• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul (Live-Action)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skerllyfc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
So out of the most expected japanese live action movies based on more popular properties of this year, this is the 1st good one. Good to hear that. NExt is Jojo Diamond I think. I want that one to have Angelo as the main plot, but from the trailers, it seems it's gonna compress the first 10 episodes of the series in a 2 hour movie. If it's so, I doubt it will be good.

Off topic: the 1st half of Little Witch Academia was released last friday, yet when is gonna be reviewed here?
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing a lot of positive words regarding the live action movie. Most of the people generally agreed that the CGI wasn't the best but the great acting made up for it.

By the way, I was wondering if we're going to see the interview with the director soon.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorites were... Fumika Shimizu as Touka Kirishima,

Too bad we're not going to see her in the next movie (if it happens). I hope whoever replaces her will be as good as she was.

For my part, I really loved Rize's actress. She did a great job of switching between sweet and psychotic.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
Wow. Now I'm kinda interested in seeing this movie too.

I never really got into the anime or manga.

I wonder if it'll be properly available in my country.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought it looked OK from the trailers. I hope someone picks up the Ajin live action, It looks great.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Considering how absolutely dire the anime is, this has to be an improvement by default, right?
Dayblack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Considering how absolutely dire the anime is, this has to be an improvement by default, right?

The anime is far superior to the movie. The anime encompasses much more.
Tokyo Ghoul is an excellent anime. That there are people like you who do not know to appreciate the demographic seinen, because they like shonen shits. It does not make Tokyo Ghoul a bad anime, but an anime for a target audience. That they are adults mature-minded and have seen many animes throughout their lives, and are bored with cliché stories, and shonen, like me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:

Tokyo Ghoul is an excellent anime. That there are people like you who do not know to appreciate the demographic seinen, because they like shonen shits. It does not make Tokyo Ghoul a bad anime, but an anime for a target audience. That they are adults mature-minded and have seen many animes throughout their lives, and are bored with cliché stories, and shonen, like me.

...you have to be joking, right? Tokyo Ghoul is one of the least-mature series I've ever come across. Every ounce of it screams of 14-year-old edgelords, because it believes that gratuitous gore and pseudo-horror are acceptable substitutes for even the bare minimum of storytelling and characterization. Kaneki is one of the most insufferable protagonists I've ever seen, and the rest of the cast doesn't have enough depth between them to have even made an impression on me. It reminds me for all the world of that dreadful period in my youth when I considered it acceptable to listen to Linkin Park, and I only keep those CDs around as a grim reminder of what once was. Hell, even Naruto of all things exhibits more emotional complexity.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Dayblack wrote:

...you have to be joking, right? Tokyo Ghoul is one of the least-mature series I've ever come across. Every ounce of it screams of 14-year-old edgelords, because it believes that gratuitous gore and pseudo-horror ar acceptable substitutes for even the bare minimum of storytelling and characterization. Kaneki is one of the most insufferable protagonists I've ever seen, and the rest of the cast doesn't have enough depth between them to have even made an impression on me. It reminds me for all the world of that dreadful period in my youth when I considered it acceptable to listen to Linkin Park, and I only keep those CDs around as a grim reminder of what once was. Hell, even Naruto of all things exhibits more emotional complexity.

Her response is typical of a foolish person who sees no more history. He likes those basic plot stories with unreal protagonists. Kaneki behaved like any real-life person would in his situation.

All characters whether they are ghouls or investigators have their reason for being. Nobody is bad, nobody is good, it is a gray morality. Like real life.

I will not try to explain to you what it is about tokyo ghoul and the psychological story behind, if you think tokyo ghoul is equal to Linkin Park.

Tokyo Ghoul talks about psychological issues that are in psychological textbooks and also has much of the book "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. It has nothing to do with being dark.

You continue to see your anime shonen with the protagonists of 15 years of age that fight with the bad ones of turn. And in the end win with the power of love, and has unrealistic stories and unrealistic characters.

I'm 27 years old, 18 years I've seen animes, and those stories of shonen disgust me and the stories seinen like the tokyo ghoul, were a lifesaver to keep watching anime today. Since now that I'm 27 I like the stories that make you think and have hidden things and psychological. And they are very close to reality.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Let's all just accept that everyone has different opinions on Ghoul.

Personally I really liked the series the first time I read it, but when I started the second time I found it wasn't as good. When I watched the movie I realised it fell in a pretty standard story formula. Sure, it has blood and gore and the whole "who is good who is evil" thing, but that's been done a lot (one of my favourite anime, Shiki, asks the same questions), and you have to admit there are parts of Ghoul that are contrived or formulaic. For example, the Dove guy that gets introduced as a new partner for Amon, and who, upon starting to help Amon relax, is killed. In hindsight it was a really obvious plot point to have happen. It's as formulaic as the whole "we'll expand on the backstory of this character and then kill them so you feel sad" trick.
Does this make the show bad? not necessarily. if you really dig the show and it feels like a welcome break from other shows, then that's great. But don't dismiss other people based on their opinions of it, or assume if they don't like Ghoul it's because it's ~2 deep 4 u~ or that they're immature and should go back to their ~friendship wins everything~ shounen (not that that's even an offense, because different strokes for different folks. Everything has worth, even if you personally don't like it).
Also, Dayblack, regarding your point that people who like TG are usually "adults mature-minded and have seen many animes throughout their lives, and are bored with cliché stories, and shonen". Totally not true. Tokyo Ghoul has become an entrance level anime, and is also loved by edgy teenagers. There are adults who like it, of course, but that's not the only target audience.
Also, liking TG doesn't make you "mature-minded". It just means you like TG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1