• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's 5th Anime Series Reveals Staff, April Debut, Modern Setting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it.

I just hope that when/if Discotek licenses this, they'll make sure the proper music is used in the English dub.

Also, Lupin was using modern devices in Part IV, so I don't see why it's worth noting he'll be doing the same in this one. We just kind of assume that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Also, Lupin was using modern devices in Part IV, so I don't see why it's worth noting he'll be doing the same in this one. We just kind of assume that.
I know nearly everything else has stayed in the 70s, with Part IV clearly taking place in the modern era. After looking again at the poster, maybe there is a translation error and this is set in the future.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Fantastic news. Loved part IV and that visual looks great. Totally looking forward to this
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote
Digging the clever logo with the Part5/Paris

I've been watching part 4 on Toonami and I love it. It would be nice if season 5 gets a simuldub.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
This is great and all, but... it serves as a horrible reminder of France’s greatest national sin. Assuming the French are financing this project (like Greece and the last series)... it would mark the *closest* the French people have ever come to a respectable adaptation of Leblanc’s work in more than a century.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Sure hope if they're going to be using classic cars they remember the SSK at the very least, the Fiat whoring has gotten a bit redundant.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to this. Really enjoyed Part IV a lot. Nice to see an old franchise brought back to life and one that just doesn't trade on nostalgia.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I know nearly everything else has stayed in the 70s, with Part IV clearly taking place in the modern era. After looking again at the poster, maybe there is a translation error and this is set in the future.

Lupin sort of lives in a timeless universe like The Simpsons of James Bond per say.

Personally, I wish they would either just leaves this as Part IV season 2, or if we're getting Part V, that they change his jacket colour. I mean really, this is how us Lupin otaku identity a series continuity on sight. I'm way to damn old to have to try and guess if a blue jacket Lupin is a French or a San Marino Lupin.

EDIT: I'm still out as for the polo shirt goes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
I hope this is also a great season like Part IV. Hopefully Crunchyroll can simulcast it from the start. And I assume some people are going to say that this new Lupin show is going to be crap because Okouchi is involved.

penguintruth wrote:
I just hope that when/if Discotek licenses this, they'll make sure the proper music is used in the English dub.

Isn't TMS the one responsible for the English dub screw up?
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, that promo art looks a lot more scientific/futuristic than I expect from this franchise. The previous promo art from the initial announcement had a completely different atmosphere. I'm very curious to see what direction this series will take.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I hope this is also a great season like Part IV. Hopefully Crunchyroll can simulcast it from the start. And I assume some people are going to say that this new Lupin show is going to be crap because Okouchi is involved.

After Princess Principal, I don't get why people would believe this. That show was Lupin-lite.
DopeyDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Other than the main writer and the setting is there really anything that sets this series apart from Part IV? It really seems more like season 2 than a full Part V.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
DopeyDragon wrote:
Other than the main writer and the setting is there really anything that sets this series apart from Part IV? It really seems more like season 2 than a full Part V.

Agreed; this is also breaking the long-running tradition of having a new jacket color for each "part."
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe after this, we'll get Black Jacket Lupin in Part 6?

But what is the color scheme for Lupin series again?
Part 1: Green
Part 2: Red
Part 3: Yellow(?)
Part 4, and apparently Part 5: Blue
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Isn't TMS the one responsible for the English dub screw up?

Is that what happened?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3