• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mary and the Witch's Flower Film to Open in 155 Countries, Territories

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Probably GKids in the US if the dub will have celebrities.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
That idea is way way complicated dude, why not let Funimation handle the dub instead?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Disney will take interest in this? They've done nothing but great dubs for the Ghibli movies.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Can I just get a release date?! lol Im excited for this!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Perhaps Disney will take interest in this? They've done nothing but great dubs for the Ghibli movies.

I don't really think Disney has any interest in localizing anime features anymore.

With few exceptions, anime is a niche product.
Hollywood studios are not interested in niche. And Disney IS a Hollywood studio whether people accept that emotionally or not. Anime generally doesn't make enough money for the Hollywood studios generally to bother with it. And in most deals, they're NOT going to outright own the IP (manga/anime) they license. It's understandable Japanese companies don't want to sell their IP's -- especially IP's that are still generating considerable income for them like Gundam.

(Of course, Bandai/Sunrise wanted $20million for the rights to Gundam in the mid-1990s which is why it went nowhere with the American studios. They're not going to pay $20million for a foreign robot show hardly anybody in the US has heard of let alone $20million for the rights to most TV series, movies, or adaptation rights of a book!)

Disney's own original feature animated films make so much more money than the average anime feature that they really don't need to license other company's films. Like any company that's big enough, they'd much rather own their movies outright rather than license films/film libraries from another company. I'm sure any Pixar or Disney CG feature film of the last 10 years has outdone even Miyazaki's greatest hits. That's not boasting -- it's just a fact.

(Disclosure: I am NOT a huge fan of post-2005 Disney/Pixar features so this isn't about chauvinism. For the last 5-7 years, I've preferred to watch feature animation produced outside of Hollywood... Besides liking the aesthetic of hand-drawn animation better -- at least for HUMANOID characters! --, I just don't care to see the millionth remake of the basic princess/fairy tale or buddy-buddy road movie -- I'm tired of the same old content and I'm not emotionally 7-years-old. And they just don't do any hand-drawn features in the US anymore. I still enjoy the older Disney classics but I just haven't cared for most of the content produced by them in the 21st century.)

Disney's behavior nowadays is as if the business of licensing Studio Ghibli product in the 1990s was more of an afterthought or fad rather than long-term strategic planning although I'm sure they're still making some money off of home video sales of Ghibli product in Japan just like the US.

Perhaps not so oddly, I don't think Disney handles Ghibli distribution outside of Japan and the US/Canada as witnessed by a lot of countries getting Ghibli localized product ahead of the North American market.

(And Ghibli films have been dubbed into English outside of the US. The Secret of Arriety was dubbed by a British company in English for that market. It's not the first or last Ghibli feature with more than one English dub in existence. Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro also have at least two existing English dubs.)

The last few Ghibli feature films aside from Miyazaki's The Wind Rises were NOT licensed by Disney for US distribution (Marnie, Poppy Hill, Princess Kaguya). Those films were all licensed by GKids for the US in addition to Only Yesterday (licensed but not released by Disney in the US; it was shown on TCM over 10 years ago subtitled and exhibited at many film festivals and on the art theater circuit) and Ocean Waves, another unlicensed-for-the-US by Disney release.

The final Ghibli film yet to be released in the US on Blu ray (aside from the Ghibli Museum-only shorts and a music video) is My Neighbors the Yamadas which was released on DVD by Disney. That film I'm fairly certain has been released on Blu ray in Japan and probably elsewhere but Disney is dragging its feet on this one just like it did Only Yesterday. I would expect Yamadas to be sub-licensed from Disney in the future like Only Yesterday was if some company (most likely GKids) thinks they can sell it...

Ocean Waves was NOT dubbed simply because GKids didn't think the sales would pay for an English dub (and that was probably the correct call). I don't know how well Only Yesterday has done for them and they did commission a dub for that film and all their other Ghibli theater-marketed, later home video-released Ghibli licenses.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh I'm aware of all that, I was just curious. Disney seemed to jump on the fantasy-oriented Ghibli product, but I figured the reason they passed on the others was because they were down to earth, slice-of-life.

But given the relationship between Laseter and Miyazaki, I wouldn't be surprised if they join up to translate his latest movie into English, even if they might not do this one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
With it opening up in that many places, it's probably just a matter of weeks before it gets a limited US premiere.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
I doubt it....Funimation might well just dub the movie instead.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

The Japanese announcement specifically says the English dub will use "big-name actors." Random, non-unionized people from Texas are only notable to anime fans. The only companies who routinely releases anime with well known actors are Disney and GKids.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
But will it release with JapDub as RAW? Dubs suck, officials Subs suck,too. (VOB is cancer, PGS is,too. Yellow is cancer and their localizations suck.) RAW, I would care for.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
But will it release with JapDub as RAW? Dubs suck, officials Subs suck,too. (VOB is cancer, PGS is,too. Yellow is cancer and their localizations suck.) RAW, I would care for.

Whether or not you want to sound like a caricature, you sure come off as one. Since dubs are bad and official subs are bad, I'm sure you can find another way that conveniently doesn't require you to spend any money at all.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'd appreciate it if ANN could try to find out who the distributors are in countries in addition the USA. (I still don't know who has the screening rights for "In This Corner of the World" for Australia, since it's not Madman, who are quite forthright about providing such information).
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
0nsen wrote:

Whether or not you want to sound like a caricature, you sure come off as one. Since dubs are bad and official subs are bad, I'm sure you can find another way that conveniently doesn't require you to spend any money at all.

Yeah, sorry, but the argument that dubs suck isn't true anymore. It was back the 80's and early 90s, but those days are over.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
U.K.-based company Altitude Film Sales announced in February that it has acquired the worldwide rights to the film.

Anime Limited must be crestfallen by being beaten to the punch with this one. Luckily there are plenty of other theatrical exclusives for Andrew et al to claim to their name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

The Japanese announcement specifically says the English dub will use "big-name actors." Random, non-unionized people from Texas are only notable to anime fans. The only companies who routinely releases anime with well known actors are Disney and GKids.

Yeah I definitely doubt it at all...Might be Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1