• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film's Trailer Previews Theme Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm super tired of talking about the yellow washing issue, so I will just say one thing or two about the trailer itself. I didn't expect Warner Bros to put the Tucker's chimera on the trailer. Regarding the theme song, it's seems to be too much hopeful and lightly...a darker song would be more fitting.

By the way, Alexander looks fluffy! Thank god, they went to get a real Pyrenean Mountain Dog!

Last edited by jppcouto on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Another reverse-whitewashed live-action adaptation of Western-style fantasy genre anime and manga that is such for a reason? Who asked for this, more casual Japanese female fans?

As if SnK wasn't bad enough, where the only actual Japanese character was played by a Korean. Still, I give Toho the benefit of the doubt because they're historically a traditional theatre company, whereas race and even gender isn't much of an issue over acting. Conversely, Google the British opera, The Mikado.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't care what anyone says--this is looking more and more awesome, and the song sounds nice as well! Please have it be licensed so I can see this!
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Don't care what anyone says--this is looking more and more awesome, and the song sounds nice as well! Please have it be licensed so I can see this!

Same dude same. It looks awesome! Don't care what these butthurt weebs say about the race. Still gonna watch it anyways. I hope Funimation/Animplex license it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The production values on this continue to impress me and I'm hoping for the best with this adaptation. FMA remains one of my all-time favorite series.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Same dude same. It looks awesome! Don't care what these butthurt weebs say about the race. Still gonna watch it anyways. I hope Funimation/Animplex license it.

If you're referring to me, I'm simply reflecting on a bizarre paradigm. Also, weaboos would be the first to complain if they used a Western cast, despite the characters being implicitly white, and call Western works with Western actors portraying Easterners as racist and cultural appropriation.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I understand why people are upset, but I'll wait to judge if it really sucks by watching it if it comes over here.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
not used to Al actually sounding like a boy

also that cgi chimera is gonna mess people up
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
If you're referring to me, I'm simply reflecting on a bizarre paradigm. Also, weaboos would be the first to complain if they used a Western cast, despite the characters being implicitly white, and call Western works with Western actors portraying Easterners as racist and cultural appropriation.

What I'm about to say is the same general thing I say everywhere when commenting on this movie, but apparently it keeps bearing repeating and I don't know how else to explain why this movie's casting doesn't bother me.

This movie is produced in Japan, which is a homogenous country, meaning all the cast and crew they would have on hand are people of the same race (and can speak the same language as each other). Thus Japan has a valid excuse, while Hollywood is based in a racially/culturally diverse country but does not always use that diversity when it really counts for whatever excuse they try pulling.

It really doesn't bother me to see Ed and Winry and the others having eastern faces because this takes place in a fantasy world to begin with, and for this movie version it's apparently a combination of east and west. As long as the actors are able to bring the characters to life in their own way, and the movie itself looks as fun as the trailer, I'm not going to complain, or at least won't criticize anything until I see it for myself!
sonryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This looks good. Could be right up there with the Rurouni Kenshin live action films (my fave manga/anime adaptations).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
The production values on this continue to impress me and I'm hoping for the best with this adaptation. FMA remains one of my all-time favorite series.

Yup, hope this ends up pretty good as some more FMA content since I loved the anime so much.

This Misako looks pretty nice as Hawkeye.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
What I'm about to say is the same general thing I say everywhere when commenting on this movie, but apparently it keeps bearing repeating and I don't know how else to explain why this movie's casting doesn't bother me.

This movie is produced in Japan, which is a homogenous country, meaning all the cast and crew they would have on hand are people of the same race (and can speak the same language as each other). Thus Japan has a valid excuse, while Hollywood is based in a racially/culturally diverse country but does not always use that diversity when it really counts for whatever excuse they try pulling.

It really doesn't bother me to see Ed and Winry and the others having eastern faces because this takes place in a fantasy world to begin with, and for this movie version it's apparently a combination of east and west. As long as the actors are able to bring the characters to life in their own way, and the movie itself looks as fun as the trailer, I'm not going to complain, or at least won't criticize anything until I see it for myself!

Except we live in a globalized society where such barriers shouldn't be an issue, and Hollywood is considered the epitome of globalization. Besides, my point wasn't why the cast isn't white, rather what's the point in making the movie? Use the resources to produce something more effective for the franchise. I assume it's mainly for the actors acting, rather than accuracy to the source material.

Also, Japan's homogeneity is a myth. While all East Asian, the "Japanese" are very ethnically and culturally diverse, especially when you get into issues about the Ainu and Ryukyuan people, and considering the Yamato people stem from the Jomon and foreign Yayoi people. Yet, the false homogeneity logic never seemed to be applied to the West, and if it was true, is also reflected consistently in Hollywood before all this political correctness and virtue signaling crap existed.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except we live in a globalized society where such barriers shouldn't be an issue, and Hollywood is considered the epitome of globalization .

Except Hollywood doesn't always use that globalization, is what I've said. When it comes to movies they expect to be blockbusters, they still consciously choose white actors to play the main heroes, because it's apparently too much of a gamble otherwise (unless a non-white actor has garnered prior fame). If you're saying "why doesn't Japan work with Hollywood on this?", my best guess is that there would be conflict/creative differences since Hollywood and Japan have their own ways in how movies should be made, and director Sori had his own ideas on how this movie should be (I would guess, since he's condensing the core story to one single film).
Quote:
Besides, my point wasn't why the cast isn't white, rather what's the point in making the movie?

Aside from the obvious commercial reasons, because Sori wanted to make it. He has been nothing but passionate about it and expressing his love for the source material. It's merely one filmmaker's interpretation, what's so wrong with that?
Quote:
Also, Japan's homogeneity is a myth.

However many cultures there are that make up Japan you can name, my point is that they are all still Eastern/Asian people and makes no difference to the casual western viewer that watch these movies.

You're clearly not excited for this movie, but some of us still are. Like I said, withholding any critcisms until I see it for myself!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1