• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 6-12 [2017-05-17]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
man the reveals in Attack on Titan really are popular episodes haha
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Not surprised by AoT claiming the throne. That was easily one of the best episodes of the year so far.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Not surprised by AoT claiming the throne. That was easily one of the best episodes of the year so far.

Still, Jacob did say it's really hard for the most popular show to take the #1 slot.
Jhechav

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying Sagrada Reset, even if it's meh. I like the tone. I also think the most recent episode was the best, in terms of pacing. And much less rambling. I get why people don't like it, though.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Still, Jacob did say it's really hard for the most popular show to take the #1 slot.

Oh definitely, the Shulze method is actually much harder on shows with more ratings, since it comparison based, instead of aggregate. Just goes to show how good that episode actually was Very Happy
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hard to believe Sakura Quest took a big dip after episode six while it jumped up one spot in the cumulative rankings. Because of the timing, it's kind of hard to get an idea of how popular it is from this chart since it goes up without featuring the most recent episode.

I thought ep.7 was really good Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
I'm enjoying Sagrada Reset, even if it's meh. I like the tone. I also think the most recent episode was the best, in terms of pacing. And much less rambling. I get why people don't like it, though.

The premise and the ideas sound really interesting to me, so I still plan to catch that one at the end of the season, but it's a bit of a bummer to see how drab most people think it is.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Jhechav wrote:

The premise and the ideas sound really interesting to me, so I still plan to catch that one at the end of the season, but it's a bit of a bummer to see how drab most people think it is.

From the 5 minutes of episode one that I managed to watch before giving up, Sagrada Reset is among the most boring and stiff anime I have ever come across. It might have great ideas, but I feel no desire to watch it.
Jhechav

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Jhechav wrote:

From the 5 minutes of episode one that I managed to watch before giving up, Sagrada Reset is among the most boring and stiff anime I have ever come across. It might have great ideas, but I feel no desire to watch it.

Funny thing is I totally get why people don't like it, but I'm not watching 20 shows this season and I don't hate it, so I'm keeping up with it for the time being.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can't help myself. Laughing

I'm usually not very easily bored, but I've been here long enough to have a general idea of your tastes, in particular, angelmcazares, and I don't think we're all that different.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree that we have similar tastes, but the main reason why I don't want to give Sagrada Reset a chance is probably because I am starting to become really intolerant of mediocre production values. I could find Sagrada Reset interesting, but its visuals are so dull and cheap for me to truly become engaged.
PsFreedom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree with your rank here and this is my opinions.

SukaSuka,
I agree, EP5 is not really good as your list shown. It's rush. The story is quite random and we suddenly have a very important scene at the end out of nowhere. But, EP6 is really good though. I think SukaSuka will come back next week. Very Happy

Re:Creator,
We start to have something serious with government's affair. It's kind of mixed theme to me but, yeah, it's reasonable. The rank is a bit too high for me but acceptable and I can understand.

DanMachi: Sword Oratoria,
After 3-4 EPs with Yuri-bait. We now got something about Ais Wallenstein's background which is interesting enough to raise its rank. We learn that Ais is not flawless. There is someone who can push her to a corner in a serious fight and she has her own problem and thinking. So, she is not that very bland.

Tsuki ga Kirei,
I just love their every character in this show. They have their own way of thinking. When problems happen, it's not just they break up and leads to forced drama by the plot which is just stupid boring. They can talk, think and have reasonable decision too. So, really deserve the 3rd rank here.

Saekano,
Utaha's arc is good. We see a lot of her sides though. Good character development and, yes, quality fanservice. Just about the right rank for this Arc Very Happy

Sakura Quest,
I can feel that the story has pretty slow pacing now. I know that it's SoL with 24EPs but they need to leave some impression too. Like Maid-Dragon, it's also SoL but KyoAni does a pretty good job though.
PsFreedom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Jhechav wrote:

Funny thing is I totally get why people don't like it, but I'm not watching 20 shows this season and I don't hate it, so I'm keeping up with it for the time being.

I agree with you people above about Sagrada Reset though. I have watched only 2 EPs but I don't think it's bad. But, they talk a lot, they have very long and deep conversation that, sometimes, it's just hard to keep up with.

For me, who watch like 10 shows per season. It's just too much info-dump. So, I dropped it but I did not mean it's a bad show. Visual, Art is good with Top-Tier voice actresses. Kana Hanazawa and Yuuki Aoi are just great. Absolutely love their voice Very Happy

Last edited by PsFreedom on Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Sagrada Reset, but I don't know that I would suggest it. I've been interested enough in what they are doing but it just so dry on every level. The leads (and others) talk like robots but I don't necessarily put that on the actors as I think they are supposed to act like that. Most of the ideas were interesting enough but some were questionable, like the Macguffin that is literally called the Macguffin. It is to the point that I think putting up for review was a mistake as even as a hatewatch, it wouldn't be a good candidate because if the show fails it is in the least interesting way, by being boring. Though I guess it is helpful for those who are on the fence not watching it so they know if they should watch it if it gets better later.

Edit: After watching the most recent episode, I think I found another source of the leads' robotic affect. The character animation is average generally but for the leads, especially Haruki, it is stiff and unexpressive even compared to the rest of the cast, though like the voice acting, it may be to some extent intentional. Seriously, Haruki's expression rarely ventures too far from a blank stare.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sagrada Reset is definitely the worst show I'm still watching this season, but I've also dropped three other shows for thinking they were actually bad. Sagrada is just very mediocre. Very.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2