• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Honestly if you were just going to trash on it to some ridiculous degree you should have just used common sense and not review it. You aren't serving anything of value to readers here. You are going to antagonize people who like it and you are just setting up the comment section for some of the worst possible toxic environment for those who will jump on your hate bandwagon. I know I am not going to get much support from people here, but this kind of 1 sided super toxic write-up is pretty bad. I don't see why it even got allowed.

You are basically calling your readers who enjoyed it "bad". That's some bad practice imo.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
how dare you say the show about a grown man grooming his teenage brother-son for sex is gross
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Still no new Shelf Obsessed, eh? Well in that case, I've got you covered. I'll send an e-mail asap Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
but she didn't hell she said the opposite that liking it did not reflect badly on you and that fetishes are odd like. She made the review is some one would have to do it and no one on staff liked it
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Honestly if you were just going to trash on it to some ridiculous degree you should have just used common sense and not review it.

Why even have a "perishable" category if reviewers can't use it to trash shows they didn't enjoy and thought were bad? I'm reminded of the old, "I give this pile of garbage the lowest possible grade I am capable of giving a film: a C-" joke.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that at least one other person besides me acknowledges Keijo!!!!!!!! as a true masterpiece! But seriously, i found that show endlessly entertaining and engaging, and i don't even consider myself a fan of "fanservice" series. Can't wait to watch the bluray i preordered.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think that review was quite tasteful. It even pointed out that liking shows like this doesn't necessarily mean that one is morally wrong as a person.

The shows content is highly objectionable, and that should not be a truth that is beyond pointing out. Criticism like this will pop up whenever shows handle a big age difference that includes minors. We see the same with 'After the Rain' and 'Ancient Magus' Bride', only less so, because they don't (haven't yet?) really dive into sexual aspects of those relationships.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Honestly if you were just going to trash on it to some ridiculous degree you should have just used common sense and not review it.

This may sound outlandish to you, but reviewing anime is in fact her job. If not Gabriella someone else would've done it and trashed it all the same because afaik, no ANN staff liked the show
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Why even have a "perishable" category if reviewers can't use it to trash shows they didn't enjoy and thought were bad? I'm reminded of the old, "I give this pile of garbage the lowest possible grade I am capable of giving a film: a C-" joke.

Well I'm just saying why have a review that's just really trashing and shaming about a very niche genre like BL. Nobody is forcing anyone to review the show and will a review(if we can call it that) like that really serve anyone? Not really. I just don't see the logic behind it other then forcing someone to review something they obviously dislike and annoy people who actually likes it. Anyway. I said my piece.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
"equivalent lolicon shows like Prisma Ilya "

I take great offense if you're comparing Prisma Ilya with this garbage.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For instance, Haru repeatedly emphasizes how it's “normal” for them to sleep together (it's not) or help each other get off (super not).

Ah, so maybe that's why they call it Super Lovers.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Nobody is forcing anyone to review the show and will a review(if we can call it that) like that really serve anyone? Not really.

This is actually very useful for people who like BL but might have been unsure about whether to watch this show. People who enjoy those fetishes would know by Gabriella's review that they are present in the show so it might be worth their time, while people who are put off by things like shotacon and grooming will know to stay clear of it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
There was a sequel?

How about a prequel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no (not-counting-statutory) rape in it, but that's about all I can muster in the show's favor.

No full on rape but, it does have attempted rape too. So might be worth pointing that content out instead. For some reason this show ends up recommended by people and on lists of BL for being consensual. Except it is not, and when content is repeatedly overlooked or misrepresented like that not only does it make for some bad information in considering a title, it does kind of worry me about people’s desensitization and perceptions of issues in real life instead of just something in fiction.

Also laws aren’t the same everywhere and often involve more than just age. But, this is fiction again so I don’t see the point of going there except maybe on a personal level where cultural aspects could play a role for the individual in how they analyze their fiction too. So I'm guessing in addition this would be a statutory problem for the reviewer however, where I grew up that’s not the case. I suppose I would have written something more like “not counting potential statutory” or maybe tried to expand on personal perspective there.

Really reading the review I feel bad for Gabriella that she ended up stuck with the task of covering this release. Maybe if in your own staff someone has to take one for the team ANN should try to look more afield. Or consider letting a release go quietly without more attention if a suitable piece for the site can’t be commissioned. Which what I mean by suitable is ANN feeling a piece meets its standards. I do think Gabriella's review could be helpful for people though, it's a bit uncomfortable to read because she had a bad time of it.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Also I see no mention of this anywhere in her review, but FUNi's release comes with the OVA. It's super fun. It's also the only way to watch it legally since it doesn't stream anywhere.

Pretty cool that FUNi went the extra mile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7