• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Shaman King' Trademark Listed Under Kodansha

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ame_Sama19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I have a feeling it's going to have an a omnibus version of something like that by Kodansha Comic (USA) and I might sell my uncompleted collection from Viz.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Kodansha will give us the true ending in NA.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like SK in under Kodansha now. Don't let that distract you from the reason why there won't be a remake for the manga anymore.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Hopefully Kodansha will give us the true ending in NA.

You read my mind, friend.

I'm hoping if they release them as omnibus editions to also make the print size a bit bigger.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Stop getting my hopes up for a new "Shaman King" anime.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Shaman King Flowers can come back now. Kodansha has many magazines where that series could fit right in.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I read Shaman King up to fourteen volumes and watched the entire 4Kids dub of the Anime. I really hope this means Shaman King is getting an Omnibus release from Kodansha and hopefully Shaman King Flowers may see the light of day in North America. Yet, I do not want to get my hopes up too much.

But between the Omnibus for Gantz by Dark Horse getting announced. Now possibly an omnibus for Shaman King and the "True End" getting released. Two series I always wanted to desperately finish might be within reach
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It's really interesting to me that Kodansha holds the licence in Japan now even. Does that often happen for Shonen Jump titles? I can't remember hearing something like that before.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's really interesting to me that Kodansha holds the licence in Japan now even. Does that often happen for Shonen Jump titles? I can't remember hearing something like that before.

Something similar happened to Gash Bell / Zatch Bell, where the manga jumped to Kodansha after the relationship with Shogakukan ended badly. Though I'll note that the manga author still maintains a good relationship with Toei Animation and Toei still actively distributes the anime to various territories. I'd imagine this would be true for the old animation license for Shaman King, as the issues weren't really studio and network related, but rather at the original publication level.

All I can say is that Shaman King's author and Shueisha must've been on really bad terms, for whatever reason. There's still a lot of questions as to why the manga was forced to end originally and doesn't entirely seem to be sales related. Nura had something similar happen, but I believe the reason there was at least health related reasons. Guy still actively publishes stuff with Shueisha.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

All I can say is that Shaman King's author and Shueisha must've been on really bad terms, for whatever reason. There's still a lot of questions as to why the manga was forced to end originally and doesn't entirely seem to be sales related.

I thought the actual reason for Shaman King's ending was because Takei had no idea what to do with Hao. In the final Kanzenban he kind of explains that. However, I wonder if you meant the sequel Flowers which disappeared about 4 years ago.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish something could be done with the anime. Discotek...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I thought the actual reason for Shaman King's ending was because Takei had no idea what to do with Hao. In the final Kanzenban he kind of explains that.

I still feel that Takei's reason is only half of the story. Shueisha literally put the release of the final volume (32) on indefinite hiatus back in 2004, & told fans that it wanted 50,000 pre-orders before it would even release it in Japan. Sure, Takei likely wrote himself into a corner, but I also think something else happened between Takei & a higher-up, which made it impossible for Takei to simply take a normal hiatus (i.e. the generic "this series is taking a small break so that the author can do some research" excuse) so that he could think up an ending back then.

A popular series doesn't just come to a sudden end & then have its final volume effectively held hostage from release just because the author couldn't figure out what to do next.
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

All I can say is that Shaman King's author and Shueisha must've been on really bad terms, for whatever reason. There's still a lot of questions as to why the manga was forced to end originally and doesn't entirely seem to be sales related.

I thought the actual reason for Shaman King's ending was because Takei had no idea what to do with Hao. In the final Kanzenban he kind of explains that. However, I wonder if you meant the sequel Flowers which disappeared about 4 years ago.

Flowers didn't disappear, it was cancelled because the magazine it ran in (Jump X) was discontiniued in October 2014. It did get a proper ending at least, even though it was obviously cut short.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

If Zatch Bell was SJ title (it was a Shounen Sunday title), that would be the only one I could think of. Going by this, if one was to buy an out-of-print Zatch Bell or Shaman King graphic novel (Japanese or English version), does Shueisha or Kodansha get the profits?
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Missed out on Shaman King when I was younger, but I'll definitely check out an Omnibus release if it gets one.

I also had no idea the history of the manga was so...complicated. Very interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2