• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Fall 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sweet, everything I cared about got in.

If only there were more things I cared about.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
A Sister's All You need goy picked up neat the reviews should be an interesting read
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Awwwww YISSS, dies irae and king's game got in (surprised James Beckett didn't get that one), but I was really hoping for EVIL or LIVE to make it trough. Ah well
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Nick Creamer got Just Because! because his preview was very much in line with my own opinion and there's nothing I enjoy more than having my own thoughts validated. Wink It's no surprise he also got March Comes in Like a Lion 2 considering he did the first season. *sigh* Nick's great with the serious aspects of March but it will be painful listening to him kvetch every single time the show trots out its comedic elements. Especially his tripe about how some techniques "objectively" don't work when transferred from the manga medium to anime.

I'm not familiar with Anne Lauenroth as a reviewer, but I'll be curious about her handling of The Ancient Magus' Bride. The show is already revealing some differences among posters with respect to Harvey Weinstein--, oops, I mean the Magus's role in the story.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Awwwww YISSS, dies irae and king's game got in (surprised James Beckett didn't get that one), but I was really hoping for EVIL or LIVE to make it trough. Ah well

To be honest, I don't think EVIL OR LIVE would have even made for a good hate-watch series to cover. The season may prove me wrong, but I get the feeling that EOL's faults, as excessive as they are, will remain fairly simplistic and repetitive. It looks ugly and is written pretty terribly, in a plain and general sort of way. What made shows like Hand Shakers and Big Order fun to write about (and read, I would hope!) is how they somehow managed to find completely new and diverse ways to fail on a week to week basis.

Blood- wrote:

I'm not familiar with Anne Lauenroth as a reviewer, but I'll be curious about her handling of The Ancient Magus' Bride. The show is already revealing some differences among posters with respect to Harvey Weinstein--, oops, I mean the Magus's role in the story.

While I get the joke, I do think the comparison of Elias to a serial predator is a bit overboard, in general. His mannerisms and behavior speak to a genuine naivety, at least in that first episode, that make his treatment of Chise come across as unfortunate, but not salacious or malicious. I have hopes that the series will address that aspect of their relationship eventually.

Last edited by James_Beckett on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What made shows like Hand Shakers and Big Order fun to write about (and read, I would hope!) is how they somehow managed to find completely new and diverse ways to fail on a week to week basis.
Oh they where really fun to read. You don't need to worry about that James.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Glad to see black Clover got picked up, I think it'll improve so it'll be interesting to see, plus Sam's reviewing it and he tends to get Shounen and their pacing and cliches so he should be a good perspective

The only one I voted for that didn't make it was ShoBitch which is kinda unfortunate I guess, I understand why it I think it would have been an interesting watch, hopefully we get an end of season wrap up on it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Heh, it looks like Sam Leach will be getting one more Weekly Shonen Jump adaptation with a hot-blooded protagonist. That's his theme, is it?

So EVIL OR LIVE is such a boring, derivative show that it's not even in so-bad-it's-good territory? Somehow, I'm not the least bit surprised by it. When I saw Theron Martin's review begin with, "The Chinese co-productions that have popped up over the last few seasons have garnered a bad but deserved reputation for poor production values, weak storytelling, and ill-executed knock-offs of standard anime tropes," I thought to myself that it sounds like just about anything else that's made in China. I mean we do have the phrase "shoddy Chinese knockoff," after all.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Too bad about Altair's adaptation... I agree that the anime is pretty lackluster, which is a shame since the source material is generally pretty interesting. Maybe it's just easier to read quickly and not think about, since I don't think the adaptation took any liberties with the material at all... /shrug.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Cool! All the shows I'm interested in are being reviewed.
James Beckett has 3 of them
Theron Martin has 2 (They're both Anime Strike shows though, so I won't be watching them anytime soon.)
Rebecca Silverman has 0
Chris Farris has 0
Sam Leach has 0
Gabriella Ekens has 2, possibly 3
Lauren Orsini has 2
Nick Creamer has 0
Paul Jensen has 1
Anne Lauenroth has 1
Amy McNulty has 0
and Bamboo Dong has 0. (I'm so behind on Love Live!! I'll catch up eventually Laughing)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
@ James_Beckett: just so I'm clear, I do not consider Elias to be a Weinsteinian figure. I simply couldn't resist topically riffing on how some posters are reacting to him. By the way, I'll be keeping a close eye on how YOU treat my beloved Himouto. I know you weren't her biggest fan in the first season but you seem to be coming around, thankfully. I won't have anybody dissing my favourite brat. Wink
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad that Nick Creamer got Just Because! because his preview was very much in line with my own opinion and there's nothing I enjoy more than having my own thoughts validated.

Indeed, indeed. Just Because! is slowly gathering a lot of steam and buzz out in the wider community. And Nick was the only First Impressions reviewer that seemed to 'get' the show.

James_Beckett wrote:
\What made shows like Hand Shakers and Big Order fun to write about (and read, I would hope!) is how they somehow managed to find completely new and diverse ways to fail on a week to week basis

Oh yes! One of the best parts of my week was watching you come up with new and creative ways to say Oh, Christ! What were they thinking? each week. There were a couple of really awful shows I stuck with just so I could follow your reviews. The community does appreciate you throwing yourself on those grenades.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
everything i voted for got in. first time that has happen
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I voted for A Sister's All You Need, and I am glad it was picked up. It could end up being total incest fetish crap, but the first episode showed glimpses that it could be a decent drama, and it might also have something interesting and smart to say about the much maligned imouto genre.

As usual all the important stuff got picked up and 2-3 crappy-looking shows like Dies irae somehow made it in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Would've preferred Wake Up Girls over Love Live, but overall this is a good schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4