• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I saw Asuna fire off the Mother's Rosario attack she inherited from Yuuki at one crucial point.

spoiler[Pretty sure? Did you miss Yuuki appearing next to Asuna in the final battle? Many manly tears were shed in my theater. Anime cry]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Fair and accurate review....I would have rated it higher but it's fair, at least. =D
I liked the little spin the movie took: In Japan, virtual reality comes to YOU! and how Kirito the biggest game fanboy on the planet was like "What no, f***k real exercise!!" Hahaha! Accurate!! Laughing

Yuna really reminded me of Miku Hatsune and I'm 100% certain that was intentional. Anime hyper

Nebs wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I saw Asuna fire off the Mother's Rosario attack she inherited from Yuuki at one crucial point.

spoiler[Pretty sure? Did you miss Yuuki appearing next to Asuna in the final battle? Many manly tears were shed in my theater. Anime cry]

My theater also squeed when that happened. Anime hyper

I so need the bluray of this movie right now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about what sorts of technical problems the theater had, especially since this seems like it's not a rarity for anime screenings, though it should be. Why do they seem to be plagued by such mishaps? I say "seem to be" since I don't have more than anecdotal reports, and I might just not be hearing about problems at other types of movies.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a big SAO fan, but I wanted to go to support my local theater so that they would show more movies like this. I did enjoy the movie. The battle scenes were awesome, the haram was practically gone, OP Kirito was gone spoiler[ until the end ] , and they focused more on Kirito and Asuna's relationship. I really enjoyed this one scene with Klein spoiler[ when that guy broke his arm and Yuna was singing ] it was really well directed.

Because the haram ruined my view of Kirito/Asuna I kinda... couldn't take it serious the whole time, but for those that love them together you'll really enjoy it. Overall, I would watch this again with the English dub. The fights and animation are what stood out the most to me.

One thing I didn't like was everyone's eagerness to spoiler[ fight the floor bosses from their SAO experience. ] Maybe they had no time to explore, but like NO one was spoiler[ triggered? No one wanted to not experience the trauma again? It just felt odd. Even Kirito avoided it until he had to step in, even though it wasn't because he was scared, but more because he didn't like AR. At least it was an excuse lol. ]
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Quote:

My theater also squeed when that happened. Anime hyper

I so need the bluray of this movie right now.
I literally just got done instagramming a really dope picture of Kirito and Asuna in Ordinal Scale and tagged Aniplex of America that I'm going to need this to come out on Blu-ray sooner than later xD

My theater also was very emotional during the Yuuki moment! There's no doubt in mind that I was one of the loudest during this moment haha yelling YUUUUUUKI at the top of my lungs! Everybody seemed to follow suit which was so cool! Smile
ZeHaffen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
About the only thing missing is Sinon's Hecate rifle, but she has enough other cool weaponry that the omission is forgivable.
But.. she did use her Hecate rifle. At the very end, spoiler[when she got her GGO outfit, she very clearly got her Hecate as well.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Quote:

As I alluded to in the review, there were rampant technical problems in my theater, and these occasionally briefly blacked out the screen. One of those did happen right around the time Asuna was doing that, so it's entirely probable that we all missed it. Since I didn't see the Hecate rifle, that was probably also part of one of the black-outs. (And BTW, screen black-outs are especially bad when you're watching things subbed.)

For us, the most painfully ironic line was Yui's comment near the end, as they're spoiler[watching the meteor shower], about how the images looked a little green. That got a lot of laughs as that pretty much summed up the whole movie for us. The timing of some of the blackouts also raised several snide comments about it being censored, since only brief fragments of the scene where Kirito is in Asuna's bedroom were visible.

The problems were so bad that everyone at the movie was given a free movie pass by the manager. The only question is whether the player was janky, whether someone in the booth didn't know what they were doing, or whether the movie sent to them by Fathom Events was bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As I alluded to in the review, there were rampant technical problems in my theater, and these occasionally briefly blacked out the screen

There were a lot of reports from around the country of various problems. In Seattle we were spared them thankfully.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I had a ton of fun at this movie! Thankfully, our theater was problem free, and had really incredible sound quality and boy was it loud! Several other people in the audience dressed up and there was lots of cheering, booing, and yelling, and as it was completely packed, I honestly feel badly for the screen next to ours...it was really loud...hehe. Had an awesome experience and I can't wait to see whats next for SAO!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
No problems where I was, movie was fairly enjoyable and I'm thankful the review didn't go where I thought it might with criticism that spoiler[Kirito gets uber-powered again, saves the damsel in distress hiding in her room, sets up a great story concept in the "does love survive if the memories are gone" question only to dismiss it a few scenes later when Asuna gets her memories returned, pacing too slow at first and then too fast in the last fight, etc.]
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
I saw the movie here in Florida and the only issue we had was the introductions from the VAs at the beginning. It was extremely quiet, hard to hear. The movie played normally though and the theater was packed, which is unusual in my area except for the really hyped up releases (any marvel movie for example). It was exciting and it was enjoyable to hear everyone squee and laugh at the same moments.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
The screening i went to wasn't loud enough but i enjoyed the film nonetheless.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
YouTube will make this review null in time.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I may not be a huge SAO fan, but I also wanted to go and support the movie and the theater, so that they might show more movies of this nature. The strange thing about it was that the SAO movie was only scheduled to be shown (near me) on this date at The Music Box theater in Chicago. I checked previously and it seemed that it was almost sold out there. On the day of the scheduled SAO movie showing, I happened to go online to check times for another movie. I accidentally noticed that the Muvico Rosemont 18 theaters in Rosemont, IL was suddenly showing a time for the SAO movie that had popped up that very same day. Because there was no previous indication that the movie would be shown at this theater, there were only about thirty people in the large auditorium that they showed the movie in. The movie played flawlessly, large screen, great sound, and the audience seemed to enjoy themselves. It is a shame that there seemed to be issues at some of the other showings around the country, but I am lucky that I was able to see the movie and that it was a good experience.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
YouTube will make this review null in time.

The hatedom is already whining, but this is coming from someone who hates SAO who just wants them to shut up, what annoys me about the hatedom, as much as I do not like the anime, I don't like how they think their opinion is the only one that matters, and that they're right about everything regarding SAO.

Plus they all tend to repeat themselves in what they hate about this franchise, let the fans have fun, YEESH!

I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I won't recommend not watching it, I see a lot of things that I know people will like, the characters don't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

This mentality of "I hate SAO and you should too," is annoying me, and I didn't like the show before it became hip anime cred on YouTube to hate it. I still don't like it, but I'll defend the fandom for liking it because getting onto someone because they like something you don't is stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5