• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure I agree with the shelf worthy review. I caught this when it was airing and never really got into it so I dropped it. It started taking off during Con Season so I tried to finish it and I hit the same wall. I can't say I want to watch it again either.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Photon, my favorite harem idiot, is back! Now is a good time to check that my old DVD works on newer DVD players... it was a dual layer DVD I bought used back when dual layered meant "dual sided" more often than not and the transition didn't work all that well back then. Or at all. Probably the latter one.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I wish Chris Patton had voiced Sakamoto, the character reminds me of Sousuke from FMP. And you do not see Chris in many, if any, main roles any more.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm not so sure I agree with the shelf worthy review. I caught this when it was airing and never really got into it so I dropped it. It started taking off during Con Season so I tried to finish it and I hit the same wall. I can't say I want to watch it again either.

Yeah same, tried twice to get into it but never made it pass first episode either time. It felt like there was maybe 5 jokes in the entire episode (4 of which were just a variation of "Sakamoto does something outrageous and amazing") and the rest of the time the show was just wasting time. There's a long segment where 3 guys just pass the ball and don't even really say anything, with maybe 5 second between every retort. I think you could have easily cram the entire episode into a 5 min short and it would have worked really well like that.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yea Sakamoto started strong, but it quickly ran out of breath. Not sure I would recommend it as a shelf worthy myself.

Also wish Kiznaiver had been released by someone else. Maybe Crunchyroll will get the dub?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto is definitely one of the best comedies of recent years. But as funny as it is, I think it's main strength is unfortunately glossed over in the review, which is Sakamoto's stoicism throughout it all, which is what, for me at least, produced so much of the comedy. His ultra-serious manner in which the jokes are presented, assisted by the framing and direction of the show, sold all the gags that much more. What's more, the brilliant thing is this tone is consistent throughout the show, which the show hinges on. If Sakamoto were to ever slip up and present the show's jokes as jokes, or if his demeanor ever broke, the show would simply fall apart. That it manages to maintain this the whole time and never once falter is a miracle. Also, I must applaud the ending for spoiler[having the restraint to ultimately not reveal his true identity or any secrets about him, as the show's humor, again, largely hinges on this aspect of his character.] Really good show.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Me too. I managed to make it through 3 episodes, but dropped it right after that without any regrets. It just seemed like mostly the same joke over and over again, and it wasn't even as well executed as One Punch Man (another series which I, unlike the rest of the community, found rather boring, but at least managed to finish).
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get into Sakamoto. A lot of anime comedies are hit or miss for me.
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
I think I made it about halfway through Sakamoto before finally giving it up. It was fairly amusing at times, but I just got really bored with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1