• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Subscription Questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Let me know if you have any questions, comments, feedback or suggestions. I'll try to answer them all here.

- Chris
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why does ANN need money?
I've expanded on this topic here.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Is it possible to add some other payment options as well because personally I don't use PayPal and creating one only for this occasion I kinda don't wanna do that.. Neutral
We're going to look into a new payment processor later this year, but for now we are limited to PayPal. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I received the message "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" from PayPal while trying to subscribe.
PayPal will NOT process these subscription payments if you're trying to use a linked bank account. It has to be a credit card. If direct payment from you bank account is your default payment method, you need to change it to credit card and then try again. Thank's to RHorsman for this answer.

a few people wrote:
I have a PayPal account, but for some reason I am unable to complete the subscription.
Send me a PM and I'll give you instructions to send us the money and I'll set up your subscription manually.

#877901 wrote:
My one negative is that I saw that 'exclusive articles' was mentioned as the list of benefits. I personally don't like exclusive articles I think great journalism should be available to everyone regardless of subscriber status or at the minimum please have those exclusive articles with some sort of preview text (i.e Washing Post/NY Times) at the beginning so everyone can see what the article is about.
Thanks for pointing that out. We actually agree with you. That was listed as a benefit a long time ago, and we decided not to pursue it, but forgot to remove it from the list. My bad. I'll fix that right now.

chronium wrote:
You should look to see if crunchyroll or funimation would be willing to help out with a referral subscription system where we subscribe through you and also get a sub to crunchyroll or funimation. You get your $1 and they get the rest.
Yes, we're already looking into that for the enhanced subscription system next year.

Minimimiau wrote:
We regularly give-away DVDs, Blu-Rays and other merchandise we've received to our subscribers. The give-aways occur in the community forum.

Do you send me that DVD to Mexico or it is only to the USA? As I said, I like this site, please do not think I[ll pay only for what I said. Its only a question that I have.
.Ahh, I'll have to look into Mexico. Right now it's only USA & Canada (I'll update the subscription page to reflect that, thank you for pointing it out). But I suspect mail service to Mexico isn't that expensive, so it might be feasible for us to include Mexico.

lordcalgar wrote:
I would like the normal prescription, but Paypal informs me that the only way to pay it, is with a creditcard. And that is a nogo. In Germany we use "direct debit procedure" (don't know, if that is the correct name), which isn't enabled Sad
Because this is a subscription, PayPal requires a PayPal account and a credit card. We'll make sure this isn't an issue when we find a new payment processor.

Ladyhawk00 wrote:
Please add me to the list of supporters not willing to pay using PayPal. How about an address to send a money order? Thanks.
I still handle ANN's check deposits myself (they're very rare, most advertisers pay electronically), and I can be out of town for up to 6 weeks at a time. It wouldn't be appropriate for us to accept checks, but not be able to process them for up to 6 weeks. Thank you very much for wanting to do it though.

Chrono1000 wrote:
I would be interested but only if it could be done with an anonymous payment method.
We'll try to keep that in mind when we find a new payment provider. Of course, you could always set-up a more discreet PayPal account (I have one Cool ) that is much harder to link to you personally. Of course PayPal can figure out who you are, but people you send / receive money from won't. In fact, if you never transfer money between PayPal and a real-world account/card (in or out), PayPal doesn't even need to know who you are).

azhanei wrote:
I want to change the credit card option your PayPal interface defaults to. I click on "Change Payment," make the change, and hit "Continue," but the change doesn't stick. It keeps going back to card it had picked as the default.
Just a shot in the dark, but try logging directly in to paypal (not following the link from ANN), changing the default payment option, then returning to ANN and starting the subscription process. If it doesn't work, send me a PM and I'll send you instructions to send a payment straight to us; I'll manually configure your subscription.

Blood- wrote:
I think whether or not ANN would be willing to ship something to Mexico is kind of moot given that it has not offered a Community Forum give-away of any kind for 5 years.
Zac and I were just talking about this Thursday. We're going to start it up again really soon! At least one a month.

Last edited by Tempest on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 11 times in total
Ladyhawk00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Please add me to the list of supporters not willing to pay using PayPal. How about an address to send a money order? Thanks.

[answered above -t]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I love ANN and am fortunate to have enough income to be able to afford a subscription and will be sure to subscribe for Christmas.

My one negative is that I saw that 'exclusive articles' was mentioned as the list of benefits. I personally don't like exclusive articles I think great journalism should be available to everyone regardless of subscriber status or at the minimum please have those exclusive articles with some sort of preview text (i.e Washing Post/NY Times) at the beginning so everyone can see what the article is about.

Cheers

[answered above -t]
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I just subbed, how the heck do I turn off ads?

Okay, I just see that it says "You have the "basic" subscription, which removes generic non-anime ads."

:/ How do I get a refund?
the app banners are the most annoying things on here and I jumped at the chance to remove them, so I paid for nothing?

[refunded -t]
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess this explains why you were so desperate to implement the autoplay video "feature" and the "next article loading" feature, both very bad "features" for the users, they made me use the website less tbh. I can't bring myself to support you when your reviewers and reviews exist, also I tend to hate anything that is a thought piece and not news from here typically in general, maybe remove that stuff from the website if you want to claim to have "good journalism", as long as you have those kinds of things on here, I really wouldn't say your claims are true at all. Maybe get rid of that kind of stuff from here and then I'd consider subscribing.

Good luck I guess.

Edit: Also, if you offer the ability to block ads, let people block all ads, letting anime ads pass through is not OK in my opinion. Or am I understanding things wrong?

Another edit: So after reading things again, the 1 dollar plan only offers the basic ad removal that still lets anime ads through, so it's kind of useless, my criticism about it still stands...

[Thank you for your feedback -t]

Last edited by Thorfinn on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
lordcalgar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I would like the normal prescription, but Paypal informs me that the only way to pay it, is with a creditcard. And that is a nogo. In Germany we use "direct debit procedure" (don't know, if that is the correct name), which isn't enabled Sad

[answered above -t]
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I like ANN and I always enter to read the lastest anime news. So, I'll support the page. But, I want to know something. You said:

We regularly give-away DVDs, Blu-Rays and other merchandise we've received to our subscribers. The give-aways occur in the community forum.

Do you send me that DVD to Mexico or it is only to the USA? As I said, I like this site, please do not think I[ll pay only for what I said. Its only a question that I have.

[answered above -t]
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
I like this new option. I'll take you guys up on it. I always liked the skins (so long as the NSFW ones don't pop up while I'm at work, so again thanks for the filters on those), so I don't mind seeing them, and I'm happy to support the site. You guys have been keeping me informed and entertained for over a decade now.

[Thank you -t]
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
You should look to see if crunchyroll or funimation would be willing to help out with a referral subscription system where we subscribe through you and also get a sub to crunchyroll or funimation. You get your $1 and they get the rest.

[answered above -t]
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
Is it possible to add some other payment options as well because personally I don't use PayPal and creating one only for this occasion I kinda don't wanna do that.. Neutral

We're going to look into a new payment processor later this year, but for now we are limited to PayPal. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

Aight i hope you`ll be able to get some new option as we usualy see elsewhere it would surely let many more people to donate, since i am sure i am not alone that is not very fond of using paypal.

[noted, thank you. -t]
eesquibel
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Raising my hand as another person who needs a payment option other than Paypal. Was actually in the process of purchasing a subscription when I hit a brick wall because there was no "checkout as guest" option.

[Thank you -t]
MBAZ54
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
You need another option then Paypal!

The first time I used Paypal was the first time (and last) the I bought a subscription to ANN (several years ago). My credit card was compromised and had to be replaced. The next time I used Paypal was earlier this year to support Wikipedia and again my card was compromised and had to be replaced.

I have been wanting to support ANN, but I am not going to risk it again.

Please post other payment options as soon as they are available (and not Bitcoin).

[ouch, don't blame you. We'll try -t]
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested but only if it could be done with an anonymous payment method. I try to be polite in conversations but I do make pro-masculinity comments and some people no longer consider that to be politically correct and I have no idea how those comments will be viewed a few years from now. To quote the internet it is not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

[answered above -t]
azhanei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I want to change the credit card option your PayPal interface defaults to. I click on "Change Payment," make the change, and hit "Continue," but the change doesn't stick. It keeps going back to card it had picked as the default.

[answered above -t]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5