• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thor: Ragnarok Writer Reveals Live-Action Ga-Rei TV Series Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
What
I mean, this is just going to end like the Noir adaptation by Sam Raimi or the Monster one by del Toro but still...
What? Why? Why Ga-Rei of all things?
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, could work. He sounds pretty respectful to the media so hopefully he won't make any dodgy casting choices.
I've only seen episode 1 of Ga-Rei:Zero but it would be sweet in live action, with that motorbike fighting. Don't know if Ga-Rei has scenes like that or not.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Well this came straight the hell out of left field.

Then again Thor Ragnarok sounds like a riot so cautious optimism.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, this might be the last news headline I was ever expecting to hear. I loved the prequel anime and thought the manga was at least half way decent. I'm truly shocked to hear about the potential for a live action TV series. Especially an American one at that. I would love for the series to get more attention (and maybe an anime for the original manga), but not if it ends up being terrible.

Of course, I have my doubts this even gets off the ground. The way anime projects get stuck in development hell makes me wonder if this will even happen. (Live action HBO Monster series when? Please still happen. Del Toro? Please?)
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Ga Rei is a special one for me, being one of my first manga and anime, so in looking forward to this. Hopefully the CGI isn't too conservative.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
This may have competent hands working on it, but it's an American adaptation of an anime, so I must hate it by principal without having seen it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it'll be out at the same time as del Toro's Mons...oh, someone already brought it up. Also, I don't remember hearing about the Raimi Noir adaptation. I'm not sure if I should be retroactively disappointed in something that never happened.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Has the potential to be the next Game of Thrones... from the guy who worked on Thor... only if it had a bigger budget than both, and a ton of luck. I love Ga Rei. Just re-watched Zero this month as part of my annual October horror/monster anime tradition. Loved much of the manga too. But it is not a series that imagine works well in live-action form, let alone TV series format. I applaud the vision and gumption, but I just can't see how the production could possibly work for this series.

I imagine part of the rationale is that there's no need to wait for the source material to wrap-up (it's been done for going on 5 years I think). It was never particularly a huge hit, so while it has some name recognition, it probably isn't as expensive as some other works of similar criteria might be. It's also very action oriented, so there's that hook for US audiences. But Ga-Rei proper gets into a lot of Japanese mysticism that a lot of audiences won't take to so readily. That part gets fleshed out in the middle stages of the manga, if memory serves, so perhaps he's hoping the action tides the audience over until then, and that it can be either compressed to a few episodes (perhaps even only part of one) or spread out so thinly it only gets touched on across several episodes.

There's also the issue of the enemies. Most are bestial, things that you can't just dress a person up for. Kagura fights with a chained-up serpentine, furry, "dragon" that devours its targets. Yomi fights with a Nue (chimera) that shoots out energy blasts. Even for a movie that would be a ton of CG work for one or two fight scenes. Zero has a bunch of these, and the manga proper even more. I just don't see the producers being able to foot that bill.

But, as with all of these live-action projects, I'll give it a chance to see what happens. An anime property getting the Game of Thrones treatment sounds superbly intriguing. I just don't know that this IP is the right fit. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni would work a lot easier since it could done up almost like American Horror Story, or even a crime procedural, though I imagine the licensing cost is still high on that one. It's not quite as action oriented, but it probably has just about enough to serve.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Hmm, could work. He sounds pretty respectful to the media so hopefully he won't make any dodgy casting choices.
I've only seen episode 1 of Ga-Rei:Zero but it would be sweet in live action, with that motorbike fighting. Don't know if Ga-Rei has scenes like that or not.

It doesn't really. Neither does the rest of Zero as that first episode is basically just a one off tangent.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
Craig Kyle can write and Ga-Rei is a whatever property but how the hell did his script to Thor 3 come together? That screenplay get´s an F from me! The actors and production values somewhat salvage that self parody but all the critic who buried let´s say Suicide Squad but raved about Thor 3 need to have trier brains checked. The Mouse Factory may have brainwashed them without them even knowing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luis.couto.56

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Incredible so many good things to be adapted and they gonna do this. Why not Bleach instead of this?
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
luis.couto.56 wrote:
Incredible so many good things to be adapted and they gonna do this. Why not Bleach instead of this?

Bleach has had a live action work from WB in the pipelines for ages though
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
.... but why Ga-Rei?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

vanilla Garei is not as good as garei zero at all, it's far more generic and dumb, this is one of those anime > manga cases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2