• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Light Novel Recommendations for Middle School students

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a long time anime fan, with countless series, movies, and ovas/specials watched under my belt. I have also read quite a few manga. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with light novels. I know they exist, but I have little experience with them.

Long story short, I am now a reading teacher, and I want to include light novels and manga to the classroom's library. Light novels seem far and in-between for availability, mainly because they have not really been available here in the United States. So, I'm asking for recommendations that would be age appropriate for 7th and 8th grade students in a middle school setting. On top of that it must be in English, as not too many, if any, students know how to read Japanese.

Please post any recommendations that you have. Please include how many volumes and if it is a completed series in English or not.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I would suggest two of YenOn's early novel series, Kieli (9 volumes) and Book Girl (7 volumes). (I may be remembering the numbers incorrectly...) The former is a dark sci-fi/fantasy hybrid with a dystopian vibe and strong writing, while the latter uses references from classic novels as the basis for its mysteries.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Long story short, I am now a reading teacher, and I want to include light novels and manga to the classroom's library.

I work in a Japanese junior high/high school. There's a notice posted on the wall of our library soliciting requests from students about what books to purchase. At the end of this notice, it says: "Light novels will not be considered."
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
All Yen Press titles have an age range assigned (on the Yen Press site it says things like "Teen" and "Older Teen" but on the business portal it gives it as "13 & up" and also provides a "grade range". Unfortunately, you can't filter the search by age and it only shows it on the details page, not in the search results. I don't know how accurate their ratings are (and I don't think I've ever seen any variation in rating between volumes of a title so they must be applied somewhat broadly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
The Devil is a Part Timer would probably be quite good. It's not too raunchy and the story is the sort of thing middle school kids would enjoy. There's currently 7 volumes out in English and it's ongoing. The manga is also available but I've not read that.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The School Library Journal has recommended The Devil is a Part-Timer, Durarara!!, Log Horizon, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya all for grades 7 and up.

The Attack on Titan light novels might be a harder sell due to the level of violence, but were recommended for grades 8 and up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
There's only 2 volumes of it out right now, but i think Rokka: Braves of the 6 Flowers would be a good fit (at least, i would have loved reading them in middle school). No raunchy content, very gender-balanced cast, and just a solid series so far.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Deleted a necropost that only quoted the first post. Locking thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1