• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Citrus

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
This series is definitely not for me, which is a shame, because yuri is a genre that I desperately want to have more series out there. I was hoping it would get better, but after three episodes of little to offer beyond sexual assault, unrealistic contrivances, neckbreaking speed of the plot development so much so that all the characters feel artificial beyond belief, I just can't. Any suspension of disbelief that I might have had for the series is well and truly gone, all I am left with is the sense of ickiness that I derive no enjoyment from.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading ages ago that there was a lot of positive buzz surrounding the manga with people saying it's great etc.. so I was keen to check out the anime adaptation.

So far I'm not feeling it though, that's not to say I don't like it, I do (for what it is). But I just can't see myself attaching the word "great" to it anytime soon, or even by the end of the shows run.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Citrus is one of my favorite manga and I'm pretty satisfied with the anime so far. I appreciate the fair review; too many people have just been writing it off immediately.

"Citrus may seem simple and trashy, but it handles its subject matter with more intelligence than expected."

This quote really does describe the whole series pretty well.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So far this seems more like yaoi, just with girls instead of guys. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but yaoi and yuri always seemed to have a particular style to them and Citrus seems to lean more towards how a yaoi would play out than a yuri anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The first 2 episodes of Citrus have been messy writing wise, but I think I more or less get what it is trying to do. It is more trash than serious drama, but it is alright as long as the execution is solid. I am liking the show overall, but I hope the narrative structure improves.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I... I feel like I was watching a different show from the reviewer. The anime adaptation has taken what was a soapy manga that still had some other qualities, albeit trashy at times, and upped the voyeurism and turned it so sleazy. I'm not seeing any more meaningful or self-aware storytelling so far. I hope people just buy or borrow the manga instead.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
I said it before and I say it again, you all remember Yuri Kuma Arashi? Well, Citrus feels exactly like the kind of yuri series that Ikuhara wanted to skew with his show.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
I absolutely do not understand exactly how we're supposed to ignore the flagrant sexual assault in the first two episodes, considering the fact that they were markedly less pronounced and repulsive in the manga, and the narrative including them builds a love blossoming from outright inexcusable behavior that is handled in the most inept way possible by the staff.

Yuzu's reaction to this behavior is unhealthy, the excuses made by the characters for Mei's actions are either nonexistent or gut-wrenchingly ignorant of the severity of these issues.

If I were a fan of the manga before this, I'd be furious.

Florete wrote:
Citrus is one of my favorite manga and I'm pretty satisfied with the anime so far. I appreciate the fair review; too many people have just been writing it off immediately.

"Citrus may seem simple and trashy, but it handles its subject matter with more intelligence than expected."

This quote really does describe the whole series pretty well.

The anime has increased the voyeurism to a degree that objectifies the characters more blatantly than the FEMALE MANGAKA intended, and outright mortally wounds the material by turning overly-aggressive behavior into outright sexual assault.

It's. Trashy.
Gucchan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quote
I feel that a lot of people are going easy on this one just because it’s involving two girls. Had this been a shoujo/josei and Mei had been a guy or a BL with two dudes more people would be whining about how abusive, unhealthy and rape-y the relationship is.

Personally, I'm sort of enjoying it, but I genuinely don't see the "self-awareness" of this show. I can agree that it's trashy fun though. Hopefully, the upcoming Kase-san anime will be better.
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the ANN review bias. Male forcing kisses on a female in anime is the devil's own work and everyone watching should be ashamed at the rapeyness. Female forcing kisses on female lead is just "trashy" and needs to be viewed through the lens of great execution.

I wonder if the sexual assault scene from episode 1 of Killing Bites would have gotten a pass if it had been a bunch of girls forcing themselves on a girl.

"Well it was kinda trashy, but you can see it was executed really well and so it is easy to look past it and see the deeper meaning." Deshou?
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:

The anime has increased the voyeurism to a degree that objectifies the characters more blatantly than the FEMALE MANGAKA intended, and outright mortally wounds the material by turning overly-aggressive behavior into outright sexual assault.

It's. Trashy.

I am really curious how the anime is more voyeuristic and objectifying than the manga, care to elaborate?
And why was it only "overly-aggressive behavior" and not outright sexual assault in the manga and what exactly is the difference between those two?
MF65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Gucchan wrote:
I feel that a lot of people are going easy on this one just because it’s involving two girls. Had this been a shoujo/josei and Mei had been a guy or a BL with two dudes more people would be whining about how abusive, unhealthy and rape-y the relationship is.

Exactly. This reads exactly like one of Nakamura's (in)famous "rape is love" tropes. So if stuff like "junjo romantica" rightfully belongs in the trash, why would this be any different? Because it features two girls? It's so rare to get a yuri show that anything is acceptable?

It's hilariously bad that this got a B+ rating. Which, by the way, puts it on the top 5 of best reviewed new shows this season. Jesus.
bronia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the manga and deciding it just wasn't for me because the narrative had way too much stuff going on and kept jumping around. I can only describe it as an "and then and then and then" type of story where the arcs had no real cause and effect. I gave up on the manga because I couldn't get past the bad writing and unbelievable love. I intended to give the anime a chance because I want to support more yuri adaptations, but maybe by supporting the adaptations of things I don't like I send the wrong message (that is, make more trashy fan service yuri).

I don't know. I might still try it but I really struggle with how much I didn't like the source material coupled with the very mixed reviews (that hint toward only an exacerbation of the problems I had with the manga). Hopefully we get fewer adaptations of "trashy" yuri works and more adaptations of the ones that I like (I'm so beyond excited for kase-san).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
While I agree that this series has some problems, Yuzu's lack of passivity is what will probably keep me coming back all season. She doesn't just let things happen to her. While her turning the tables on Mei in episode 3 does seem to be setting a trend for one aggressive make-out per episode, it also acknowledges that she's not going to be just led along by Mei, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This anime looks pretty interesting. I’ve never been a yuri fan (always been a yaoi kind of guy) now have I every seen any yuri related media, but this may be my first. Yaoi/Yuri have always been a taboo subject to touch, but this series takes it further by making the girls step sisters. I’ll definitely add this to my ‘plan to watch’ list
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3