• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's your name. Anime Film Tops 25 Billion Yen in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mega Shinkai! It finally reached 25 billion yen. It could definitely surpass Frozen if it stays in theaters for the remaining of the year.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
While it has not yet beat the "Spirited Away" box office record in Japan, at least it is currently the global box office champ for a Japanese anime.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see the next Oricon rankings for BD/DVD sales since the movie comes out on home release tomorrow. It should be waiting for me when I get home.
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
It's still in theaters in Japan? God damn, the only other time I can think of where a movie was still running in theaters by the time its home released rolled around was the first Avengers.

And as stated above it comes out tomorrow on Bluray.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Mega Shinkai! It finally reached 25 billion yen. It could definitely surpass Frozen if it stays in theaters for the remaining of the year.

It should surpass it, since Frozen is overrated tripe anyway.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I had the opportunity to see this film a few months back in Toronto... it was enjoyable and certainly featured high quality animation and background art as per usual with Shinkai's work. That said, the "greatness" of this film has been blown out of proportion in my opinion. Your name wasn't half as good as a Miyazaki film (ok that is perhaps an unfair comparison)... it was not even half as good as a Hosoda film and most of Ghibli's lesser known output. Even compared to Shinkai's own work, I enjoyed 5cm per second and Garden of Words FAR more. I will say without hesitation that Your Name is a better film than The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Children Who Chase Lost Voices and showed a different, humorous side, that we do not tend to see with Shinkai's other work. What really brings it down is disastrous pacing and bloated plotting. All that aside, it is a must watch film despite its flaws. Just keep your expectations in check or else you might be left disappointed.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
DMCMaster wrote:
It's still in theaters in Japan?

Wow, apparently it is!

Just checked the official website and it's still currently playing at three theaters (in the entire country, mind you), one each in Tokyo, Kanagawa, and Chiba. The Tokyo and Chiba theaters end their run on the 28th (this Friday), but starting August 12, it will open at another theater in Tokyo. I think at that point everyone would have either, bought, rented, or pirated the movie though. ^^;;;

Rewatched the movie on BD yesterday and also skimmed through most of the extras. There's some footage from the AX premier. I'm surprised how good Shinkai's English is. I wonder if that was pre-rehearsed or if he has some grasp of the language.

My favorite bonus was the making of documentary video, particularly the parts that talked about the music since I really liked RADWIMPS' songs from the movie.
Zimba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Deserving.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
As expected, Kimi no Na wa. is dominating the daily Oricon rankings. Unfortunately we won't get any approximate sales numbers until the weekly rankings come out, and I'm sure it's a given that it will be the top release on that chart too.

BD daily - http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/bd/d/2017-07-25/
DVD daily - http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/dg/d/2017-07-25/
DVD anime daily - http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/da/d/2017-07-25/
(BD anime charts are weekly only)

My bonus film bookmark is of Mitsuha when she meets Taki on the mountain. Checking Yahoo! Auctions, it's selling in the $30-40 range. Lucky me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1