• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Secret of Mana Game Gets Remake for PS4, PS Vita, Steam in February 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
That's effing awesome! I have played the original countless times on my old SNES. Maybe I should replay if before the remake is released.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Quite an interesting choice for a remake, and now the heroes will have voices for the first time ever.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Whoa! Seriously?! I literally JUST got this game off the Wii Virtual Console via the Wii U mere days ago! Still, this is awesome! I actually have Steam and my computer's finally able to play 3D games without lagging or slowness, so I'm getting it the day it comes out!

Oh, I just realized something! I remember reading that Secret of Mana was originally going to be made for the SNES CD add-on, but when that deal fell through, Square was forced to cut 40% of the game's story out in order to fit it into the SNES cartridge. Since the PS4 and Vita have MUCH more space and capabilities, I wonder if Square will use this opportunity to tell the 40% of the story that they weren't able to tell way back when? This could be massively awesome!

I have the original game to tide me over until the remake comes out, so I can play the rest of that in the mean time. I do think Randi's voice is a bit too low pitched, but maybe it'll grow on me when I play the remake. Also, PLEASE ADD AN OVERWORLD MAP AND MORE CLEAR DIRECTIONS ON HOW THE PLOT PROGRESSES!
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm stoked for the remake of one of my all time favorite games, but that art style just looks terrible.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
I'm stoked for the remake of one of my all time favorite games, but that art style just looks terrible.

Really? I think it looks pretty good. I've seen far, FAR worse.
CooperRC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sounds awful. I prefer the 2D graphics not a new version with butchered 3D graphics. I just remember that terrible Mana game on the PS2....
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:

Really? I think it looks pretty good. I've seen far, FAR worse.

It looks like a smart phone game that's been upscaled. Doesn't even look close to being worth $40, they're out of their minds. I'll wait for it to come down to $20. I have an SNES cart and a working SNES so I don't really need this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know how I feel about this. The original is a classic that will never be forgotten. I just hope there's an option to change voices to Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1