• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Invests in Australia's Madman Anime Distribution Company

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
In wrestling terms, I fear this is akin to one of the babyfaces suddenly aligning with the heel team. We shall have to see whether this changes much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to have Aniplex prices in Australia too,mate!
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The absolute madman
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I've always thought Madman was basically the distributor for Funimation titles in Oz and NZ.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Interesting. I've always thought Madman was basically the distributor for Funimation titles in Oz and NZ.

Apparently, they do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
...which makes Aniplex's investment in them a little odd. Unless Madman is going to become the distributor for Aniplex titles in that part of the world.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that this, later down the line, doesn't mean an increase in pricing.

Also has me wondering about the Monogatari Series. Since Hanabee have been the ones releasing that series, I kind of hope it doesn't lead to this changing hands. Have liked their releases. If it was all of a sudden to fall over to Madman, I would hope that they'd do similar packaging etc, purely down to how it'd like on my shelf. Laughing
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Madman distributes Aniplex titles already, at prices a liitle higher than for other companies. In the last year or so Madman has successfully organised mainstream cinema releases for Aniplex films. The relationship seems to working well for both of them.

I depend on Madman so much for my pastime. They service a comparitively small market well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JRPictures

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It depends on what licences they get as they also distribute titles from Sentai, Viz and Aniplex USA etc. (plus the Funiroll deal has kinda screwed them over in both streaming and home video terms unless they picked up a show before the deal came to be e.g. Testament of Sister New Devil, Kancolle)
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex producer Atsuhiro Iwakami was a guest at the Madman Anime Festival in Melbourne in November which I thought was a bit odd. Now it makes a lot more sense. Hanabee distributes a fair amount of Aniplex stuff, so this deal is going to cut off another source of product for them.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I'm hoping that this, later down the line, doesn't mean an increase in pricing.

Also has me wondering about the Monogatari Series. Since Hanabee have been the ones releasing that series, I kind of hope it doesn't lead to this changing hands. Have liked their releases. If it was all of a sudden to fall over to Madman, I would hope that they'd do similar packaging etc, purely down to how it'd like on my shelf. Laughing

I kinda doubt that would happen, especially since Hanabee has been rereleasing a lot of Monogatari stuff these past few month in standard edition cases. Though frankly I wouldn't have minded if Monogatari landed in Madman's hands instead (at least they could guarantee getting Kizumonogatari in cinemas whilst Hanabee couldn't and still have said NOTHING about when they're releasing it on DVD/Blu-ray)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
So, if Aniplex was to buy a majority of Madman, then someday it might become a cousin company of sorts to Funi should the USDOJ approve Sony Pictures' majority buyout of Funi.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
So, if Aniplex was to buy a majority of Madman, then someday it might become a cousin company of sorts to Funi should the USDOJ approve Sony Pictures' majority buyout of Funi.

That deal has been completed for several months now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/news/funimation-is-now-owned-by-sony/vi-AAucLC7
Gilgamesh Prime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
i am hoping to see madman revive their eastern eye label (which is pretty much dead) and maybe release some more jdrama like tofu pro wrestling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1