• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release 1st Half of Gosick Anime on BD/DVD in May With Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
As if we were surprised at this point.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
I cant stand this crap. This isn't even a new show. Can Funimation really not just release it on one Blue ray set? Now i'm probably not even gonna buy it for over a year.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
2 sets? For an old show that isn't even particularly popular (and I say this as a fan of the series)? Hm.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I always appreciate it when there's just one release instead of two, especially for just a 2-cour show. I guess unlike the other Bandai-rescue releases, Go Sick is not as old of a series, had never been released in the US before (unlike Wolf's Rain/Scrapped Princess), plus they spent resources on a new dub (unlike Nichijou), so possibly that was a factor in favor of splitting the series?
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
No doubt they are trying to get as much out of this as they can. But it was 2-cour show so it isn't like they can't get away with releasing it in 12 episode chunks. Considering it is an older show and they are adding a dub, I'm not that surprised they are splitting it up.

If it's at a decent price point then will consider getting it. Although I have a lengthy list of shows I want to pick up so this might not be at the top of it anyways.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I cant stand this crap. This isn't even a new show. Can Funimation really not just release it on one Blue ray set? Now i'm probably not even gonna buy it for over a year.

There are even worse practices done by Aniplex. This is just something Funi traditionally does when it acquires an unreleased show and they do it at a fair enough price. Don't want to get it? That's completely fine (the show isn't even good anyway). There are better things worth spending.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
So glad this is getting dubbed. I remember the poll that funimation has on here about what shows people wanted them to license rescue and Gosick was on there and I remember voting for it alone with Nichijo.

Been a long time since I saw the show and being a mystery genre there is a lot of talking at times so a dub would make it that much more enjoyable to watch a second time around.

Also, I wish they would get Mela LEE to dub Victorique, she is the same actress that does the voice of Shinku of Rozen Maiden in the first 2 season. She would be perfect for Victorique, but I highly doubt that that will happen.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad this is finally getting a dub, there are still so many gems out there which practically demand it though....cough...Nichijou for example :p
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
The show was "meh" in my opinion, but cool its getting a dub for those fans. I am confused why this would get dubbed but Nichijou wouldn't; I figure that it would be the more popular of the two since it's a KyoAni show, sure.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

There are even worse practices done by Aniplex. This is just something Funi traditionally does when it acquires an unreleased show and they do it at a fair enough price. Don't want to get it? That's completely fine (the show isn't even good anyway). There are better things worth spending.

Aside from their prices, what Aniplex does is actually what the majority of Japanese series do. Hell, they can be even worse.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
The show was "meh" in my opinion, but cool its getting a dub for those fans. I am confused why this would get dubbed but Nichijou wouldn't; I figure that it would be the more popular of the two since it's a KyoAni show, sure.

Yes, but Gosick is a Bones show, and we all know how much Funimation loves Bones. I'm guessing they just needed the resources and couldn't get them, or something. But yeah, it's now among my list of the top shows that NEED a dub, about as high as Kuroko no Basket, maybe even higher.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to say I'm pissed about something else. We get all of these other shows... and yet... STILL NO AKITO THE EXILED WTF??? We were promised we would get that in early 2017, and we currently have to DVD schedule till May! If it doesn't come out in June, I'm suing someone!

EDIT: I should also add that Funimation is going to be releasing last year's Haruchika and a movie called Momotaro as sub-only. Shame, because Haruchika was very well-received IIRC.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
I am happy it is finally getting a blu ray and dub release but no 2 pared. I will wait for the complete re release. :p
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I always appreciate it when there's just one release instead of two, especially for just a 2-cour show. I guess unlike the other Bandai-rescue releases, Go Sick is not as old of a series, had never been released in the US before (unlike Wolf's Rain/Scrapped Princess), plus they spent resources on a new dub (unlike Nichijou), so possibly that was a factor in favor of splitting the series?

Whats funny is that people were going ape shit over Nichijou getting a release, and it seems way more popular, yet they are selling it as 1 set despite the fact that they can probably make even more money on it. Plus Nichijou is a newer series when compared to Gosick.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm just glad this is finally getting a dub, there are still so many gems out there which practically demand it though....cough...Nichijou for example :p

There are just some series that should not get dubbed. Nichijou is a comedy series and a lot of it would be lost in translation. Funimation would have to write a bunch of new jokes that may not even be that funny. Its like asking why Aniplex hasn't dubbed the Monogatari series yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2