• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Squid Girl

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Squid Girl, one of my favorite shows. Glad they dubbed the second season and made it available.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It must be jarring to suddenly have a cast change between seasons.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Squid Girl, one of my favorite shows. Glad they dubbed the second season and made it available.

Same here, much appreciated! Although jarring, I get used to a change given time re-watching things and the likes. Might have favorites here and there, but just happy to have that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Squid Girl is so fun. Hisako Kanemoto is just perfect in it. I love her in all her roles but nothing will ever compare to that perfection.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Certainly a review in which you don't want to misread "tentacles."
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I see "The Critic" on the shelf. This is obviously a person with good taste.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the cast change as long as the main character returned which thankfully happened, she's the only one that really matters to me.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently rewatching Squid Girl, this time the dub through HiDive. It definitely holds up to repeat watching. I'm a little concerned about coming into season two with the new actors. Unlike most people who probably watched the first season over a few bulk viewings, maybe a few days if not marathoned all at once, I'm spending 12 weeks with these voices, I'm a little attached to them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm very very surprised Naisho no Tsubomi got licensed, considering how niche it is (a sex ed video for elementary schoolers).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

It did help that there was enough time between when I watched season one and two that Squid Girl was the only voice that I remembered.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Hey, it happens!

The first season was licensed by Media Blasters (based in NYC) and they probably worked with NY actors. It just isn't feasible to recruit the entire cast to do a second season after Section 23/Sentai licensed the series when MB passed on it. Section 23/Sentai is based in Houston and they work with their own home-based stable of actors. That's just the way it works and it's generally not worth it for the actors based elsewhere to fly into Texas to do dub work unless the licensing company makes it worth their while. Anime dubs don't pay that well!
Squid Girl just didn't do well enough for MB to continue with it and for a while the Blu ray of Season One (the MB original release) of the show was ridiculously expensive!
I'm glad I waited to pick it up after Sentai licensed it. Glad I also skipped on the LE edition! I was interested in the series and thought it looked cute but it wasn't THAT cute where my wallet was concerned!
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I need to rewatch Squid Girl. FYI CR has the OVAs but not the mini-squid girl shorts.
The mini-squid girl moments during the regular episodes are especially moe. Took me a while to find this part, but S1 ep 5 last segment with mini-Ika and Eiko was especially melancholic and unexpectedly sad.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd be most interested to know how they dubbed the season 2 episode where the American blonde gives English lessons.

GeorgeC wrote:
The first season was licensed by Media Blasters (based in NYC) and they probably worked with NY actors.
I believe they outsourced it to BangZoom! in Southern California.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Try multiple times in the same show sometime. Ranma 1/2's dub has at least 3 actresses for female Ranma and two for male. That sort of thing used to happen all the time.

It's a wonder they tried to get any of the same cast back, let alone the main character. They deserve some major kudos for finishing out the dub at all. Good job, guys!
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I'd be most interested to know how they dubbed the season 2 episode where the American blonde gives English lessons.

GeorgeC wrote:
The first season was licensed by Media Blasters (based in NYC) and they probably worked with NY actors.
I believe they outsourced it to BangZoom! in Southern California.

spoiler[Rather than just teaching them English she is teaching them "British English."]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2