• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Claims Anime Studio Production IMS is Not Paying

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I like IMS, but why they got to cause problems for these hard working people? Just pay up.

Quote:
The Tweet suggested that the anime studio in question was Production IMS, and he advised his fellow animators to only apply for work with the studio if they are willing to work for free.

Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Wow. I like IMS, but why they got to cause problems for these hard working people? Just pay up.

Quote:
The Tweet suggested that the anime studio in question was Production IMS, and he advised his fellow animators to only apply for work with the studio if they are willing to work for free.

Laughing

The rumor is they are bankrupt, that's why.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
^Yep. It's not that they don't want to. It's that they can't. I don't have any reliable sources or anything, but that's the only thing that makes sense. In general, Studios don't pay animators so little because they want to, it's because they can't afford to pay more.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
With most animation studios running on very-limited funding, it's not surprising that the payouts are almost always at low levels.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I belive the studio is bankrupt. So they have nothing to pay with.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm worried about Takunomi. Not that I had very high expectations previously
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is grim. Is this problem industrial wide? I'm surprise there still anime still being made if this is something typically happening.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
This is grim. Is this problem industrial wide? I'm surprise there still anime still being made if this is something typically happening.

No, it's not a widespread problem.

This sort of thing happens when studios run out of money and are about to go under. That happens a lot unfortunately, but it's no more common these days than before. In fact the number of new studios opening up is greater than the ones shutting down right now I feel.

No studio can get away with purposefully stiffing its staff for long... It would very quickly spread through rumors and no one would feel safe working there (this case is an example of that). One of the "good" things about the industry is that animators aren't tied to a particular studio, they can move around freely and most of the studios are located pretty close to each other in north western tokyo even.
If a studio gets a bad rep for not paying people, its days are numbered. So generally the only reason animators don't get paid for their work is when the studio literally doesn't have the money to pay, and that is 99% of the time a sign that they are not long for this world.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It is weird to imagine them going under, they've only been around a few years.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
If it's true that this is about IMS, then this really is a shame. Although none were particularly outstanding, the work they've made were decent.
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Bankrupt?

Well, so much for my hope of a second season of High School Fleet.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
That is a bummer, if true. They've worked on lots of things that I liked. It also makes me wonder what might happen to their project in January. Anime usually needs a decent lead time, so it might not be possible to switch studios, unless this situation was already known to the production committee. Then again, the committee probably wouldn't have contracted with IMS if they thought they risked not finishing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
^Theoretically the show should be at least half done at this point. With the first 2-3 episodes fully complete and the rest in various stages of production. Whether or not the Committee is aware of their struggles is anyone's guess. We've seen other situations where they had no idea, so it could easily be the case here as well.

wastrel wrote:
Well, so much for my hope of a second season of High School Fleet.

Haifuri doesn't have much of anything to do with IMS other than that it was animated there(kind of). So there isn't much doom for that franchise just because the contracted studio they used is no longer available.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I was going to suggest that Production IMS perhaps didn't have any money, but the recent High School Fleet OVA sold exceedingly well (12,941 estimate on Someanithing). They've gotta have a little to pay their animators. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
^Unfortunately that's not how anime revenue works for contracted studios. IMS is a contractor on Haifuri, which means they got payed a set fee for their work. How well or poorly the series did for the production committee is actually irrelevant. All of that money stays with the production committee.
An anecdote that industry people like to bring up is that Actas, the studio that animated Girls Und Panzer, actually lost a significant amount of money during that project and almost went bankrupt as well, even while the show itself sold 35,000 copies per volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3