• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime Home Video Commercial Sales Fall 16.6% in 1st Half of 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Going to be interesting to see how well this "Semester"(?) does seeing as "Your Name" had it's video release as well as some other hard hitters ( A Silent voice and Granblue Fantasy the Animation (which has done exceptionally well for first season of an other wise unknown title in the anime market)).

Going to be interesting to see how the result are skewed/affected by "Your Name" dvd and BD. I mean just the 3 different BD releases have sold over half a million (500,000) copies. Fair to say, if you count units moved (BD and DVD, I'm sure there is over 1 million units sold).

Also, the graph paints a grim picture for the anime market, but the reality is that there is a shift in where the money comes from nowadays. More money is coming from online streams and we have big interest companies getting into the business (Amazon, Netflix, China becoming proactive, etc) and pouring money into the market. So, the market is in a pretty is recovering from the crash still but in much better shape they it was 5 years ago, opposite as that graph would lead you to believe.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
Makes me wonder if this also accounts for North America or just Japan. Because seems consumer trust in companies like Funimation has dropped significantly due to controversy after controversy. And of course doesn't help with there being not so many interesting titles being released in the last couple of seasons.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder what people will do when anime dies.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

Long live Bollyime!
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

There was anime before anime companies discover that some fans were willing to spend lots of money in anime BD/DVD. And there will be anime after BD/DVD sales will so few it will be unprofitable to make lots of them.

Only that nowadays the best distribution/sales way is Digital. BD will be only high end products for hardcore anime collectors.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Makes me wonder if this also accounts for North America or just Japan.

Just Japan, as should be made clear by the beginning of the second paragraph of the article.

I'm curious what a graph of streaming revenue (within Japan) would show for the same period.

It isn't as if Japan is unique in the shrinkage of home video sales:
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-home-video-decline-20170106-story.html
Wahappen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Well it was rather obvious since ANN often post those disastrous and shocking sales- numbers for Bluray and DVD sales every week(tragedy of AOT 2 lel), remove Your Name and the graph might drop down to the core of the Earth.
I guess fandoms are now more dedicated to pay for live events, merchandises and games instead of purchasing bluray/dvds.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
More money is coming from online streams and we have big interest companies getting into the business (Amazon, Netflix, China becoming proactive, etc) and pouring money into the market.

Actually the big player is China. From the 2016 report by the Association of Japanese Animators:
Quote:
The export values which remained hardly changed for past three years suddenly increased, jumping from 19.5 billion yen to 34.9 billion yen, and recorded the highest, exceeding 31.3 billion yen in 2005. The major factor of this increase is attributed to “shopping sprees” by China. Despite revenue increases in North America and Asia countries, the remarkable increase in Chinese market constitutes more than half of the increase.

Unfortunately the report doesn't break out the source of revenues from overseas, so we don't know how much of that increase is due to streaming. In particular I have no idea how the Chinese consume anime, though I'd bet little of it comes from disc sales.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

I really have fought that the foregeiners will replace Japanese staff at somepoint.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
dark13 wrote:

I really have fought that the foregeiners will replace Japanese staff at somepoint.

If the Visa plan takes off or is reformed better, I can see that happening, also maybe it's time that anime goes completely digital as well for distribution but still keeping TV broadcasts.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
With the age of streaming official streaming services, do you think that is a big factor or small yet significant factor?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

That's pretty hyperbolic. The core of the matter is video sales are just one aspect of revenue. The most popular anime in Japan generally don't have strong video sales, or have any home releases at all. They rely on ratings, merchandise, and source materials sales.
Instead of 120 shows a season we might start seeing 100, but Anime as a whole is going to be fine.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
It's a noticeable drop, but I think the anime industry is still safe...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With the age of streaming official streaming services, do you think that is a big factor or small yet significant factor?

No. Japan is at least two years behind the West in adopting new home-theater format, and streaming/Netflix is literally just now being experimented with over there.
They were two years behind the '99-'00 explosion of DVD in the US, and Blu-ray also had a slower, struggling rise to popularity over there even after we were fighting our frustrating Format Wars over here.

Again--think it was mentioned the last time we tried to paint "Declining anime disk sales in Japan" with some kind of context-free worldwide brush--Japan is just not a home-theater buying country.
Sony hardware is still the best if you want to watch a good-looking TV screen, but like most European countries, they're just not into stocking their shelves with the software: The obvious mainstream social stigma against filling your apartment with shelves of anime means that only a "hidden" niche are going to be buying anime TV series sets at all--
To be a big mainstream seller, everyone has to be buying particular titles, and most mainstream Japanese, if they buy at all, will see less "wrong" about buying a hit feature-movie title like Your Name or Frozen, that everybody went to see, than a popular anime series that people will judge you for watching or wanting to rewatch.

Also, the factor that VHS was originally a rental-only format when home-theater first arrived in Japan, tied up by the rental-shop industry: VHS tapes were prohibitively expensive, those who did buy bought laserdisc, and the laser industry had its respectable underground market there for twenty years before DVD came along...And even then, they didn't see why they should give up laser.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's a big and significant factor. Digital availability is so much better in Japan than it ever has been. Obviously more people are starting to take advantage of it. This should definitely not be seen as some kind of death sentence for anime, or even a bad sign at all. The market is simply transitioning. I'm glad that some people are starting to catch on here finally. Video sales are an overall surprisingly small source of income for the majority of anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2