• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: You Should Be Playing Better Fanservice Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
As a guy who legitimately likes fan service games, Oneechanbara Z was possibly one of the ugliest games I had ever played and School Girl/Zombie Hunter seems to rely on that weird uncanny valley style of graphics that just looks wrong.

I would argue that the Senran Kagura games are really fun to play as they are easy to digest brawler games that have enough variety between each character (hell character move sets change every game). While the versus games in the series do lack variety, I'd say say the 3DS games are incredibly solid especially Deep Crimson with it's yoma boss battles.

As an advance wars fan, Tiny Metal looks like a lot of fun. I'll probably grab it on the switch so I can play it on the go.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I definitely would have preferred a traditional sprite-based game

Trust me Heidi, this is not the attitude we want to approach Mega Man with anymore. If we rely too much on the sprite nostalgia brought on by the 8-bit titles, this series is never going to grow and evolve. Not to mention, sticking with the old style over and over limits the creativity of the developers.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is a nice enhancement of the Vita version, though it's still a shame they couldn't dub the game. It's not quite as smooth as Ys when it comes to combat, but it's entertaining and the Limited Edition is worth the extra money spent.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's frustrating to try and talk about these games, since any negativity is often met with a knee-jerk reaction of "oh, you just don't like sexy games."

People do this all the time with anything anime-related, and it's one of my biggest pet peeves about the anime fan community. ("Oh, you don't appreciate the latest Tsundere Oppai Academy light novel adaptation, clearly you must not like fanservice!") If I didn't like fanservice, why the hell would I give this stuff a chance in the first place?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
You know Heidi and ANN, I'm glad and all that you're doing the X Button, but I seriously think you guys need more enthusiastic and versed writers who well, don't ride the sarcasm and "edgey" approach for the video game column.

I didn't turn my nose down on IGN and other video game outlets just so I could stumble upon another snarkbait eyerolling piece of nonsense.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Thing is game reviewers utterly fail at farly reviewing fanservice games, treating them as devil that needs to be annihilated.

How do gamers know when a fanservice game is good or bad when people on industry automatically assume it's all garbage and actively campaign against these games?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Thing is game reviewers utterly fail at farly reviewing fanservice games, treating them as devil that needs to be annihilated.

How do gamers know when a fanservice game is good or bad when people on industry automatically assume it's all garbage and actively campaign against these games?

Heidi's not, and this is the same argument we get every time a fan service anime is trashed: inclusion of heavy fan service doesn't excuse a game/anime being bad for other reasons, or from using the fan service in a dull fashion. That seemed to be the gist of her arguments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Heidi's not, and this is the same argument we get every time a fan service anime is trashed: inclusion of heavy fan service doesn't excuse a game/anime being bad for other reasons, or from using the fan service in a dull fashion. That seemed to be the gist of her arguments.

I'm not attacking her, I'm just saying why gamers are so defensive with lewd games. Gaming websites don't tell them if the game is good or bad. They're telling them they should be ashamed of playing such games.

I also think most of these games are trash, but I had to experience them myself to reach such conclusion because of gaming journalism's utter failure at doing actual journalism.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Gaming websites don't tell them if the game is good or bad. They're telling them they should be ashamed of playing such games.

It's been a while since I spent much time on gaming websites; do you have any examples?
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Gaming websites don't tell them if the game is good or bad. They're telling them they should be ashamed of playing such games.

It's been a while since I spent much time on gaming websites; do you have any examples?

It was like few months ago but Destructoid article actually called game fans "pedophiles" in one game review.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
I'm not attacking her, I'm just saying why gamers are so defensive with lewd games. Gaming websites don't tell them if the game is good or bad. They're telling them they should be ashamed of playing such games.

A few years back, a reviewer from a major online publication (not a game specific one, but a more general purpose one that had a video game review column) made the argument that Dark Souls was a terrible game because no game that took over 100 hours to beat could possibly be worth it ("you could learn a new language in less time" or something). I'm sure that non-gamer audiences would look at a game like Dark Souls and think that the reviewer's argument was completely rational, but a lot of gamers (especially those who had spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing RPGs) found it ridiculous.

At the same time, if there was someone out there who gave good ratings to every game that took over 100 hours to play, and claimed that people who gave bad ratings to games that took over 100 hours to play simply hated long games, I probably wouldn't take much stock in their opinions, even if I liked long games, too.

Point is, don't rely on the opinions of reviewers who think that the kinds of games you like to play are automatically bad, and don't rely on the opinions of reviewers who think that the kinds of games you like to play are automatically good.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:

A few years back, a reviewer from a major online publication (not a game specific one, but a more general purpose one that had a video game review column) made the argument that Dark Souls was a terrible game because no game that took over 100 hours to beat could possibly be worth it ("you could learn a new language in less time" or something). I'm sure that non-gamer audiences would look at a game like Dark Souls and think that the reviewer's argument was completely rational, but a lot of gamers (especially those who had spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing RPGs) found it ridiculous.

At the same time, if there was someone out there who gave good ratings to every game that took over 100 hours to play, and claimed that people who gave bad ratings to games that took over 100 hours to play simply hated long games, I probably wouldn't take much stock in their opinions, even if I liked long games, too.

Point is, don't rely on the opinions of reviewers who think that the kinds of games you like to play are automatically bad, and don't rely on the opinions of reviewers who think that the kinds of games you like to play are automatically good.
100 hours? Were they kicked in the head or were they trying to be a completionist?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Heidi Kemps wrote:
I definitely would have preferred a traditional sprite-based game...

I'm sorry to say this, but it's time to move on from the nostalgia of 8-bit Mega Man. Future Mega Man titles need to use modern-day 3D technology to the fullest if we want the franchise to get better.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Heidi writing the X Button! I'm a fan of her blog, and she really knows her stuff.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

GQ (Yeah that GQ) had an article about Yakuza 0, but their approach was “this game is good, but is any game worth 80+ hours as an adult?”

Also I think the DW-esque Senran Kagura games are fun, but some of the spinoffs? Yeesh.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash was actually the first Senran Kagura game I've played and I have to say I've been enjoying it tremendously more than I had anticipated. It needs to be given a bit more credit than it's on-the-surface fan-service antics. It's like a mash-up of Mario Kart's battle mode, Quake Arena, and a visual novel. Surprisingly though the characters and the overall presentation work very well. It's probably one of the better "anime" titles you can get in how everything melds together so well; being the characters, backgrounds, music, etc, all seem to actually work in unison.

I for one don't like to immediately discredit a game based on it's premise being fan-service. I like how everyone likes to act like sex and anything sexual on display is somehow bad and we wonder why as a society we have such a difficult time discussing anything sexual in an adult-manner, reducing it to the same level as immature fart jokes. If the title has the ability to back fan-service up as a legitimately enjoyable title then to me I do not see a problem..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3