch comic book series will be much better than the Noriyuki Konishi manga.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Great Horny Toads! It must've became popular than Pokemon!

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Pokémon never got a western comic adaptation.

Interested to see how this turns out. I only do comics in digital format these days and Viz seem to only put out the Yo-Kai Watch manga in print, so I haven't read it. But I'll probably check this out assuming it's on Comixology.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh my swirls, I did not see this coming.

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Agreed, Pokémon might be more popular but Nintendo is too protective of their property and I think it boils down to that.

The Attack on Titan anthology was a really interesting read so that makes me excited for this. IDW has a great track record with comics based on existing properties, I'd say this is in safe hands.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

Interested to see how this turns out. I only do comics in digital format these days and Viz seem to only put out the Yo-Kai Watch manga in print, so I haven't read it. But I'll probably check this out assuming it's on Comixology.

Huh, I was going to ask if a Yo-kai Watch manga exists, but apparently, it does, and Viz is handling it. So it IS possible for Viz to handle the manga and another company to make American comics. IDW wasn't around when Pokémon was new though--maybe if they were around then, they would've made Pokémon western comics.

ParaChomp wrote:
Agreed, Pokémon might be more popular but Nintendo is too protective of their property and I think it boils down to that.

The Attack on Titan anthology was a really interesting read so that makes me excited for this. IDW has a great track record with comics based on existing properties, I'd say this is in safe hands.

The Pokémon Company is even more protective than Nintendo, although I don't think it used to be that way. But you have a point: Whereas Nintendo is very protective, Level-5 seems willing to hand out licenses to Yo-kai Watch to anyone who asks, as they really, really want the franchise to be more popular outside of Japam.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Is Yokai Watch already going through genwun syndrome in America?

The Yokai look fine, but the humans... what have they done to you Fumi-chan? Shocked
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means that Yokai Watch is doing pretty well in the US, or if they're just trying more things to see what sticks. I hope it's the former, it's a pretty fun little series.
macloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Waitaminute - if IDW comics is publishing this [and with their current schtick of combining everything Hasbro owned into one shared universe] you know what that means....

Transformers: Unicron Vs Robonyan

FIGHT! Laughing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The Pokémon Company is even more protective than Nintendo, although I don't think it used to be that way. But you have a point: Whereas Nintendo is very protective, Level-5 seems willing to hand out licenses to Yo-kai Watch to anyone who asks, as they really, really want the franchise to be more popular outside of Japam.
Can't deny that. Yo-Kai Watch's reception has ranged from good to bad over here compared to Japan where it's mostly positive and benefits from its culture.

macloud wrote:
Waitaminute - if IDW comics is publishing this [and with their current schtick of combining everything Hasbro owned into one shared universe] you know what that means....

Transformers: Unicron Vs Robonyan

FIGHT! Laughing
You're right, the toys are by Hasbro in America. Okay then, we'll get the Holograms to perform the battle music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1