• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Violet Knight eBook 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
I wasn't the biggest fan of this volume, mostly because of Yuki. I felt she was too passive as a protagonist, content to be led around by the people around her all the time. If that's meant to be seen as flaw in her character, i didn't pick that up. I also didn't like how quickly she forgave someone who absolutely did not deserve a redemption arc, all because they felt a little badly about their actions.

This might be because this was intended for a female audience, with a different set of tropes and wish-fulfillment that i have a harder time relating to as a guy. I have seen some of these tropes used before, in stuff like Basara, Fushigi Yugi, and other classic shojo stories. Yuki doesn't necessarily have to punch dragons to death or anything, i just hope she takes charge of her own story more in future volumes.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I wasn't the biggest fan of this volume, mostly because of Yuki. I felt she was too passive as a protagonist, content to be led around by the people around her all the time. If that's meant to be seen as flaw in her character, i didn't pick that up. I also didn't like how quickly she forgave someone who absolutely did not deserve a redemption arc, all because they felt a little badly about their actions.

This might be because this was intended for a female audience, with a different set of tropes and wish-fulfillment that i have a harder time relating to as a guy. I have seen some of these tropes used before, in stuff like Basara, Fushigi Yugi, and other classic shojo stories. Yuki doesn't necessarily have to punch dragons to death or anything, i just hope she takes charge of her own story more in future volumes.

I can't stand Fushigi Yugi because of horrible of a lead Miaka is. Maybe it's just been a while for me (and yet I refuse to give it another shot), but I felt she was entitled and obnoxious. It wasn't even like she was naive, she was just willfully ignorant and then held others back or didn't try. But A lot of Watase's female protags are very passive or irritating like that.

I felt Sarasa in Basara was a great lead, who got to balance how vulnerable but also progressive she was. (Sometimes it was drawn out, but it was also refreshing that other female characters got to have a moment to shine and pull her out of it, and not just male characters, as others series might do.) But the redemption angle in that series got irritating.

I'm realizing now how annoying and light redemption is handled in a lot of stuff though. Not sure if realizing that makes it easier for me to read or not, personally. But it is kind of eye-opening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1