• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls' Last Tour (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote

Girls' Last Tour (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Slice of Life
Themes: post-apocalpytic

Plot Summary: Civilization is dead, but Chito and Yuuri are still alive. So they hop aboard their beloved Kettenkrad motorbike and aimlessly wander the ruins of the world they once knew. Day after hopeless day, they look for their next meal and fuel for their ride. But as long as the two are together, even an existence as bleak as theirs has a ray or two of sunshine in it, whether they're sucking down their fill of soup or hunting for machine parts to tinker with. For two girls in a world full of nothing, the experiences and feelings the two share give them something to live for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
A relaxing character study,whose slice of life setting is a post-post-apocalpytic world.

Going by comments on this and others sites,some viewers are expecting something rather different.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:
I've read the manga awhile ago and have been anticipating for this ever since it was announced.

Solid start with the setting and music (I think that's one of the more noticable parts for this anime). It takes a little time to accept the character visuals imo but was easy for me. We got an adventure of two girls journeying through a strange world. I love their character chemistry so far even from the first episode.

White Fox is doing a decent job so far with producing this.

I like it overall so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The anime original flashback scene(the implication they were present during the war) is a bit incongruous with the girl's dialogue.

But that nitpicking aside,first episode has proved to be worth the two year or so wait since the adaption was announced.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This indeed seems rather interesting, kind of like Sora No Woto, with Mitsudomoe like character designs, and what seems to be a focus on a minimalist cast. Wait, there are only two characters in the show?! I checked the page for show, and I am not even finding it a negative, I expect this will be something different. I did enjoy the tone so far.

One thing I am finding myself so far is trying to fit pieces together, at least hoping that indeed it is as thought through as I am taking it. For one, there is a huge amount of metal structures, that environment they started off in seems rather curious for what its purpose might be to be so large. They are finding remnants of battlefields, where weapons and the like are just left littered around, and yet there are no bodies. Were battlefields cleaned to bury or dispose of bodies, weapons being of such little significance to leave them untouched? Is there something else that would mean bodies disappearing with no interest in their equipment? Or has the art for this show just thought that showing bodies would conflict with the tone too much, and thus does not come up?

I say this from the point who watched a lot of theories on fiction, and also play quite a bit of Fallout, which has a clear comparison and its share of piecing together the past by what is left behind. For instance, within the plan towards the cockpit is a pistol with several spent shells on the floor around it, implying that someone had a final stand there. Bringing the question if it was part of the crew that crashed and shot at someone (or thing) that was a threat, or someone else went on the plane after the crash and also had such a conflict towards the cockpit. Yet strangely it looks like there is a lot of loot that was left there, from weapons, explosives, and rations, but why? Am I thinking about this too hard?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

The girls are the main focus,they meet/interact with scant few others.
The structures the girls are exploring all compose one vast,mega city-industrial complex.

Your questions about remains.I really got the impression from the story so far that quite a bit of time has passed since the war ended,but would guess the author choose to not portray the remains.

Weapons laying about willy-nilly perhaps is to give reader/viewers an idea of how all encompassing and vast the war was.

I would recommend taking to Twitter and asking the author,seems to be the type who enjoys speculating about their own creation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Sometimes it really takes something looking at a subject like this to appreciate concepts like homes and music, a how strange it would be to live in a life without them, and actually an almost foreign concept.

Weird questions though, like how can all the buildings be so empty. There is like barely any furniture, yet we saw a case where there is one, a bad was something they saw once. As well as trying to figure out the buildings. Why did there appear to be buildings on large metal poles? Perhaps to protect from flooding? Keeping things safe inside?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

Sometimes it really takes something looking at a subject like this to appreciate concepts like homes and music, a how strange it would be to live in a life without them, and actually an almost foreign concept.

Weird questions though, like how can all the buildings be so empty. There is like barely any furniture, yet we saw a case where there is one, a bad was something they saw once. As well as trying to figure out the buildings. Why did there appear to be buildings on large metal poles? Perhaps to protect from flooding? Keeping things safe inside?

I find the music thing very weird, as flashbacks indicate that they did have some form of home/family before things went south. I doubt that they just sat around in silence, some songs had to be passed down from the old world.

That said, I loved this episode. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
I find this show sort of boring but with just enough interest to keep me watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I am pretty sure that I have nightmares like the first part of this episode, walking dangerously on a pipe above a dark abyss. The reveal of that they could have walked inside the pipe also felt strangely relatable. I say it as someone who when realising how high up I might be I get physically dizzy. A fear of heights is not anything to just write off, some people think it is just a fear of falling, but that is not it.

But how many times does feel like times Yuu is specifically responsible for Chi put in a pretty dangerous situation, the grinder. Again I think I almost recall having a similar nightmare. How is this show both so relaxing, yet nightmare like? I liked how Yu's cookie of Chi was clearly based off of those weird statues that she kept saying Chi looks like.

Also, I don't think I have said it yet, but I really like the OP to this show, I especially get some sort of joy out of seeing the dancing rations, like they are applicable characters in the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

More height which would scare the bejeebers out of me.
I wonder if there was a bit of a stealth pun where Yuu wondered where they are when they get to the end of the spiral that is life, right when they came off of a segment which was apparently graves, a thing at the end of the spiral, where the show spiralled back to it.

But, were they allowed to show that? Did we really just see a normal Japanese TV anime show two teen girls, who are clearly under age, get drunk off of beer?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

All those rows upon rows of black filing cabinets were graves/memorials.

The legal drinking age is 20 over in Japan,which was pretty much ignored for a long time till recently,last few years they've been worried about alcohol/smoking leading to drug addiction with minors.

But the girls could be anywhere from 10 to 30 p plus,only the author knows for sure and she hasn't provided a single hint,that I know of.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The legal drinking age is 20 over in Japan,which was pretty much ignored for a long time till recently,last few years they've been worried about alcohol/smoking leading to drug addiction with minors.

What I particularly think about is with Ichigo Mashimaro, where the anime had to change the age of a character because she clearly drinks while apparently just a teenager in the manga.

Nordhmmer wrote:
But the girls could be anywhere from 10 to 30 p plus,only the author knows for sure and she hasn't provided a single hint,that I know of.

I feel most inclined to believe that they are teenagers. The look particularly younger than the two adults that they have met, which I feel inclined to believe is not just differing character designs, with differing sizes, these characters seem to have more rounded character in direction of someone who lived before world ended.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The word shōjo in the title strongly implies that they're underage, likely younger than 18. But then, I do seem to recall at least a couple of other anime show underage characters getting drunk while making it clear that they didn't know that what they were drinking contained alcohol (which is also the case with this show). Plus there's the classic joke about characters accidentally getting drunk on amazake on New Year.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad they didn't fall over the edge while dancing around in an inebriated state.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2