• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote

Re:CREATORS (TV)

Genres: Action
Themes:

Plot Summary: Humans have created many stories. Joy, sadness, anger, deep emotion. Stories shake our emotions, and fascinate us. However, these are only the thoughts of bystanders. But what if the characters in the story have "intentions"? To them, are we god-like existences for bringing their story into the world? Our world is changed. Mete out punishment upon the realm of the gods. In Re:CREATORS, everyone becomes a Creator.
----------------------------------

The staff consists of some noticeable names and it's an original anime.
Could be a hit or a miss. I'm going to be optimistic about it as the premise sounds kinda interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Saw it on Anime Strike today.

The MC is pretty generic and not impressive but he gets himself caught into another world. I think the highlight of the show/episode is the music so far. Very noticeable soundtrack.

The place Celestia came from is mysterious so I hope they explore more that later. They didn't waste much time introducing Gunpuku no Himegimi into this show either. Plenty of action so far. Not all the main characters were introduced yet and we didn't see much of the OP song clips. However, I think the show itself establishes its premise already. Episode ends with the quote 'only takes 1 second for the world to change'. It's 22 episodes (2 cour) so plenty of time to develop the story and characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
It is a very simple concept, take fictional characters and have a scenario where some of them come to the real world and "play is straight".

From the implication, our male lead Sota is potentially a "new god" due to his interest in wanting to write out his own work within the near future, but for now he is the usual "average high school lead" in a situation that is certainly over his head.

Selesia (Celestia?) is a hybrid of concepts in regards to lady of war leads, if she was blonde she would be a ringer for a Sabre variant of Fate/Stay fame.

One of the more striking moments is the apparent train suicide at the start of the episode of an otherwise unknown young lady, it is odd that the rest of the episode does not directly acknowledge the event which makes it even more strange as it should no doubt come into play in the future.

That out of the way, this is easily one of the strongest first episode of the season and will be a contender for best first episode of the year as I am already hooked.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am sure most of us have thought about this exact same situation, or at least I have in terms of story writing. I checked the preview guide and was shocked something could get so many high marks, that I would have to expect myself to be disappointed because just looking at the thumbnail made me think that this was the standard stuff that could not live up to such high standards. And I would say that for the most parts it did, there were a bunch of creative elements to look into as being well done. Like the contrast of the more standard anime screen choreography on his tablet being contrasted with the things happening out around him. My favourite moment for action in particular was when the swords were trying to hit the car and then we had the zoom to the villain on the road, that was really well done.

And to contrast with a show I was disappointed with this season, I think that this episode did really well in the sound design area. In general timing seemed to be down perfectly, but I felt at any one time they had all sound and music in perfectly to draw you in. Art felt really good and expressive, like in general the light novel like fantasy pulled into the more down to earth setting. But I also think there was a moment with looking at the villain that I fully appreciated the sort of detail into it like it was the idea the creators have for that sort of character really drawn out.

My thoughts so far. The music is being done by Hiroyuki Sawano, who I am a pretty big fan of, but two of the shows he worked with were Aldnoah Zero and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, two shows that had the awesome music and some awesome animation for especially a first episode that they got all of the attention. Those two shows fell apart (at no fault of Sawano), so I kind of feel like I am almost in another chance to be disappointed. I feel jaded that I actually want to expect the worst, that this is just going to devolve, but perhaps if I do think that way I will be happily surprised if it does stay really good. The last show I can think of that started with "Re:" and was meta including with transportation to another world setting turned out to be really good following a strong start, so who knows.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of offside on this title. The previews and comments by other posters seem fairly uniformly ecstatic about the episode, but I was just kinda "meh" about it. It's not that anything about it was particularly bad, it's just that I found myself not really caring about what was going on. I'll stick with it and hopefully I'll start to get more into it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Not really liking what I've seen from this so far. The premise it neat and all but from what I'm seeing it feels like it's going to turn into another "Weak normal human male with some special power is constantly protected by his ever growing harem of OP magical females" which I don't have a taste for anymore (it died after Date A Live). None of the characters are all that likeable personally (let's hold a blade up to a guy who you deliberately saved, was clearly helpless and got you out of situation you weren't going to win!) so maybe that will change with time.

I'm also kind of sick of Sawano at this point since he just sticks to one composition style and can't seem to do much else. People give Hans Zimmer way to much shit when his Japanese counterpart does the same thing yet is praised constantly! Razz
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Sawano can actually do quite a bit, he just doesn't anymore. I remember liking the music, but it's hard to imagine today's Sawano doing a soundtrack for this show.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Sawano can actually do quite a bit, he just doesn't anymore. I remember liking the music, but it's hard to imagine today's Sawano doing a soundtrack for this show.

Oh trust me I know. I've listened to his past stuff and it's actually pretty great/diverse especially the J dramas (personal favorite is Gigantic Formula because it perfectly combines every side of Sawano). It just feels post Gundam he settled into his current style and produces more less the same music with the same vocalists with a few minor alterations to themes he's already composed. It's not exclusive to him of course, Akira Senju does the same thing (you'll hear Fullmetal Alchemist in just about everything he composed for afterwards) and Kaoru Wada (if you've heard Inuyasha you've heard it all). He just seems to get away with it more because his composition style is more appealing to the general public.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
I initially thought this was going to be a standard otaku show. Then I saw it get universal praise in the preview guide, which told me that it probably isn't, which made me watch it. Hopefully this is one of those rare times where I really like something that's popular. Hey, it happens from time to time Anime hyper.

It may seem kind of strange, but I really like the characters in this so far. It's odd because they're supposed to be parodies of anime chliches. But somehow they manage to be a lot more compelling to me than most examples of the archetypes they're based on. Silesia seems to be in that 'aggressive but stable' heroine archetype, like Saber from Fate or Balsa from Moribito. Actually she seemed a bit like Birdy from the show of the same name, which is great because Birdy's one of my favorite characters.

in the context of this show, these characters are not just the solipsistic creations of their authors. One could imagine them being more 'npc-like' or rote, essentially automata: just characters made real. But they're not. They may have the larger than life personalities common to anime characters, but their self awareness brings another level to them: they simultaneously have preferences and personalities informed by the anime tropes, but within that they have the spark of life, the actual person inside them trying to decide the best thing to do.

For example, the short haired mage who suggests that the narrator should doubt his sanity said it in a way that wasn't just cutesy-faux-logical like it might have been; it was really intelligent-sounding and legitimately obtuse. You don't know whether she's joking or exactly what the joke is, and that's great because someone really like that would in fact be able to mess with a lot of 'normal' people, rather than it just being an affectation to appeal to otaku who like that archetype. She still gets chip crumbs on her face, but hey, she's a cahracter so she has an excuse Razz.

Silesia also has her own brilliant moment of inscrutibility, which is easily my favorite part of the episode. when Silesia and the narrator are questioning each other and trying to figure out what's going on, the narrator tries to explain taht she is a fictional character, ultimately reading out loud some of the light novel she's from and showing her a drawing. Silesia looks at it for a minute, shocked, and then falls to her knees and hangs her head. Is she deep in thought, or just shocked? Does she understand the implications of what he's just showed her? does she just think she does? Or does she not get it and know she doesn't understand. He then gushes about the show for a while, until she slowly holds a hand to signal to him to stop. She then says, "I understand."

but the big question is, how much does she really understand? We don't get to see the thought process that led to her saying this, but it certainly isn't what one might naiively expect her to say. It says something about the skill that's gone into the characterization for you to not understand why they're doing what they're doing, but still see it as realistic and interesting.

I think the fact that they're fictional makes them more real somehow. I guess what I like the most is the fact that this manages to have 'ridiculously' constructed characters with more realism and honesty than they usually have.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
Something that might be an intriguing development is the nature of a once fictional creation questioning there own motivations in a "world of the gods", are they acting on there own beliefs or are they still following the script of "being the villain" as the initial antagonist Gunpuku no Himegimi could be working through a literal identity crisis.

If you were to meet your creator, would you despise them or thank them if they granted you various hardships to overcome or forced into a soul crushing situation, what if you were the designated villain to be hated?

I am unsure if this show would go such a route as it set up its first episode, but it would be intriguing if this show becomes much more than "anime proxies duke it out".
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
^ i agree.

If I were to learn that I was a fictional character like this, I don't think I could hate my creator for creating my hardships because they had no way of knowing that they were creating an actual person experiencing those hardships.

As for the characters questioning their own motivations, I really want to see that too.

From what we've seen through indirect hints so far, I'd bet this is going to go into this kind of interesting territory, rather than merely being "anime proxies duke it out".
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
^ i agree.

If I were to learn that I was a fictional character like this, I don't think I could hate my creator for creating my hardships because they had no way of knowing that they were creating an actual person experiencing those hardships.

I feel like that would depend on the severity of said hardships. If we start getting into some darker things like rape and readers/creators enjoying seeing a creation go through that I feel them being pissed would be be justified at least from their perspective.

Also I kind of wonder if a creator makes a creation write something within their own story is it possible for characters in the story within the story to exist? Shocked *inception horn*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Hmm, this episode was interesting. We got to know a little bit more about Meteora. Still really curious about that white haired woman though as we don't know anything about her. They introduced Mamika (the magical girl) this episode although I don't think she and Celestia will get along well. The guy who arrived at the end seems to have a mysterious ability too (reminds me of Susanno from Naruto Shippuden for some reason...).

Celestia's creator is pretty unimpressive. I had the same impression as she did tbh.

Action wise, the show still shines at that department along with the music. The OP song is one my favorites this season. ED theme song is kinda cute.

Another thing I really hope they plan to explore in this show is the other words. So far, they're only narrating about them but I want to see what they are actually like. Content wise, I think they are developing the mechanics of this show wisely without rushing it so far.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I wish the show would slow down a bit. I don't find the ACTION!!! and PLOT ADVANCEMENT!!! all that interesting, but the awkwardness of these characters trying to communicate with each other is far more compelling to me.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I am almost certain our White Haired Military garbed girls creator... spoiler[Was the suicide girl from episode one, so what happens when God is Dead?

The connection to our male lead is likely she knew Sota in Middle school or something and they had a shared interest in writing up there own doujin, no one read her work and those that glanced on it mocked it under anonymous names online.]

As for episode 2, it makes a lot of sense that Meteora is not very vocal as her original character was a background NPC in the last area of an RPG, it is also amusing it ties into the nature that her "creator" is pretty much a large conglomerate game maker with maybe a specific sprite animator being the closest she might get to a proper single creator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9