• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Even if 18 really shows it, you could tell in volumes 16 and 17, that spoiler[Yuki and Machi were drwn to each other. in 16, Machi reacts and shows her true emotions for the first time in the series and in 17, Yuki is struck by the fact that Machi chased him around the school just to say hello. it's funny, in that sequence you see the two best couples in the series, Yuki and Machi, and Kyo and Tohru. ]

my favorite dialouge in 16 is right after spoiler[Katsuya's "you were born late line:

Kyoko:It's true. you wouldv'e made a lousy teacher.
Katsuya:Thank you.
Kyoko:(quietly) not a compliment. (she's also blushing)
]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
my favorite dialouge in 16 is right after spoiler[Katsuya's "you were born late line:

Kyoko:It's true. you wouldv'e made a lousy teacher.
Katsuya:Thank you.
Kyoko:(quietly) not a compliment. (she's also blushing)
]

Reminds me of spoiler[two teachers from my high school that actually married their students that they taught] Shocked Another one spoiler[dated her student but I guess they broke it up. She got married last year too.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
exceptspoiler[Kyoko was in middle school]

btw, i noticed something in volume 18 todayspoiler[it says that Kureno carried Rin out of the cat room, but she would have turned into a horse because Kureno is no longer cursed, right? maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but its an odd circumstance]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:

btw, i noticed something in volume 18 todayspoiler[it says that Kureno carried Rin out of the cat room, but she would have turned into a horse because Kureno is no longer cursed, right? maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but its an odd circumstance]

Wow! You're right. That's certainly something we'll have to discuss when that volume comes up but perhaps he was able to do it spoiler[because he used to be a Zodiac member. ]

*shrugs* We'll figure it out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Wow! You're right. That's certainly something we'll have to discuss when that volume comes up but perhaps he was able to do it spoiler[because he used to be a Zodiac member. ]

*shrugs* We'll figure it out.

That would be correct, and if you would like to know something else, when spoiler[Ren slept with Shigure she didn't have to worry him turning into a dog because she bore the reincarnation of the god of the Zodiac.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
My brain is fried...I almost forgot that it's time to start the discussion of Vol. 17! How horrible is that?!

We get to see a little bit of Akito's reaction when he realizes that Kureno spoiler[was free of the Curse] and, while they won't say it out loud, I think that Hatori and Shigure spoiler[suspect that Kureno is free.] But they won't say it out loud. I don't think that they really want to admit to it even in their own minds...at least at this point.

It was sad watching Kureno try to convince himself that meeting Arisa was trivial. I still don't understand why he still feels that he has to spoiler[stay by Akito's side but it could be that he's the sort of person that until he's release from a vow, he'll keep it come hell or high water and no matter how much it hurts him and others.]

And then he tells Tohru the big secret! Akito is spoiler[a girl!!!!!] And we are introduced to Akito's mother Ren. And we discover that it was Ren's decision to raise Akitospoiler[as a man and that the two of them hate each others guts.] I'm not exactly certain who Akira-san is spoiler[I suspect that he's Akito's father.] But it is obvious that Ren ain't to tightly wrapped. spoiler[Like mother, like daughter.] And it is obvious that Ren takes some enjoyment at giving verbal stabs to Akito.

This volume seems to bounce around time-wise because towards the end we see Shirgure on the phone talking to Kureno, which had happened earlier in the volume. But, in this part we watch the entire conversation and learn of the depth of Shigure's spoiler[hatred for Kureno.] And we learn that Shigure has been a naughty boy! spoiler[He slept with Ren! And we learn that he did it for revenge on Akito because she slept with Kureno. Which explains why Shigure hates him.]

The scene with Shirgure and Akito when they confront each other about spoiler[who they slept with] is an interesting look into Akito's mind. "I'm special! I'm free to do whatever I want with my Zodiac! I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!" If that doesn't spell madness to you, then I don't know what is.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
it's about time Wink

kureno tries to convince himself and he needs to spoiler[stay with akito, despite the fact that he doesn't have to, because he doesn't want to see her cry like that again. oh and kureno's curse was broken when he was about 15 or 16]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
The big secret, but I had to suspect it even before the volume even came out, when I saw the previews for it at the end of volume 16. It makes sense though to see spoiler[Akito as that when she has a hatred for all Zodiac women, and even those who try to mess with her Zodiac men. Look at who have suffered: Kana, Tohru, Rin, and Kisa. They paid a price for something that they didn't do, only to fall in love. ]

I'm surprised how this series, which was a comedy series, somehow went to dramatic adult type series, because of the all the drama going on now. spoiler[Shigure and Akito, Shigure and Kureno, Akito and Ren, Tohru and the secret, and all sorts of stuff. When Tohru breaks down, it's none other than Hana-chan to the rescue, and even at times we who work very hard need a break from life, and that's what Tohru gets from the sleepover.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm surprised how this series, which was a comedy series, somehow went to dramatic adult type series, because of the all the drama going on now.
I don't know, it was always dramatic, just not as much in the beginning. What suprises me is that it can feel so real rather than soap opera. The creator is one talented human being.

Volume 17. Secrets revealed. I was, most unfortunately, spoiled about spoiler[Akito being a woman and earlier about her being a "god."] Still, the scenes haven't lost their power.

I think I understand where Kureno is coming from. When Uo-chan said he was like Tohru, this is part of that. He's selfless. Kureno, obviously, does have feelings for Arisa, but he feel obligated to spoiler[protect Akito's happiness. Clearly, he is much closer to Akito than the others. I'm not quite sure how the curse broke for him, but I think Akito might have cause it herself without meaning to.]

Also, the more I get to know Ren, the less anger I feel toward Akito. That woman seriously warped him. I mean, the very fact that spoiler[Akito was raised as a man despite being a woman has clearly disturbed her mind. Also, from what Kureno said about how he felt when the curse broke, I wonder how much of Akito's bad nature is Akito the person and how much is Akito the "god" of the Zodiac.]

I really liked how spoiler[Hana-chan was drawn to Tohru just as soon as things turned so painful. And Uo-chan's reaction to Tohru's efforts, it's so loving, that it feels more like the bond of sisters than of friends. But it's Megumi and Hana's exchange about the possibility of Arisa and Kureno finding their way to each other after all that I like most. It really highlights, more than any other scene previously, just how much Hana has changed from the days when people called her a witch and hurt her. Megumi you'd expect to be an optimist about such a situation, but Hana?] I'm not really sure spoiler tags are needed on this comment, but better safe than sorry.

Speaking of touching scenes, I think my vote for favorite romantic image goes to spoiler[Yuki putting his hand on Machi's head and thanking her for chasing him all over the school just to say hello.] If these two don't end up together romantically by the end of this series, I'm going to be so depressed.

Although spoiler[Kyo finding Tohru's scarf, Kyo giving Tohru the paper flower, and just basically every scene with Kyo and Tohru] really leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart.

Volume 18 though is so heavy with romance it's scary.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Volume 17 It is my favourite volume mainly because it is shown that spoiler[Shigure and Akito are couple Very Happy ]
However I don't believe that the author planned Akito to be spoiler[girll from the beginning she wore too skin-tight clothes earlier] but realism was never the strongest point in this manga.

Quote:

I think I understand where Kureno is coming from. When Uo-chan said he was like Tohru, this is part of that. He's selfless. Kureno, obviously, does have feelings for Arisa, but he feel obligated to spoiler[ protect Akito's happiness.]

I don't think he was spoiler[ protecting her happiness actually he did something quite the opposite. It's like Shigure said he should push her away if he really wanted her happiness.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I don't think he was spoiler[ protecting her happiness actually he did something quite the opposite. It's like Shigure said he should push her away if he really wanted her happiness.]
I agree with that second sentence hidden by the spoilers. Clearly Kureno hasn't realized until now just how bad spoiler[Akito has gotten and how no one's even trying to manage the poor girl's growing mental problems. However, I do think he chose to remain with her in an attempt to make Akito happy. Akito relies upon the "bond" of the curse and you saw how crazy she went when she realized Kureno was free. She's completely and totally terrified of being abandoned, but at the same time she's got serious anger and arrogance issues because no one keeps her in line. It's a combination that is steadily forcing everyone to abandon her.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now for what you all have been waiting for! Discussion on the most recent issue of Fruits Basket: Volume 18!

Once again, Poor Machi! spoiler[God, her parents suck!] And poor Yuki! spoiler[Falling for the bra-in-the-hand trick...and being punished even though he was the victim! Laughing ]

But to be on the serious side, it's Yuki who understands the most about Machi's spoiler[obsession (mania?) concerning "perfection." And now we understand why she trashes rooms. Because she was told that she had to be perfect all of the time. And to have her mother say, in front of her no less, that she's glad she has a son and that Machi was dull and had no individuality. Which is the opposite of what her mother probably demanded from her. Yuki understands and offers to help her keep things from being too perfect.]

And for once, Kakeru stays out of it...at least until when things might get a little too close! What a big brother! Very Happy Wink

It really comes home to Machi that Yuki understands her, when spoiler[the new box of chalk is slid between the two of them and continuing with the discussion, Yuki quietly breaks a piece of the chalk in two. No longer perfect.] There is just something quietly sweet about that scene.

I have to say that Minagawa certainly has grown up as well. And we really see that in this volume when she spoiler[tells Yuki that she loves him and that she hopes that he finds happiness. A brave thing to do. A difficult thing to do. It's hard putting aside your daydreams even ones you know were never possible in the first place.]

And there is a new Sohma baby! Hinata-chan! Cute! The tender look on Hiro's face is just wonderful! spoiler[I hope that Takaya-san draws (drew) a panel of Hiro holding his sister after the curse is lifted. I'd love to see his face!]

And back to the worry. Rin spoiler[is in the hospital...but no one seems to know which one. Not even Hatori or Shigure.

It was very brave of Hiro to confess to Kisa that he was the reason that Akito hurt her and at the same time confess to Haru that he knew what had happened to Rin the first time - Akito pushed her out a window. It's obvious that Haru forgives him when he places his hand on Hiro's head as he walks off. And of course, Kisa will forgive Hiro almost anything.]

Brave Kureno spoiler[for taking Rin out of the Cat's room and confronting Akito about it. Actually taking Akito to task for locking Rin up in there. It's interesting watching Akito be mean and nasty but once Haru walks out, Akito begins screaming for him to come back, don't go. The same way Akito freaked out when Kureno broke the curse. Oh, gee...every day Akito's little world just gets worse and worse. I so can NOT feel any sympathy. ]

I'm going to be a serious girly-girl here: Rin's spoiler[HAIR! Her poor, lovely long HAIR was chopped off by that Bitch!]

I do not like that old maid! Period! To say the things that she said! spoiler[Calling Rin a whore! Telling Kureno that he betrayed Akito and that the Zodiac only exist for Akito and should die for Akito. How sick and twisted is that? No wonder Akito is so screwed up!]

And we learn that the other bitch, Ren was the one who spoiler[set up Rin to get hurt by Akito. But, I'm not really sure what was in that box Ren told Rin to get. I'm assuming that it will be revealed in later volumes.]

It was quite wonderful watching Haru spoiler[ carry Rin and telling her how he feels and that she isn't a burden. That was probably the one thing that she really needed to hear. Watching Rin with Tohru was cute too! Her reaction when Tohru is crying is quite funny but it is also obvious that Rin does care about Tohru and her feelings because she told the others that she didn't want Tohru to know what Akito did to her. I think she's right. Rin know that it would be a stab to Tohru's heart knowing how Akito hurt Rin.]

Once again Takaya-san has produced another kicker of a volume! Post-manga volume depression has hit! But I'm really, really looking forward to the next volume!

Okay, fighter, the ball is back in your court. What do we do after talking this volume to death?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And we learn that the other bitch, Ren was the one who spoiler[set up Rin to get hurt by Akito. But, I'm not really sure what was in that box Ren told Rin to get. I'm assuming that it will be revealed in later volumes.]
I have to throw in a comment here. I'm almost dead certain spoiler[it's the ashes of Akito's father. Given the animosity between Ren and Akito and the proprietary feelings Ren has for the contents of that box,] I really think that's what it is.

Speaking of bad parents, why are there so many lousy parents in Fruits Basket? Is that part of the curse too?

Also, Yuki spoiler[wins romantic line of the year award for his promise to make foot prints in the snow with Machi]. Soooooooooo sweet! I think Kakeru is okay spoiler[with his half-sister and Yuki pairing up. I loved how he was listening in, making sure nothing went to far (or maybe he just wanted to make sure Yuki was saying the right things.)]

Yuki spoiler[and Machi fit together so easily and there's such a gentleness to him when he's with her. When Yuki was trying to act romantically toward Tohru before he understood his own feelings, there was always a bit of overkill with it. Now, the things he does and says with Machi] are just so gentle.

I'm glad Motoko got to spoiler[tell Yuki how she felt. I hope they'll be an epilogue with her later showing that she's found love too. I wanted her to win Yuki's heart in the beginning, but Machi is the soulmate. Our dear Prince Yuki Fanclub President's feeling reached him, but she could never be as perfect for him as Machi. Hopefully, she'll find someone. (Perhaps a certain kohai who is on the student council?) She may be graduating, but she's not moving to another country right?]

On Rin's Plus, I spoiler[hair: This may sound heretical, but I think she looks nicer with it shorter. Her whole look is different and softer now, which really goes well with her improved attitude. We're getting the see the girl Haru fell in love with now.] I think she kinda looks like Kyoko.

I love how Kureno didn't hesitate once he realized what was happening. He didn't think about the Sohma family or if Akito would be angry. He just stepped in spoiler[and saved Rin. I also like how was so gentle in his admonishment of Akito. He's trying so hard to be kind to her. Of course, Haru got to vent all of our anger for what happened. (And nearly break the curse on himself I think.)] Uo-chan picked a good man.

The end of this volume, as Tohru spoiler[desperately says that the curse has to be broken by spring, that they can't wait for eventually, because of Kyo is just heartrending. For the frist time, you can see that she's starting to really know that she's in love with him. She wants to save him, but Kyo's already given up any hope of being saved.]

Last bit: What exactly is the true nature of the animal spirits of the Zodiac? spoiler[The head bitch, er maid, said that Akito was responsible for keeping the other members of the Zodiac from being monsters like the Cat. Do you think she was just blowing smoke or was there truth in her words?]

My post looks like a declassified CIA document about Area 51. Anime hyper
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Okay, fighter, the ball is back in your court. What do we do after talking this volume to death?

My goodness, has it come to that point in time? Shocked I might have to take a poll from everybody, but I may have to take on the duties that was appointed upon you, unless we want to wait for all of the volumes to come out.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

My goodness, has it come to that point in time? Shocked I might have to take a poll from everybody, but I may have to take on the duties that was appointed upon you, unless we want to wait for all of the volumes to come out.

It has. And the next volume doesn't come out until March 2008. FOUR MONTHS from now! Shocked (and yet that stupid Naruto comes out twice a month or something like that.)

So, I'm not sure what we can do next to keep this lovely thread going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 97 of 170