• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kemono Friends Site: Anime Studio Yaoyorozu Pulled Out Due to Communication Issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I had an inkling they had a few too many/more than usual tie-in shorts. Could it be their manner of making these was going around the system the company wanted?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another fine mess. "Communication Issues"? It kind of reads like the studio and the production company were not on the same page as to what was allowed as far as use of the characters / property.

So, it boils down to a Fired vs Quit spat. In the end it just means that any sequel to the show will be a lot longer in coming and will likely not live up to what the fans ( You know, those people that pay to stream, buy disks and show goods. Yea, them. ) had hoped for.

Mark Gosdin
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't even imagine any other studio and staff agreeing to take up Kemono Friends even if it's done by experienced peeps.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, things just keep getting worse and worse for Kemono Friends. At this rate, it will be reaching Konami-Kojima levels of controversy. I am starting to think this series is coming to an end. Sad
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
When it rains it pours and this basically means that Kadokawa has fired the entire studio.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Well, things just keep getting worse and worse for Kemono Friends. At this rate, it will be reaching Konami-Kojima levels of controversy. I am starting to think this series is coming to an end. Sad

Kadokawa is shooting themselves in the foot, yes. But this should be a golden opportunity for any other studio to offer an interesting enough project to TATSUKI/Yaoyorozu to work on.
He might only have Kemono Friends to show on his resume, but then again, it is Kemono Friends...
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
So... If I got this article correctly, Kadokawa got angry because studio made shorts without their permission. While I understand it from the legal point of view, they really don't make the case better for themselves here and pretty much killing franchise.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
So... If I got this article correctly, Kadokawa got angry because studio made shorts without their permission. While I understand it from the legal point of view, they really don't make the case better for themselves here and pretty much killing franchise.

I'm assuming that goes for the tie-in shorts as well, like the zoo and ramen ads.

If my Google Translate is working, that would account for:
Quote:
However, there are works that Yaoyorozu, the studio that handled production, used without contacting or sharing information through the appropriate channels. In order to keep the next project going, we proposed to normalize sharing information in advance, but Yaoyorozu could not accept these conditions and declined.

While:
Quote:
Regarding Kemono Friends, we already had the privilege of announcing a new screen project, but since then, we have been considering whether to keep using the same production system or implement a new system for a new depiction.

would pretty much confirm the "New better CGI system" as one reason for Tatsuki's shakeup.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuki took Kemono Friends as his pet project and Kadokawa let him do that during first season as it was dead franchise anyway. Now when it is super popular Kadokawa do mind which should not come as surprise to anybody working in the industry. Don't fight with rights owner, you only lose.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This whole situation is confusing, it's seemingly tied up in miscommunications, misinterpretations of policies and permissions and more.

There's defiantly multiple layers of a story to dissect here and odds are it will never be as simple and clean cut of an answer as people would like, that's the way things work sometimes though, things get messed up through no malcontent just because of mistakes from multiple people across varying levels.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
The conclusion that most people are drawing from this is that because Yaoyorozu used the property without permission (ie probably with episode 12.1) Kadokawa pulled the rug from under them. But that doesn't seem to be quite what Kadokawa is claiming happened...?

Quote:
In order to keep the next project going, we proposed to normalize sharing information in advance, but Yaoyorozu could not accept these conditions and declined.

In plain words, that sound to me like:
Yaoyorozu used the property without proper permissions, Kadokawa gave them a slap on the wrist and said, "you know, if you're going to work on S2, you can't just go making spin offs willy-nilly", and Yaoyorozu responded, "Nah we're gonna do our own thing whether you like it or not"

...Which seems pretty doubtful, because while Yaoyorozu is a very young studio, it's hard to imagine anyone being stupid enough to blow such a huge deal with an unreasonable request like "we get to do whatever we want without anyone's permission". I mean, I guess it's possible... but then you'd think that Tatsuki himself would have heard something about it. Especially since they supposedly "resigned" almost two months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
At this point, the best case scenario would be that season 2 never gets made, and people happily remember the good old days of season 1.

What I find funny is that this is coincidentally occurring while the Japanese Prime Minister is executing some political power plays that could lead to war. A funny coincidence if it is one. If it is not, then that would be mad genius.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
(ie probably with episode 12.1)

And the horse racing short, and the Udon short that just aired a week or so ago. There was also when the characters appeared during....Animelo? I think? I'd have to check up. They have been getting around quite a lot, and that might be what upset management.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't get all this legalese Confused Can someone translate that statement into plain English?

Anyways, if Yaoyorozu are the peeps who made KF season 1, and Kadokawa are the peeps who own the KF name, and they're not working together anymore, then that basically means there'll be no more KF. The best Kadokawa could produce without Yaoyorozu wouldn't really be the KF we all love, and the best Yaoyorozu could produce without Kadokawa wouldn't be allowed to use the KF name. Right?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Were those weird horse-racing etc. things done by Yaoyorozu without permission from Kadokawa? It sounds more like something that Kadokawa would force them to make without Yaoyorozu wanting to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3