• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Novel 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Good novel. Already looking forward to the next volume.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
1. I wanted to mention something about the next volume, but I changed my mind.
2. I kinda agree with the art, but I really appreciate how they provide a layout of the fort's map.
3. Thanks for pointing out how Black Bullet gets dark. I really need to start checking it out.
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with this volume was also the insane amount of Ranta we have to deal with... In the anime he is kind of a fool that you can tolerate, but in the LN's he's just cancer turned into a person. His vanity, and attitude are just insufferable.

Let's hope they continue with the reasonable time table of releases, it just sucks to have to wait ages for new volumes.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
After being left on the fence as to whether or not I'd get the novels of this series, it does seem like I should be checking it out. Really enjoyed the anime, and surprised at how seemingly dark things are looking, so I think I should get into this series.

BlueAlf wrote:
3. Thanks for pointing out how Black Bullet gets dark. I really need to start checking it out.

Hmm, has BB come back from its seeming hiatus? I was thinking of getting into that series, but last I checked, it hasn't had a new volume since 2014.

And, looking this up again on wikipedia...either the page hasn't been updated in awhile or the Japanese fans still haven't gotten a new volume of the LN...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

You're welcome! It's a heavy series to begin with, and after it passes where the anime left off (volume 5), things get much grimmer, both in terms of actual plot and the emotional weight of the story.

Ali07, the novels don't spend as much time exploring the emotions of the characters as the anime - there's not nearly the prolonged mourning examination that the show has - but there's a lot of new information, especially in this volume, that makes them worth reading, so assuming you're not into the show for the detailed look at the grieving process, these are worth it.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
You know, despite being a fan of Grimgar, I've had been reluctant in recommending it to others. The reason is partly because of the relatively large number of characters. But mainly, it's also because of Ranta.

Nevertheless, I think Ranta's existence is partly what makes Grimgar it's own thing. I had been expecting Ranta to grow up a little after the last volume. It turns out he kinda did, but it's just not clearly shown at this point.

IMO, Grimgar is kinda like the Souls games. But instead of given the ability to respawn, you're instead provided with an unreliable advantage in numbers.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

IMO, Grimgar is kinda like the Souls games. But instead of given the ability to respawn, you're instead provided with an unreliable advantage in numbers.

I've been wondering myself how much Grimgar was specifically influenced by tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics series.

If you recall FF tactics: You have like, a couple heros that if they die it's game over, but the majority of your party are nameless people you pick up in town and painstakingly level up... You're often left with excruciating choices in the harder events between advancing the story (but leaving one of your "expendables" to die) or losing sometimes hours of progress.
It feels to me like Jyumonji-sensei must have had quite a lot of those traumatic choices to make as a kid... leaving his painstakingly leveled up thief with a skill he'd finally grinded up to learn to die in the depths of some dungeon....
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I've been wondering myself how much Grimgar was specifically influenced by tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics series.

Now that you mention it, it didn't immediately come to mind because of the lack of politics. But that's a fair point too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1