• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Nier Automata: I've been hearing a lot of positive love about this game. I'm very curious to try it out.

Lost Sphear: This looks like it will take what Setsuna tried to do and improve on it. There is one character in the trailer that caught my attention. Hopefully more info about the cast gets released soon.

Dark Rose Valkyrie:

Quote:
The preponderance of games with Valkyrie in the title doesn't mean they're all smutfests, nor sadly does it mean the return of Valkyrie Profile.

Please, don't remind me. T__T
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Didn't bother with I Am Setsuna. It just came off as a nostalgia-grab,which like a lot of games like that, don't seem to understand what made the game their aping, good in the first place.
Klonoa1545

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Dear Japan... Knock it off with the "But one of you is a traitor!" story element/game mechanic. Seriously. Enough.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akuma to remind you that Tekken X Street Fighter still hasn't happened.

What happened with this game? I saw that it had decent reception on Wikipedia. What happened?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
As unique and potentially disruptive a concept as the new Arms game is, I'm still taken aback somewhat by the character designs. Are they robots? If not, have their 'real' arms been amputated for the sake of their sport? This matter was at the forefront of my mind while watching people play it recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as Breath of the Wild is not Switch exclusive, Arms has been the defining title for the system for me for a while. It looks like a fantastic update on the Punch Out formula with a slew of new elements added into it. That said, I also must gush about the awesome character designs. Nintendo may just have another fanart extravaganza with this one (and Splatoon when it returns this summer).

Now, Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni doesn't appeal to me. I don't know what about it really negatively impacts me - as I do enjoy the Senran Kagura titles, but this one just doesn't do anything for me.

Nier Automata selling well is great news! A success for both Yoko Taro and Platinum Games is always good news, add in the fact that the game is just an utter blast to play (you're missing out on a lot of great gameplay and story if you stop with ending A) and it really deserves these sales. Definitely a front runner for GOTY 2017 for me.

I didn't realize Dark Rose Valkyrie was releasing so soon. I thought it was still a little while off (more an end of June title than start of June), but I'm looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing what people think. Omega Quintet had a great combat system, and this one looks to build off of it. So I'm eager to find out if there's a better game here than OQ. [/b]
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:

What happened with this game? I saw that it had decent reception on Wikipedia. What happened?

For all I know, its still currently in Development Limbo, so don't expect much of it until its fully realized, hopefully after Tekken 7, this gets back into it somehow.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind if they just scrapped Tekken x Street Fighter at this point and salvaged it into a "Namco x Capcom" fighter.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they just scrapped Tekken x Street Fighter at this point and salvaged it into a "Namco x Capcom" fighter.

Good now all that needs to happen is for Namco to come up with an iconic roster of characters that aren't simply from Tekken or Pac-Man.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
I could only play two sessions of the ARMS Testpunch...I live in the Pacific Time Zone, so the Friday 5 PM one happened when I was at work, the Saturday 5 PM one was when I was away elsewhere, and the 5 AM ones were way too early for me. The same will likely happen for the second one.

I noticed videos on YouTube of ARMS is substantially lower in view count than their high-profile Switch comrades though, like Splatoon 2, Sonic Forces, and Super Mario Odyssey, and even the Testpunch videos people have been putting up are below-average relative to their other videos. I am quite interested in the game and I intend to buy it, but it seems many people on YouTube aren't even interested enough to watch the Testpunch footage.

SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:

From what I can recall, the people at Namco were not happy with the lack of sales and the mechanics that annoyed players, especially the gems, that they put the game in development hell.

Zin5ki wrote:
As unique and potentially disruptive a concept as the new Arms game is, I'm still taken aback somewhat by the character designs. Are they robots? If not, have their 'real' arms been amputated for the sake of their sport? This matter was at the forefront of my mind while watching people play it recently.

The circumstances are as of yet unknown, but they ARE humans. They apparently suddenly woke up one day with the ARMS condition, and the playable characters are the ones who decided to join the league as athletes.

There is a tapestry in the DNA Lab stage (available in the first Testpunch, not sure about this second one) with an art style similar to Medieval European art depicting two ARMS fighters underneath a tree with spiral branches. This suggests the ARMS condition has been present in their world for at least centuries.

CaRoss wrote:
Seeing as Breath of the Wild is not Switch exclusive, Arms has been the defining title for the system for me for a while. It looks like a fantastic update on the Punch Out formula with a slew of new elements added into it. That said, I also must gush about the awesome character designs. Nintendo may just have another fanart extravaganza with this one (and Splatoon when it returns this summer).

It already has. There's a bunch of crossover art with other stretchy-limbs characters like Monkey D. Luffy, Mr. Fantastic, and Mega Man's Spring Man. And there's been a lot of artists' comparisons to the Overwatch characters, due to the games having similar character design (especially Mechanica vs. D.Va).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It already has. There's a bunch of crossover art with other stretchy-limbs characters like Monkey D. Luffy, Mr. Fantastic, and Mega Man's Spring Man. And there's been a lot of artists' comparisons to the Overwatch characters, due to the games having similar character design (especially Mechanica vs. D.Va).

I'm waiting for the inevitable crossover fanart with Home Movies' "you have nice... arms" sequence.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Klonoa1545 wrote:
Dear Japan... Knock it off with the "But one of you is a traitor!" story element/game mechanic. Seriously. Enough.

Thank the gods you and your ilk have no authority over how they do things.

With that said, I've played the Japanese release of Dark Rose Valkyrie and it's middling at best. Besides the beautiful Tales of Art and the interrogation mechanic, not much to write home about it. Still, better than Valkyria Revolution.

The really bare specs that Valkyrie Drive Bikkhuni is further proof of the article's assessment of the graphics not really pushing the bar. That's a good thing. How many times have you bumped into overestimations on specs for a lot of games, particularly Japanese ones? I'm pretty sure I can still run Nier: Automata at a very good performance with my GTX 760, a card below their minimum requirements, for instance.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
How many times have you bumped into overestimations on specs for a lot of games, particularly Japanese ones? I'm pretty sure I can still run Nier: Automata at a very good performance with my GTX 760, a card below their minimum requirements, for instance.

Unless you install the fan made patch/mod for NieR, no, you can't. Before installing it, I could barely get ~45 fps with a GTX 960 on 1680x1050 resolution. That's with all settings on their lowest.

There's one graphical setting that can only be changed if you have the mod installed, and the setting is extremely demanding.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hedlok's presence in the Global Testpunch was quite intimidating, to say the least. His four arms, in addition to the arms of the fighter that he possesses, can lay waste to an unwary partner.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hedlok's presence in the Global Testpunch was quite intimidating, to say the least. His four arms, in addition to the arms of the fighter that he possesses, can lay waste to an unwary partner.

Depends on the level, I discovered. At Level 3, the players seem to completely smoke him. At Level 4, it's 50-50. I have not seen anyone defeat him at Level 5 (though I did have a match where I survived until time ran out).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2