• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Could the Winter Olympics Feature Yuri!!! on Ice?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what the “could” in this article means. “Yuri on Ice” IS Kihara-Suzaki pair’s SP song so...yes? The answer is clearly yes? This has been known for quite some time, and they’re already practicing it. Unless something goes terribly wrong and they have to change it, why would you think they won’t skate their Grand Prix program that they’ve already been seen practicing?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, there is literally no "if" in this equation, the games start in three days and they're practicing with that song, they're absolutely gonna use it.

The article seems awfully clickbaity and no offense to Lynzee but the writing feels sloppy, like it was done in a rush. Instead you could've just called it "Yuri on Ice makes an appearance at the Winter Olympics". You could've talked a bit more about Suzaki/Kihara's performances through the season -including the fact that they're Japan's national champions or that they recently got new career best scores at the 4 Continents Championship, where they placed 8th.
As a sidenote, the Russian team has been spotted training with cardboard cutouts of the YOI main characters
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even Funimation put up an aptly marketing-focused billboard for the series outside the SAP Center ice arena in San Jose.

Whoa, YOI billboard in my hometown? Anime hyper That's kinda funny.
Songster01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Each time "Yuri on Ice" is played in the Olympics, Yamamoto's smile grows even more enigmatic .

More seriously, she and Kubo must be over the moon with all the love competitive skaters have shown YOI. Not mentioned in the article is Adam Rippon and Jason Brown's most recent YOI references: Adam picked up a Christophe mini pillow and flashed it at the kiss and cry after his SP at the US Nationals and Jason took pictures of himself with the "Podium Family" standees at the GPF.

Oh and a glorious paean to the show appeared in the New York Times Magazine last week as part of a lovely tribute to the artistry of Jason Brown by Patricia Lockwood:

Not long ago, I became obsessed with “Yuri!!! On Ice,” a 12-episode anime series about male figure skaters. Like Brown himself, the show saw no exact category for what it wanted to be and so created its own. It focuses on the triangle of Yuri, a middle-of-the-pack Japanese figure skater who can’t reliably land quads; his 15-year-old Russian competitor Yurio, who hits multiple quads with ease; and their coach, the resplendent technical wizard Victor. Yuri pines after Victor, and the force of his adoration is so great that it propels him all the way to the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, an actual event.

None of this fully explains how hypnotic the show is. It presents male figure skating in all its queerness, its hopefulness, its utopianism. Neon streams between the buildings; swish swish go the blades across the soundtrack; snow falls steadily, like tributes the sky tosses to the ground. “Yes, we were born to make history,” the theme song insists.

There is something particular about where the mind goes when you watch skating. It glides along with the action. The turns happen inside the head, the jumps float right up to the top of the skull. You are alone in a spotlight. Part of the genius of “Yuri!!! On Ice” is to present Yuri’s skates as interior monologues made physical, just as Brown described his own to me in an email: “I tend to talk to myself and my body during my programs, which sounds sort of crazy.” Yuri is working something out. When he breaks through, when he defeats the flinchings and hesitations of his body and brings it into full collaboration with his desires, he is declaring love. Yuri’s animated figure moves into a smooth, spinning blur, and I am reminded of what Agnes de Mille wrote in “Dance to the Piper” about ballet: It “represents the body as we wish it were, not one of our bodies well used, but a dream body liberated from trouble.

The dream body moves through a universe where someone who skates with tenderness and vulnerability can stand on the podium next to a peerless technician who represents the new future of skating. This is not strict realism, no. But that is what’s so touching about it: Here is someone determined to impose his imagination on a crueler and more hostile reality. Here is a snow globe with its own sky, and if you want to join us inside, you’re welcome."

Link: [url]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/31/magazine/winter-olympics-figure-skating-jason-brown.html/url]
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
A good show gets ads that are also nice? I am a bit surprised.

I'm used to the few good shows that get a mainstream attempt getting some sorta cringey advertisement. Everything is going so well for that franchise/series without any missteps. A welcome progression.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
Songster01 wrote:

Oh and a glorious paean to the show appeared in the New York Times Magazine last week as part of a lovely tribute to the artistry of Jason Brown by Patricia Lockwood:
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/31/magazine/winter-olympics-figure-skating-jason-brown.html

The link seems to not work, but that's one of the most beautiful articles about an anime I've read. I love it when series like Yuri!! On Ice come along - for all anime's faults, for all the questionable things in a lot of series, for the way people view anime fans - that a series can break through the way people look down on anime, and really capture people's imaginations.
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember Chinese ice skater Lu Chen doing a routine to the title music of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FQNMp2bylAhY&h=ATP6vXeLfmHEqgoocxJtCdbE1KyXR5o7eCFJOHVJKZ1uoEsPjkeUj2LlQwR2uRv6Of7PLSAVoHe-Y3D90JSgWyPhOUqzXbnspdtkZ3dq9SKi4GGBBcrt6vorrDJozsJcy8ErVWOTg9I6ULmf4CgRAF6r77-djQ

PS There was a shortened URL but it was 'expanded' after copy/paste!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1