• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aodmisery

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
i started out with ghibli films on mine. then just started watching anime around him while he was in the room. he really didn't care for it as in its just another cartoon. but little by little he started sitting down and watching it with me. now he's addicted to attack on titan, one punch man. unfortunately he only wants to watch dubbed anime. and introducing him to new series is kinda hard i just have to start watching it on my own and he eventually will sit down to watch
Rednimue

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I highly suggest everything Pretty cure, It should be called Glitter Force on netflix !
Even Love Live! seems a pretty Kids friendly one to me.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hope you're not much of a prude to be offended by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-EpHP6KiE
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
There are a few youngster friendly shows out there, although translation can get in the way. I can't think of anything offensive about The Adventures of Mini-Goddess, which looks like it could work for 5-10 year olds and be a nice intro to anime. Although the rock band episode has Urd call her band Urd's Drug Junkies, which was probably cool but meaningless to Japan's children, but has a whole other meaning in the West.

It might be worth revisiting shows that have played to Western children and served to hook them on anime without them knowing it, shows like Ulysses, 31, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Battle of the Planets, Around the World with Willy Fog, Sherlock Hound, Nadia, Secret of the Blue Water, Oban Star Racers, they've all been ensured to be child friendly for local broadcast, and they are all dubbed, and they'll introduce your young uns to anime without dealing out too many cultural specific tropes and cliches.

The only problem there is the animation will be dated, so best get them used to it before they see too much modern CG animation to get set in their ways.

Last edited by Just Passing Through on Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pauladls

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I tried and failed they prefer western shows
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Bonobono is a pretty solid kids' show (though it's only available with Japanese audio).

The Japanese have a different mindset than other countries. Fanservice tends to be okay over there regardless of age (though it's usually tamer) though it's not something you'd show your kids over here. Sgt. Frog is an example but its suggestive material is still nothing compared to stuff like Highschool DxD (don't show that to your kids, at all).

I say show them American cartoons that have a similar appeal to anime. Avatar the Last Airbender, Batman: the Animated Series, Beast Wars, Spectacular Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Voltron: Legendary Defender, etc. That kind of stuff and go from there.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I am not a parent, but if I was I would not encourage him/her to watch anime (or really any kind of cartoon) before 5. If the child became curious about anime around 7, I would tell him/her that there are animes for young children and I might show him/her a Ghibli film or something well animated.

But I rather have the child become curious about anime after 10. That way I will be able to show him/her more interesting, well written and well produced stuff because it my experience children's anime are mediocre and not worth watching.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The simple answer is to look for the tag "Kodomo" and try to find what is legal available and english dubbed. But is unfortunate that most kodomo anime is unavailable outside Japan.

The only way is to look for some "toy shonen" anime.

There also some anime for children adapt from western stories like:
Heidi, Girl of the Alps
Vicky the Viking
Maya the Honey Bee
But these are a bit old,but now they are doing CG versions of some of these.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon May 08, 2017 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
KH91

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am not a parent, so my advice will be based on the usual anime knowledge I bring to the table

Just like me. I only recommend the anime that aired on Fox Kids, Kids WB, Toonami, etc. as starter guides.

Quote:
If you're not against showing her "toy commercial anime," Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are still going strong

You linked the Toei version of Yu-Gi-Oh!, which is only in Japan and not for little kids in comparison to Pokemon. You want the Yu-Gi-Oh! 2000 version.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
If subtitles ain't a problem, Chi's Sweet Adventure would probably be good for young kids. Don't really need to understand what they're saying, since it's mostly about watching a CG cat get overexcited. Same with Lovely Muco, though with a dog.

Good recent dubbed series would be Ronja the Robber's Daughter, though admittedly that might be down to my being blinded to its flaws by the fact its one of the once in a blue moon dubs done by mostly UK actors (& Gillian Anderson). Certainly seemed better than I expected, considering its poor performance in Japan.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Not a parent, but I've shown stuff to friends' younger siblings before. The Unico films are pretty good bets because the protagonists and character designs are so cute. There's some scary imagery in them, but not anything worse than your average Disney film. And for more action oriented shows, I'd recommend Glitter Force, the 2003 Astro Boy series and especially Princess Tutu.

And, uh, the not exactly legal recommendations. Embarassed

Ojamajo Doremi/Magical DoReMi is hands down my absolute favorite Japanese children's show. 4kids dubbed the entire first series, but it's been unlicensed for years. You can probably find the dubbed eps floating around a couple of places. And Tenkai Knights is also in a weird situation where the whole thing is dubbed, but only the first few episodes were released on DVD. There's also a pretty decent fandub of One Stormy Night (Akashi no Yoru ni) on YouTube.It's a talking animal movie like Unico, but since it hasn't already been brought over here, I kind of doubt it ever will.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I also think it's worth mentioning that dubbing for kids' entertainment (I swear that wasn't intentional at all) tends to water everything down. Even kids' dubs with good acting (that aren't movies) have poor scripts that lose the intention of the original script to appeal to an overseas child demographic. As much as I agree with showing your kid a dub, expect what people usually complain about.
JB Gra

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
I highly suggest everything Pretty cure, It should be called Glitter Force on netflix !
Even Love Live! seems a pretty Kids friendly one to me.

Except for some booty shots and boobs groping bits.

Answering the new father's question, I think the best is for your kid to let them watch what they want. They probably will find anime later in life, like must of us did.

Here in my house we have a little toddler and me and my hubbie watch anime from time to time. Mind you, some of the things we watch are not kid friendly, but my daughter barely pays attention to what we are watching (she prefers to create disaster around the house lol). The only parts I noticed have caught her attention from animes are the openings and endings, especially if the song is a cheery one. For example, she likes to watch Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid ending.

Your kid will go through stages all their life so what they like right now won't be the same as the things they will like a few years later.

Last edited by JB Gra on Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Satarel

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Ghibli stuff with myou kid since she was little, and she enjoyed them but they didn't stick hard. Now that she's almost 7 and a pretty strong reader, she likes Ouran, Pokemon, and a bunch of things we lucked out on...she's a big fan of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (in addition to a bunch of western stuff). We hit on hard fandom recently, though, with Cardcaptor Sakura. She's constantly singing the themesongs phonetically and wants to cosplay as her at the next con. I'm glad there is a new series next year, because I'm running out of episodes to keep up with her appetite.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8