• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Citrus' Forbidden Romance Trash or Treasure?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Citrus is more like a painting of a dumpster fire

This is the single most brilliant analogy I've seen in a long time.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not a show for everyone but clearly not trash, everything about citrus is decent-good, i enjoy the manga and so far this adaptation is better that I was expecting when they announced it. As long you aren't picky about everything it is perfectly acceptable.
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
How can NTR be less uncomfortable than any scene in Citrus? Just because it wasn't graphic? The implications of what happened is still there, and hell, we see a girl with a black eye forcing herself to have sex with a guy she doesn't like. Citrus might have some sexual assault scenes, but NTR was legit rape.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
How can NTR be less uncomfortable than any scene in Citrus? Just because it wasn't graphic? The implications of what happened is still there, and hell, we see a girl with a black eye forcing herself to have sex with a guy she doesn't like. Citrus might have some sexual assault scenes, but NTR was legit rape.

its one of the reasons why i avoided it like the plague. dont get me wrong i like yuri series, and i like trashy fanservice series too (ie OniAi , Aki Sora , Girls Bravo and kodomo no jikan) , but yea...... NTR is definitely trashy. and NOT IN A GOOD WAY!! that series as well as scum's wish deserves to be in the worst series of 2017 in more ways than one.

Quote:
I will admit that I'm a big fan of Citrus' director, Takeo Takahashi. He worked on one of my favorite shows of all time, Spice & Wolf, but he also adapted the legendary visual novel, Yosuga no Sora. So in my estimation, he's already proven that he can give the trashiest source material possible the thoughtful, beautiful, and cheeky adaptation that it might not deserve. I don't know if Citrus will live up to Yosuga no Sora's heights, but I think he's done a commendable job so far.

afraid it wont happen. and its due to the fact that unlike in yosuga no sora, those two AREN'T blood related. and i wont be surprised at the slightest that the reason its like that is due to the "oreimo curse!"

Quote:
I will defend it to my grave. (And in Hell, which is where I'm going, because I enjoy Yosuga no Sora.)

well, you'll definitely have me in that corner as well Laughing

cause its light novels/visual novels like yosuga no sora, sister princess , and especially Koi Kaze , Cress Celestial Legend & Angel Sancutary that make me a die hard fan of love stories involving this genre. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I recently gave up on this show. Once you realize you don't care if the main couple gets married or dies in a fire, it's time to go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Good column.

Last edited by 鏡 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 pm; edited 13 times in total
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Every episode I wonder to myself: if Yuzu's mom married this guy and he's obviously quite wealthy, and they live in this fancy huge apartment, why in the hell do the two daughters have to share a bedroom?! Why the hell do they only have one bed?! My theory is that the mother and father are some kinda sick perverts that are experimenting on their poor daughters, to what end, I have no idea. Sad
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Every episode I wonder to myself: if Yuzu's mom married this guy and he's obviously quite wealthy, and they live in this fancy huge apartment, why in the hell do the two daughters have to share a bedroom?! Why the hell do they only have one bed?! My theory is that the mother and father are some kinda sick perverts that are experimenting on their poor daughters, to what end, I have no idea. Sad

If some kind of plot twist like this actually happened in Citrus, the series would instantly skyrocket to a 10/10 for me, lol.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:

It's more to do with the direction/framing of the scenes in each show. NTR has lots of awful stuff going on, but usually either doesn't show it, or animates it in a way that's meant to be salacious or appealing to the viewer. Textually it is far more objectionable than Citrus, but in terms of how it's delivered to the viewer, it doesn't have much impact.

Citrus, on the other hand, is a lot more visceral with the assault scenes. Mei's forced kiss in the first episode is framed like she's strangling Yuzu, and we see quick cuts of Yuzu flailing as she tries to fight back, while Mei's face is obscured or kept off camera. It's more upsetting to look at because it's meant to be, basically.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
It’s a stained glass dumpster fire.
dragonslayer023

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
How could you watch the whole show up to this point and still call it trash? It's clearly well made, thoughtful, and respectful of its characters. But nope lesbian incest so TRASH. You cover anime for a living, you seriously need to get over it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dragonslayer023 wrote:
How could you watch the whole show up to this point and still call it trash? It's clearly well made, thoughtful, and respectful of its characters. But nope lesbian incest so TRASH. You cover anime for a living, you seriously need to get over it.

All your claims in the bolded statement are highly debatable. If you want to see a clearly well made, thoughtful and respectful of its characters show that also deals with a conceptually problematic relationship, you are much better off to be watching After the Rain.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode of this that was enough this will probably end up in the same place as Super Lovers in that it will be appreciated by those who enjoy this sort of thing. Also interesting to hear Yosuga no Sora mentioned and I know the line about defending it in Hell to paraphrase liberally was meant as a rhetorical device but Res ipsa loquitur.
vestenet
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I know we toss around the term a lot in this column, but for the record, my official position is "trash is good actually"
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We get both the questionable "girl moves in with a new jackass sibling/love interest" setup from shoujo manga combined with all the nonsense of trashy yuri. Yet despite the one-two of problematic genres, I think I'm kind of down with this show? It's not great, but it's also not the most reprehensible thing you could be watching.

I'm a simple user who is curious how these shoujo premises are in a yuri variation, and man Citrus just delivers. I'm just having a romping good time watching this since we have a yuri title that's a no-nonsense romance title and doesn't drag too much.

Now someone should make yuri version of Fushigi Yuugi where a girl gets transported to another world and has a harem team of other girls fighting for her against some evil doer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3