• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Little Witch Academia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yo Netflix! Hurry up already! You have no idea how long we've been waiting!
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

You'll have to wait until the series is finished, or perhaps the first cour. The same held true for 2016's Kuromukuro. Amazon is treating its noitaminA exclusives the same way. Neither service has a clue about how many fans prefer to watch on a weekly basis. It's not really clear to me why other than simple ignorance. Perhaps it's a restriction imposed by the Japanese licensors, but why just these services and not Crunchyroll or Funimation?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Amazon is treating its noitaminA exclusives the same way. Neither service has a clue about how many fans prefer to watch on a weekly basis.

With the introduction of their Anime Strike channel Amazon is simulcasting their shows. And remember that Kabaneri was also simulcasted week to week.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I generally make it a rule to watch my anime through legal streaming, but I had to make an exception for this one. I can only feel so bad when I'm already giving Netflix my money every month. And it's not like i won't rewatch it when they do add it anyway, because it's sooo good. I struggle to remember the last animated anything that was as downright charming and has made me smile as much as this show does. It's simply a pure joy to watch, and nary an ounce of fanservice in sight either (I dont mind it, but it has it's place in anime, and it is definitely not here). When was the last time you saw an anime that innocent? The characters are obviously still just as great as they were in the movies, and it even seems like they're fleshing out the plot elements and world-building as well, which is all I could ever want out of a full length series of LWA. I thought the rebooting of the OVA's would make the earlier episodes a bit tedious to get through, but that's not the case at all. They do a great job of mixing things up, while still retaining the essence of the originals. In fact, I think I may be liking it more this time around. All these aspects, and especially the animation, come together to make the most "Saturday morning cartoon" feeling anime I've ever seen, and I absolutely love it. So glad it's going to be be 26 episodes too, since so many anime these days keep opting for the single cour instead.

Last edited by Jayhosh on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I generally make it a rule to watch my anime through legal streaming, but I had to make an exception for this one. I can only feel so bad when I'm already giving Netflix my money every month. And it's not like i won't rewatch it when they do add it anyway, because it's sooo good.

Which is what I told myself when I finally cracked. I'll watch the dub on Netflix with my family.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Are the original Little Witch Academia OVA EVER going to be officially released in the West?

I never understood why they didn't re-release them after going to all the trouble to actually dub them!

I still kick myself in the butt for not buying the original OVA LE!
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is the one and only place where I've heard Ursula having the surname "Charistes". I've really got to question this.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
The anticipated Netflix release has driven me up a wall and I don't know how much longer I can wait. But atleast when it finally is released it will be dubbed. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
I honestly had no idea that Sucy was supposed to be "Southeast Asian", although that's a vague geographic description that comprises many different nations and ethnicities. "Manbavaran" doesn't seem to be a surname used in the real world (as far as I can find on Google) but it does sound vaguely Indian-inspired, which means she'd more likely to be Thai or Burmese than, say, Vietnamese. Or possibly Balinese. EDIT: Probably not Balinese; I raised the possibility because of the Hindu influences on the island but that name wouldn't fit traditional Balinese naming practices.

EDIT II: This Twitter post says "Manbavaran" is Besayan/Cebuano for "Witchcraft"... so maybe Suci is Filipino from the Visayas?

I know it doesn't say this in the ANN profile but profiles of Sucy on some other sites say she's "half-human"; does this mean that Sucy is half-monster/fantasy creature, or do they just mean one of her parents is a witch and the other is a Mugg... I mean, "an ordinary non-magical human"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
With the introduction of their Anime Strike channel Amazon is simulcasting their shows. And remember that Kabaneri was also simulcasted week to week.

Not many people are going to shell out $159/year ($99 for Prime plus the extra $60 for Strike) just to watch one or two new shows per season. I don't recall if Battery was telecasted weekly, nor do I remember where I watched it, because I quickly dropped it.

Like others here, I try and stick to legal sources, but as a subscriber to both Prime and Netflix, I don't feel bad about resorting to other means when the licensors behave in such wrong-headed ways. I wasn't about to wait for Amazon to release Fune wo Amu either. If you look around to anime sites on the Internet, you'll see how little attention such an excellent show has received. It wasn't reviewed here when it aired because it wasn't available legally in the US, and it's not showing up on end-of-year best-of competitions like AnimeSuki's Choice Awards because hardly anyone watched it.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Right, why must ANN tease us with this when we can't even watch it??
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Are the original Little Witch Academia OVA EVER going to be officially released in the West?

I never understood why they didn't re-release them after going to all the trouble to actually dub them!

I still kick myself in the butt for not buying the original OVA LE!
They are on Netflix! Or did you mean release as in an actual physical copy? If the latter, then I'm crossing my fingers with you that they do it eventually (but at least there's a way to watch them in the meantime!).

Like some others, I just couldn't wait on this one, despite my usual determination to only watch shows the karmically positive way. I'll binge it again once it's all out on Netflix!
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
I generally make it a rule to watch my anime through legal streaming, but I had to make an exception for this one. I can only feel so bad when I'm already giving Netflix my money every month. And it's not like i won't rewatch it when they do add it anyway, because it's sooo good.

Which is what I told myself when I finally cracked. I'll watch the dub on Netflix with my family.

The moment I heard Netflix got this I knew I was going to be breaking the law. I'll binge it again when they finally put it up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
I just gotta say that so far Trigger has been HAMMERING IT OUTTA THE BALL PARK with LWA the TV series. I loved the original OVA and was a bit meh on the sequel so I didn't really know what to expect from the TV show. My worries were needless. The characters, plot, humour and animation have been absolutely top notch. And I too am a Netflix subscriber who feels zero guilt about watching this before it is legitimately available.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
My sister and I saw the original OVA once (2013/14? I can't remember) and it was very good. Frankly I'd like to give this series a look, it looks cute, reminds me of Harry Potter and looks way better than that crappy Maho Girls Precure series (then again that franchise has been sucking lately).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2