• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold's Macross, Mospeada, Southern Cross Licenses Still Expire in 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
*rocks back and forth* Just four more years....just four more years..... Crying or Very sad
sdsichero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well that friggin' sucks. "Exploit" does seem an appropriate word.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
So HG's stranglehold on Macross ends in 2021?

*Dances in the street*

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Discotek has that marked on something as the year they get the rights to the Macross Do you Remember Love? movie, probably not though, because they probably still wouldn't be able to get it.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
4 more years.

Then we're gonna get an honest-to-God Macross movie.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This explains the jump to do a live action Robotech, the time is literally running out for HG.

As for those with hopes of Macross being released in the US, likely have a better chance holding your breath short of a new Macross media release for the time be it Video game or new Anime series.

At best US might see legalized streaming post expiration which might be enough to scratch the itch of long time fans.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

*Dances in the street*

IF Tatsunoko doesn't give it back to them.

Key thing here.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A California court in June upheld a license agreement between Harmony Gold U.S.A. Inc. and Tatsunoko Production,

if I'm reading this correctly, June 28 was the date of the Arbitration Award. The court (the U.S. federal court for the Central District of California) upheld/confirmed it on August 27.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Will we be able to see Macross Frontier and Macross Delta in 2021 or is there still some way for Harmony Gold to prevent those shows from getting released?

Lynx Amali wrote:

Key thing here.
Why would they do that when Tatsunoko would likely make a lot more money by selling their licensing rights to Amazon, Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Netflix?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

*Dances in the street*

Key thing here.

True.

Well if I was Tatsunoko I would not sell the rights to someone I'd battled in court on multiple occasions, I'd sell it to someone else just out of spite, but I suppose it could happen if HG was the highest bidder and all Tatsunoko cared about was money.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Why would they do that when Tatsunoko would likely make a lot more money by selling their licensing rights to Amazon, Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Netflix?

Would they though? Funimation couldn't even do a new dub for Escaflowne, in house at that, without the aid of Kickstarter.

As for your question, different company. Tatsunoko only has distribution rights for SDF, Mospeda and Southern Cross.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
All this seems to confirm is that Tatsunoko holds the licensing rights (not Big West) and they've renewed them twice in the past. And Harmony Gold could squat on Macross trademarks for some time, as a bargaining chip to get them to relicense. (Since they couldn't license to someone else, without renaming it or paying Harmony Gold off.

The light at the end of the tunnel seems as far away as ever.

Best case scenario is Tatsunoko finally say no. And waits out the Trademark expiration. But knowing Harmony Gold they'll likely get an extension while they're still working out their options. So we could still be 10 years away minimum of anyone releasing Macross anything in North America.

Chrono1000 wrote:

Why would they do it the first two times they did it? They clearly saw more value i continuing with Harmony Gold then someone else. Mostly likely because while the Macross rights are valuable. They're less valuable if Big West gets control on the Macross trademarks in North America. Because that means playing ball with Big West, and clearly Tatsunoko has their reasons for not doing that.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
HERE WE GO COME ON DISCOTEK, RIGHTSTUF, OR SENTAI SUBBED BLURAY RELEASES FOR MACROSS FRONTIER AND EVERYTHING THAT MADE UP ROBOTECH 2K21!

Or just streaming only on Crunchyroll is fine. I know the original series that made up Robotech is on Amazon, but the subs are so awful its not worth 99 cents or getting Prime for.

I'm just so happy I've been wanting to own the original franchise physically and I feel a glimmer of hope at the end of this long dark tunnel. With Harmony Gold's license expiring won't that mean there is nothing holding Crunchyroll or other companies back from getting their hands on this beautiful franchise?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I think too many people are prematurely celebrating Harmony Gold's supposed loss of Macross. There's still that chance of Tatsunoko working on some sort of deal with HG to keep Macross in their possession [and ensuring that the show never debuts in America for another six or so years]...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder if there's any way Harmony Gold could sublicense Macross now, before their rights expire, if they determine that would net them more money than continuing to try to exploit Macross-as-Robotech for four more years. In other words, is the money they're making off the new comic book license more than they could get from Funimation (or whomever) for a short-lived sublicense to finally release this stuff on Blu-Ray? And would Funimation, in this scenario, find it worth their while to license something for such a short time?

HG can still use the Robotech name in perpetuity, so the movie (if it ever happens), could just use that name and have nothing to do with Macross / Southern Cross / Mospaeda, but just be in the spirit of them (ie, have mechs and love triangles). "'Robotech' In Name Only", if you will. Given how little the HG-based sequels have had to do with the source material, that may well have been the plan for the movie already.

But, sorry, this is all just idle hypothesizing. IANAL, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6