• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Stops Production on 'New Nintendo 3DS' Console

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
That was somewhat quicker than I expected.

The real questions here however, is how long will it be before the cut wi-fi on the New 3DS like they did with the DS - DSi systems. Surely not for another few years because Reggie has already said through interviews that the 3DS still has a long life ahead of it.

Edit: Never-mind, they're only stopping production on the regular New 3DS. The XL/LL will still be produced.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile in America it's still impossible to actually buy a normal sized New 3DS without a big picture of mario on it
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
They can't cut Wi-Fi for any 3DS models. They haven't released Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon yet. To cut off the Wi-Fi before releasing Pokemon games would be incredibly dumb.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Finally. It was selling poorly in comparison to the LL version this year. Best to stop production.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
The smaller 3DS is kinda irrelevant ever since they released the first XL/LL, anyway. And i knew some people would read it wrong.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised if in 12-18 months they cut the N3DS XL as well and just make the N2DS XL, giving up on the gimmicky 3D feature all together to keep their console price more accessible.
Taifood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is this the one that has backplates? If so I'm surprised. That kind of thing seems like it would help sell it more. I was kinda annoyed that the new 3DS XL didn't have it.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
The smaller 3DS is kinda irrelevant ever since they released the first XL/LL, anyway. And i knew some people would read it wrong.

Some of us like the ability to put the 3DS in our pocket
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
As much as I prefer the smaller N3DS, it makes sense to stop production on the version with the poorest performance, in order to make room for production of the N2DS XL.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
They can't cut Wi-Fi for any 3DS models. They haven't released Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon yet. To cut off the Wi-Fi before releasing Pokemon games would be incredibly dumb.

The only reason wi-fi connection on ds ended was because GameSpy, who provided the servers, shut down. I don't think such an issue will ever come to the 3ds
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
sourpatchthekid wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

The only reason wi-fi connection on ds ended was because GameSpy, who provided the servers, shut down. I don't think such an issue will ever come to the 3ds

Just as further evidence: there is Pokemon Bank, which requires you to pay $5 for a year of service over wifi. (I actually just renewed mine and have 367 days left) As such, I also can't imagine the 3ds Wifi being cut, at least without a years notice and making renewal of your membership unavailable. Personally, I think it will just remain available long past the 3DS era.
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if in 12-18 months they cut the N3DS XL as well and just make the N2DS XL, giving up on the gimmicky 3D feature all together to keep their console price more accessible.

It's not even about the price, as the most expensive version (New 3DS LL) is the main drive in the sales. They will end New 3DS LL only if New 2DS LL cause its sales to be as insignificant as New 3DS, though I doubt that will happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1